Home Forums Modern Apparently I've Become a Vietnam War-Gamer

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Well, it all started about a year ago now. For some reason I’d decided to buy ‘just a few’ 15mm guys to do some skirmishing (actually, that’s all Techno-Phil’s fault: I wanted some 10mm Marines with M-14s but couldn’t get them, so I looked to 15mm!). As part of that I was on Brookhurst Hobbies’ website and ordered a single pack of Peter Pig LRRPs (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, for the uninitiated) and VC (Viet Cong, or Varmint Cong if you listen to Bill Murray). I painted and based both sets up, and a year later neither has seen the table.

But then I (virtually) met Jimmi over at Flashpoint Minis and, well, now I’m a Vietnam War gamer. Previously you’ve seen me post my Flashpoint Minis US Marines (with M-14s, about 70 figures), then Peter Pig Viet Cong (about 30 guys), and then more Flashpoint Minis, this time ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam, AKA South Vietnamese, about 50 figures). And then recently I went nuts and bought a bunch more stuff.

This post is simply to confirm to the world that I am, indeed, a Vietnam-era gamer, and to give a quick overview of all the stuff I recently purchased and finished up. I will be doing my ‘usual’ separate blog post for each subset of troops/terrain/vehicles, but I’m quite proud of myself getting all this done and so wanted to show it off in one grand post. So let’s get to it.

Here’s everything, all my recent purchases painted and based, ready to play. What do we have?
    -Peter Pig NVA Platoon
    -Peter Pig NVA and VC Heavy Weapons (mortars, MGs, and recoiless rifles)
    -Peter Pig VC casualty figures
    -A Peter Pig T-55 (for Laos and Fall of the South)
    -A Zvezda 122mm SPG (ditto)
    -A Battlefront US ‘leg’ Infantry Platoon
    -Two Battlefront OH-6s
    -A Peter Pig M-48
    -Two Peter Pig LVTP-5 Amtracs
    -Flashpoint Minis US tank riders
    -A Peter Pig PBR
    -Three Flashpoint Minis Sampans
    -A village from Flashpoint Minis (four thatch huts, a wooden hut, a corrugated tin shelter, a fish pond, a foot bridge, a Buddhist Shrine, an animal pen, two wooden-staked walls, various pots and containers
    -Flashpoint Minis Palm Trees
    -Pegasus Banana Trees
    To see pics of all that, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/08/apparently-ive-become-vietnam-war-gamer.html

Not pictured: Flashpoint Minis Elephant Grass, and Flashpoint Minis ANZAC Task Force, which I’m still painting up.

Like I said, I’ll be doing separate posts for the various troops, vehicles, and terrain posted here, so stand by for that. And stand by for some Vietnam games! So let me pontificate on that for a moment; I know a lot of you out there in the ether-land love the photos of stuff, but I also know a lot of you enjoy hearing (and/or making fun of me for) my project plans. So here goes.

First, I’m very conflicted on two accounts:

1) I am absolutely committed to fighting out a campaign for the US battle of Dai Do, where 2nd Bn 4th Marines (reinforced by C/1/3) fought an entire NVA division to a standstill. I originally planned on doing this in 15mm, but the overall battle seems to me to lend itself to a series of company-level actions, and that’s pretty big for 15mm (for me at least). So, my issue is whether to do Dai Do as company-level fights (about a dozen of them) in 6mm, or do it as a series of platoon-level fights (about 35 of them!) in 15mm.

2) (and this affects Dai Do as well) I have quite a few ideas for Vietnam projects, but I kind of don’t want to play them as Vietnam campaigns, I want to work them into my existing Cuba Libre alt-history blog. That is, I’d be playing Vietnam fights with Vietnam figures, vehicles, and terrain, but for my campaign purposes the troops would be Cuban Expeditionary Forces rather than US Marines, US Army, or ARVN. This is pretty much solely in the interest of time; I’ve got too many projects, and so this is a means of sorting of killing two birds with one stone. I get to play some Vietnam gaming AND advance my Cuba Libre stuff.

So, what all do I have in mind? This is a list of stuff I will get to (someday):
    -Dai Do, USMC vs NVA
    -Operation Buffalo, USMC vs NVA
    -Operation Starlite, USMC vs NVA
    -Lam Son 719, ARVN vs NVA
    -1972 Easter Offensive, ARVN vs NVA
    -The movie “Platoon,” USA vs NVA/VC
    -Some “Apocalypse Now”-style Air Cav, USA vs VC
    -I’d like to do some Phoenix stuff, though the troops aren’t ready for this yet
    -I’d like to do some SF w/Mike Force stuff, though I don’t have troops for this yet

I’m sure there’s more, but that’s all I can think of for right now.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wowzer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DM
    Participant

Your post has inspired me to look out my collection and start a bit of a sprucing up exercise 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote – Yeah man, I’ve been busy.  What til you and Rod see the Napoleonics I’ve been working on the past few months (and won’t have finished for another ten years!).

DM – Please do, I’d love to see your collection.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Woohoo I should get my Vietnam stuff out and get some pics of it……

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Vietnam – yeah!

Napoleonics – boo!

Nuff said.

Cheers and good non-Napoleonic gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Shaun Travers
    Participant

Well, duh.  Jack, you must have been the only person not to know 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote- Please do, and post them to the FORUM!!! 😉

Rod – Such is the level of discourse now?  Vietnam good, Napoleonics bad?  You should be ashamed of yourself! 😉

Shaun – I’ve always been a bit slow…

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack wrote:

“Rod – Such is the level of discourse now? Vietnam good, Napoleonics bad? You should be ashamed of yourself!”

Jack, my mum taught me when you cannot say anything positive about something say nothing at all. The Vietnam stuff looks very promising. In the realm of Nappies you will hear little from me. My silence will be my scorn! …………………….. crickets ……………………….

Just Jack
    Participant

Dammit!!!!

Nuthin’ worse than Ye Olde Canadian Silent Scorne Crickets…

Nappies are wonderful, quit being so stuck up! 😉

I’ll take your non-response as more scorn…

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

While Vietnam was largely an infantry war, there were, of course, vehicles present. I’ve only got two helicopters, which you’ll see later, but now you get to see what else I’ve got, and the cool thing is that I’ve got vehicles for both sides! And I’ve got land and sea covered 😉

The label says Peter Pig, which is a bit of a little white lie. You see, it’s almost all Peter Pig, but there is one lonely Zvezda vehicle in there.

Here’s the group: a PBR (Patrol Boat, River), two LVTP-5 Amtracs, and M-48 Patton, a T-55, and a 122mm self-propelled gun (I believe the Soviet designation is 2S1?). The T-55 and SPG are for the North Vietnamese, and will come in handy for some late war action, like the Fall of the South, the 1972 Easter Offensive, or Lam Son 719. All the US stuff is in play for the entire war.

The 122mm SPG is the Zvezda model, all the rest is Peter Pig. To see a bunch more pics, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/08/peter-pig-15mm-vehicles-for-vietnam.html

That’s all my vehicles, and all I can see really needing in 15mm. I’d like to have some more helos, some Hueys for the Army and some CH-34s for the Marines, but they’re so big and expensive (and hard to find the -34s) that I’ll probably live without them. More troops and terrain to show ya, so stay tuned.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

While I’m no fan of Peter Pig I do like the Amtracs but would have sanded the bases down. I have the BF PBR’s and they are to my eye better looking. Still have yet to find my battery recharge..for my camera and don’t want to buy a replacement..
    I know you are a mad butterfly, but I would love to see some Nam AAR’s.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Kyote – Thanks man, I’m working on playing some this weekend.

This is a platoon pack of Battlefront Vietnam-era US regular old ‘leg’ infantry, and a pack of two OH-6 light observation helicopters, or ‘LOACHES.’ I’d picked the infantry up quite awhile ago and had them lying on the lead mountain; I’d also purchased the helos some time ago. I assembled them, finished up their flight stands, and primed them, but had them sitting around too. Well, I finally finished both, and I’m glad I did. Battlefront is a bit pricey, and my experience with their infantry has been a bit hit and miss, but these sculpts are really fantastic.

The helos are really good, but the infantry is truly great. There are some flaws; some miscastings (missing rifle barrels and broken carrying handles), the grenadiers are missing pistols (I guess that’s universal), and there was quite a bit of flash on some of the poses (some of which I missed in my clean up, unfortunately), but the poses are really fantastic. I can’t wait to get these on the table; I’m sure most of you have seen the movie ‘Platoon,’ and that’s exactly what I’m thinking with these guys. I’ve even been picking out poses for certain characters, and tired to paint the ‘Electric Strawberry’ patch of the 25th Infantry Division on them.

The whole mess, 44 troops and two helicopters.

A couple grenadiers with M-79s, crouched and moving forward. But their Army, so going in different directions 😉 To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/08/battlefront-vietnam-15mm-us-infantry.html

Well, that’s the ‘Platoon,’ I can’t wait to get them on the table. But there’s a lot of stuff I can’t wait to get on the table. Bear with me, I’m doing my best! More to come.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

You do such a great job painting the BF stuff up !!!! Oh could you show some of the North Vietnam’s and Viet Cong figures.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

It all looks great! I really like the Amtracs. What colour(s) did you use on them? The helo’s and the infantry look great too. Super work Jack and I hope you enjoy the games these will allow you to play.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks guys, though I get a bit worried when Cantankerous Rod is so cordial.

John – I posted the VC previously, but I’ll post the NVA next.

Ive got the table set for some 1965 USMC vs VC, just need to find some time.  My six-year old boy has become seven somehow, parties galore…

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

The Boy is 7 !!!! 10 more years and he will want the car keys !!!!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Eh-hem, I’ll ask again, what colour(s) did you use on the Amtracs? They look really good! Was that cantankerous enough for ya, Jack!

Congratulations for your now 7-year old boy! They grow up so fast don’t they? Cherish these moments of gaming with him because as Kyoteblue alludes to above, when he discovers girls and cars, the old-man’s toy soldiers are going to seem pretty lame for a few years. Imprint him now and hope for the best. And pray he never asks you for the keys to the Amtrac!

Cheers and get off my lawn.

Rod Curmudgeon Robertson. (Sound of a loud Raspberry follows.)

Just Jack
    Participant

Sorry Rod, I missed it!  The Amtrac is simply a Testors spray can of Olive Drab, which I then gave an inkwash to.  Didn’t even drybrush it (as I’ve been doing to the WarPac vehicles), the only real painting I did was the tracks.

And yes, I can’t believe it’s already been seven years for the boy, and my daughter will soon turn ten.

And Amtracs don’t have keys 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Next up in my Vietnam stuff is some Peter Pig NVA and VC. Now, please recall I’ve already shown you pics of a bunch of Peter Pig VC rifles, RPGs, and RPDs I’d finished awhile back. But I decided I had too many VC, so I took some VC I had lying around, and some VC I’d already finished, and painted them up as North Vietnamese Army (NVA) regulars. Then I took some NVA heavy weapons crews I had lying around and painted them too, splitting them between NVA and VC.

The whole gang: there are 28 NVA infantry, six NVA heavy weapons crew, six VC heavy weapons crew, sixteen VC casualty figures (which I’ll also use for NVA), and an unmanned 14.5mm machine gun and an unmanned 7.62mm machine gun (the two reddish brown bases). Unfortunately I forgot to take closeups of those two.

A look at one of the NVA riflemen. To see a bunch more pics, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/08/peter-pig-vietnam-15mm-nva-and-vc-with.html

Well, there’s my bad guys, and I love the figs, just solid, well cast poses. We’ll be seeing these soon; we have to, because they’ll face off against whomever I go with from the good guys, be they Marines, Army, or Special Forces of some type. More to follow.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

They look ok not as crisp as some of the BF NVA/VC but ok. Looking forward to some AAR’s.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

More PP-hate Kyoteblue? You must free your soul and abandon material hate and long-held enmity so as to soar to oneness with the cosmos. If you can do this than blue can become the new orange! Namaste brother, and love all the little piggies in the market.

Cheers and groovy, positive waves man.

Rod Robertson.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Nice! Well done! Looking forward to seeing these in future games. Thanks for posting them for the first time or again as the case may be.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

I absolutely hate going to Jimmi’s webpage (Flashpoint Miniatures, from Down Under)! Whenever I’m there I start looking around, and I don’t really need anything, but I skip from page to page, pic to pic, thinking ‘wow, that would be really cool on the table!’ And that’s how I ended up with some Flashpoint Minis’ 15mm US Tank Riders for the Vietnam War (amongst other things, but that’s in a different post).

The whole group, 28 troops. They come as individuals, I glued them to popsicle sticks. I’m leaving them on the sticks so I can place and remove the troops from vehicles. It looks like it will actually work. There is a good mix of M-16s, M-60s, and M-79s, though no M-14s. I gave them a quick olive drab paintjob and wash, and I’m pretty happy with them.

To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/09/flashpoint-miniatures-vietnam-15mm-us.html

Pretty cool, eh? I really like them. I suppose I need to buy some M-113s, and these guys can serve as Doggies, or even ARVN. We are coming up on a long weekend, and I’ve got all kinds of plans for games, so stand by.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Nice minis Jack and you’ve painted them up nicely. Is Jimmi the “capt jimmi” from another gaming forum? I really like Flashpoint minis. I have some Middle Eastern irregulars, some Somalis and some Afghans from their line.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wowzer I love the way those came out !!!! I could even use them for Team Yankee with a camo paint job…and I already have a ton of M-113’s.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks guys, and yep, Jimmi is Captain Jimmi of Flashpoint Minis.

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Continuing on my descent into Vietnam wargaming madness, I picked up some more minis from Flashpoint Miniatures 15mm range, the pack is called “ANZAC Task Force.” I have nothing against our Australian and New Zealand allies, but they’re just not something I’m interested in wargaming, at least right now. But I what I am interested in doing is some Vietnam special forces-type gaming, and so I wanted troops in bush hats, with light weapons, that could serve a multitude of roles, such as LRRPs, Rangers, Green Berets, SEALs, Marine Recon, MACV-SOG, covert Agency-types, Nungs, and Mike Force guys. So, looking at Jimmi’s web catalog, I spotted these guys and they looked right up my alley.

The whole pack, thirty guys done up in Tiger Stripe camo and on temperate, grassy bases. There were actually 31 guys, but somehow I broke one of the troops (a grenadier) off at the ankles (my own carelessness I’m afraid)…

The troops are well proportioned, weapons look good, and there’s an astounding number of different poses. I will also report there is some real size variation between figures; this may be a turnoff to some, but I don’t mind as 1) real life troops aren’t all the same size, and 2) it will help when I want to have US troops (I’ll use the big’uns) and indigenous troops in the same unit (I’ll use the smaller ones).

There’s one guy who is a bit miscast, hand raised but missing, guess he got caught with a booby trap. Aside from that there were no issues, no real flash, lines are very clean and pronounced, making them very easy to paint up. I’m very happy to have these in my collection, they’re perfect for some games I want to do, and I can’t wait to get them on the table. Let’s get to the poses.

First two up are two leader type poses, officers or NCOs. Guy at left has binos in his left hand, right has no hat and the ubiquitous jungle towel around his neck. Here you can see the guy on left has an SLR; they may be cast just a shade short of real life, but this doesn’t bother me as I wanted all M-16s anyway, and simply painted black I think they work pretty well.

To see closeups of all the poses, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/09/flashpoint-minis-15mm-anzac-task-force.html

Well, that’s the new troops, whaddaya think? I really like them and can’t wait to play some games with them, but I’m not sure where I’ll squeeze them in with all the other projects I have going on right now. Not to mention I’ve got more troops I’ve finished and need to show you. I’ll be posting them in the next few days.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

You did a great job on these !!! Looking forward to some Vietnam AAR’s !!!!

darthfozzywig
    Participant

Super cool!

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks guys!

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.