Home Forums Air and Sea Air Anyone interested in helping me design aircraft?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 19 hours, 3 minutes ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Thomaston
    Participant

Hi, I want to make up some fictional designs for my air combat game, it’s going to be 3D printed. The aircraft will be strictly 50s technology like La-15, mig-15, F-84F, Mystere IV, Yak-28. There’s no other limitation except to keep it kind of realistic, nothing too weird like Luftwaffe WWII designs.

I’m looking for maybe 5 designs. We could design by committee or each person work on a single design. Submission could be description or sketch. I’ll ask a series question about specific parts and then post a render, rinse and repeat until we’re happy.

Once it’s done I can give you the STL file of your design in the scale of your choice (1/1250-1/350).

Anyone interested?

Life's too long.

RogerBW
    RogerBW
    Participant

Interested, and I have some 3D design experience (blender and openscad), as well as a printer.

Thomaston
    Participant

I was looking for help with working on the looks of the planes and was going to do the 3D models myself. You’re welcome to chip in and make your version of the design briefs.

We might be able to pass files back and forth to make changes? What program do you use?

Life's too long.

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

The aircraft will be strictly 50s technology like La-15, mig-15, F-84F, Mystere IV, Yak-28. There’s no other limitation except to keep it kind of realistic, nothing too weird like Luftwaffe WWII designs.

Heh. The 1950s are surely the most amply fruitful decade there ever was for weird and bizarre aircraft designs.

Grabbing the copy of the 1955 edition of “The Observer’s Book of Aircraft” from the bookshelf, I cite in evidence:

1. Avro 707B or C — teeny delta.
    2. Boulton Paul P.111A — another teeny delta, with nose intake.
    3. Chance Vought F7U-3 Cutlass — is it tailless, or a twin tail?
    4. Convair F-102A — the classic Dagger, with retractable missiles.
    5. Convair GRB-36J Ficon — not your everyday aluminium overcast B-36, but one with an underslung parasite fighter.
    6. Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart — Delta hydro-ski seaplane fighter.
    7. Convair XFY-1 — tail-standing turboprop VTOL fighter.
    8. De Havilland DH 110 — twin-boom Sea Vixen prototype.
    9. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray — weird composite construction, but a speed record holder.
    10. Douglas F3D-2 Skyknight — conventional-looking straight-winged jet fighter, but carrying radar and four Sparrows.
    11. English Electric P.1A — Lightning prototype, and even uglier.
    12. Folland FO.139 Midge — teensy Gnat forerunner.
    13. Fouga C.M.170R Magister — the world’s first basic jet trainer, with the lovely V tail.
    14. Gloster Javelin F.(A.W.)1 — the first mark of the Harmonious Dragmaster.
    15. Lockheed XFV-1 Salmon — in case one tail-sitting turboprop VTOL fighter wasn’t enough.
    16. MiG 15 — the classic MiG shape, the soldier-aircraft.
    17. North American F-86D Sabre — the Sabre-Dog, complete with shoot-you-in-the-face unguided air-to-air rockets.
    18. SAAB J29F — the flying barrel.
    19. Sud-Est S.E.5000 Baroudeur — trolley-launched swept-wing jet fighter.
    20. Sud-Ouest S.O. 9000 Trident — jet pods on the wing tips.

You might get weirder designs after a drunken lobster dinner with Heath Robinson, but it won’t be easy.

All the best,

John.

Thomaston
    Participant

Yeah, too many weirdness in the 50s.

So, Roger want to start designing?

Life's too long.

RogerBW
    RogerBW
    Participant

Sorry, thought I’d subscribed to this. OpenSCAD and Blender mostly.

Do you have some design briefs? I.e. when someone went to the bureau and asked for an aircraft design, what did it need to do? Dogfighter, missile first stage like an F-104, etc.? Otherwise I might start looking at the Avro 730…

Thomaston
    Participant

What I had in mind were single seat fighters or light fighters. I figured they’d be easier to do than more complex/larger aircraft.

More detailed description

Single or two engine
    Single seat
    Fighter/Fighter Bomber/Interceptor
    No radar (initially)
    Land based or carrier based conventional takeoff

Life's too long.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

How about:

de Havilland Vampire, but with single engine in body (much like the Yak-15?) and swept wings?

F-84 or even Mig-15 with a V-tail?

Maybe a jet version of the J7W Shinden or 1950’s version of the Curtiss-Wright XP55 Ascender?  Or is that to 1940’s?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

The Japanese were ahead of us with the jet J7W. The Yak-15 redan layout is interesting, any idea on how I can make the fuselage more unique?

• This reply was modified 5 days, 22 hours ago by  Thomaston.

Life's too long.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Maybe move the wings to be low instead of mid-set?  Or perhaps give it a Mig-21 style canopy spine?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Check out the Nazi experimental designs at http://www.luft46.com/.  They’re what I imagine the air war in Europe would have looked like if we hadn’t won in 1945, and things dragged on.  They have a very “Early 50’s” first-generation look to them.  Just food for thought.

Thomaston
    Participant

The one to the right is beginning to look good to me. It’s also looking like one of the Luftwaffe’s design, but then against what early jet doesn’t. How about the wings, tail and horizontal stab?

Life's too long.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It does look pretty good!  Don’t recall if there is a V tail that looks similar, but that might be different.  Or perhaps bringing the forward bases of the VS and HS forwards some to give them deeper triangles?

Thomaston
    Participant

Went back and played with the wing position again and Design A high wing looks pretty menacing. The spine looks quite good and help differentiate it from Luftwaffe designs. I might put the missiles on Design B further out to middle of wing.

Any changes or refinements?

Design A    (low, mid, high)                                            Design B

Life's too long.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Look like the air forces of Krasnynorad and Azurnerreich.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh yes, high-wing design A looks fantastic!

For some reason I’m just not buying design B as much.  Has a sort of cartoony look (which I actually like, but may not be good for this usage?).  I think moving the HS to the top of the tail, maybe with a little bit of a dihedral might change it up enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

Krasnynorad and Azurnerreich? Are these imaginations?

Made the planes more realistically proportioned and Design B a little smaller.

If design A is all good I’ll need a name for it.

Life's too long.

Mr. Average
    Participant

They’re the Red and Blue superpowers from the old boardgame Blitzkrieg.  And those look terrific!

Thomaston
    Participant

Anyone want the STL file for these just give me the wing span you want and I’ll scaled them.

Life's too long.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.