Home Forums Air and Sea Naval AOS Ships at MillenniumCon on Friday

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve been out of touch for a few weeks, so am catching up on naval topics.  Below is a report of two games that I ran at a convention in the Austin area last weekend.

On November 10 and 11, I took the ships and Post Captain rules to MillenniumCon in Austin.  While there, I ran two games using the rules, one with only a single ship per side, and a scenario with 10 ships and 8 players in total.  Although I took more photos of the second game, both games were quite interesting albeit for different reasons.

In the first game, I simply pitted a British 74 Large (HMS Northumberland) against a French 74 (Cassard, of the Cassard/Temeraire class).  The two players very quickly understood the rules, and both played their ships as one might expect.  The French player had the wind gauge, and at first stayed outside the 400-yard range so he could move first.  He would duck inside 400 yards to fire during one impulse of the turn, and then move out again in the next impulse.  He kept firing high and getting rigging hits, but the British player was lucky, and kept repairing them.  The British player fired low, and kept chewing away at the Cassard’s guns and hull.  He did get a critical that destroyed the pumps, but the French player wasn’t yet concerned about that damage.   Finally though, the Frenchman managed to get a critical that broke the Northumberland’s fore topyard and that gave Cassard a slight speed advantage.  Now, the Cassard started closing the range to utilize her advantage.  As she approached the Englishman at an angle, it was clear that she was going to use her speed advantage to pull ahead.  Then, once she had the initiative she would turn and deliver a bow rake on Northumberland.   Instead, the British player got a critical hit with his starboard boardside and shot away Cassard’s wheel.  With the Frenchman forced to go straight, Northumberland could turn and deliver a devastating (6 hits, 12 damage rolls) stern rake at about 50 yards with the previously unengaged larboard broadside.  When the smoke cleared, Cassard had the following damage, including what was inflicted in previous turns:

1.       Captain dead,

2.       4 Crew hits and 3 Marine hits,

3.       5 Rigging hits,

4.       Mizzen topgallant mast fallen,

5.       Main topgallant mast sprung,

6.       7 Gun box hits (out of 26 total),

7.       5 Hull hits,

8.       Pumps out,

9.       Wheel smashed and

10.   One boat smashed.

At this point, the French player agreed to strike his colors.  By contrast, Northumberland had taken only:

1.       2 crew hits and 1 Marine hit,

2.       1 Gun box hit,

3.       2 boats smashed and

4.       Fore topsail yard broken

There were also 3 Rigging hits, but they were repaired during the battle.  Both players said that they enjoyed the game.  More importantly, I overheard the losing player describing the game to his friends afterwards and he was both enthusiastic about it and very complimentary.

EDIT: A more complete report along with some photos is up on the blog. https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Brian Weathersby.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Brian Weathersby. Reason: corrected blog link

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

kyoteblue
    Participant

Good report, but your link didn’t work for me.

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Sorry about that.  I went back and corrected the link. 

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

kyoteblue
    Participant

Beautiful ships and good AAR, thanks.

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Tim,

Thanks.  I actually took some more closeups, but they turned out blurry.  In trying to take pictures in a hurry without holding up the game, I do that a lot.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

I like the level of detail in the damage. PC might be a set of rules I look into. The AAR seems very evocative of the period.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

The damage model is very detailed, because the rules are designed for moderate sized engagements and not fleet battles.  They even say “For every fleet action, there were a hundred frigate, sloop and small ship of the line engagements….  It is time for a game that focuses on the single ship duels and small squadron actions that were the main fare of sea officers – a game that provides you an opportunity to highlight seamanship and experience the differences in armament, crews and types of ships along with the details of sea tactics in this era.”

In my opinion, the AAR is evocative only because the game engine allows a level of detail that lets you look at the different types of damage.  What I didn’t put in the report above was that Cassard had taken 5 Hull hits out of 10 total.  If she had taken one more, she would have to man the pumps, or lose a half box per turn to flooding.  Her pumps were not repaired, and that takes a minimum of two game turns and you have to roll a 1-4 on a D12.  Also you can only repair rigging and one other damage type at a time.  If she abandoned repairing the wheel to work on pumps (and took another hull hit in the interim), she would have lost one full Hull box to flooding, even if she managed to make the repair.  She was truly at the point where the various types of damage were about to cascade into something catastrophic, barring some excellent die rolling.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.