Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Anyone 3d printing their own bases?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JozisTinManJozisTinMan
    Participant

If so, how thick and what sizes? I am thinking about doing 1mm thick 30mm or 40mm x 20mm, any opinions on feasibility?  Printer is still a couple of weeks out.

Thanks!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

The bases I have printed out have all been “scenic”, like having the look of sci-fi spaceship corridor or with steampunk gears and the like as opposed to plain flat types.  For me it’d be less work to buy regular bases than grow my own.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

JozisTinManJozisTinMan
    Participant

I figured. I have a new hammer with the 3D printer, ergo I will make every problem a nail…

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

They’re a lot of fun to use, so much so that I have invented projects in order to use mine even more, so you’re not alone!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

MartinRMartinR
    Participant

I ‘3d print’ my bases by cutting them out of artist mounting board in the required size. I’m sure it is a lot cheaper than printing them…

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

JozisTinManJozisTinMan
    Participant

@Martin I don’t even have the stupid thing yet, and I am already trying to use it for ridiculous applications.   I will probably stick with laser cut MDF bases.

Once I get up and running, I am going to do some controlled experiments with slicer setting and scaling using a M-26 Pershing tank, so I can do apples to apples comparisons.

Joe ShaughnessyJoe Shaughnessy
    Participant

I print bases of various types.  I have the whole range of WRG standard bases, GW style, Bolt Action, FoW, just about anything.  I did the math and the amount of filament used is cheaper than buying them.  So whenever I get to the end of a roll of filament I use the rest to print off bases and throw them in the storage bin.  If you look on Thingiverse you can find several customizable files to print bases with slots, sloped sides, ovals, etc.

Adrian Arnold
    Participant

For the most part I do –

28mm: Most minis are hex based but I find the usual hex bases too thick so have knocked a few different sized and pattern of base up. Works for both Skirmish and Gurps RPG as well

15mm – Fantasy most units are element based – For the most part we use commercial 2mm MDF bases for these, simply for ease.

15mm skirmish – custom 20/24/30/40mm round bases (Depends on model) with a recess in them to help reduce the visibility of integral bases – Also use the same but without the recess for slotta base minis that have the tabs clipped off

6mm – Pretty much all custom printed – artly as still trying to decide on a basing scheme for fantasy and easier to print of 2-3 bases than order a batch – Sci-fi – custom again generally 20×40 for infantry with varying numbers of insets for mini’s – again have none inse versions but as don’t need too many it’s easy enough to print.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.