Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Aragorn vs. Conan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

My son has become obsessed with the LotR movies, so we are watching a piece of either the LotR trilogy or the vile Hobbit trilogy every day. Overdosing on Gandalf and co has got me wondering: who would win in a fight between Aragorn and Conan? They are both tough SOBs. I think Conan has the advantage in raw ferocity, while Aragorn is probably smarter as a fighter.

Who would your money be on? On what do you base your answer.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Rhoderic
    Participant

At any given time this would depend entirely on whether I’m channeling Tolkien or REH right then. And I might equally well be channeling someone entirely different and have, for instance, Iorek Byrnison turn up and whoop them both 

Mike
    Keymaster

By Crom’s teeth what kind of a question is this?

Has Aragon killed any gods?
    Conan has.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Has Aragon killed any gods? Conan has.

Yeah, immediately before “the full horror of it all rushed over the Cimmerian, and he fled, nor did he slacken his headlong flight until the spires of Numalia faded into the dawn behind him”. Wimp 

Rod Robertson
    Participant

In a straight up melee contest I would give Conan odds. But Aragorn is too smart for that and would likely ambush Conan at distance, in a place without cover, and feather the barbarian with bowfire. If that didn’t work he would come up with a more arcane way of disposing of the pesky brute. No Subotai allowed!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Patrice
    Participant

Sean Bean will die anyway.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

General Slade
    Participant

Conan would rip Aragorn’s arms off and beat him to death with the soggy ends.

Patrice
    Participant

It all depends on the context…

— If it’s about wargame rules, I’d give Conan extra strength, much more than Aragorn, and fencing skills; but Aragorn would also have fencing skills and he would use a bow before contact.

— If it’s a Song of Ice and Fire/GoT universe, they will both die for some reason, and their nephews, cousins, and daughters-in-law will continue the fight.

— If it’s a traditional (Good vs Evil) fantasy universe, why would they be fighting each other? some old man will tell them to use their strength more wisely.

— If it’s a non-traditional fantasy universe, they will stop fighting and they will marry each other.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

craig cartmell
    Participant

Of course Aragorn is not the best human fighter in The Lord of the Rings. Boromir is.

And neither could beat Glorfindel, Elrond or Legolas, as they don’t have thousands of years of combat experience to draw upon.

Conan, though, is the champion, unless you put him against Lancelot du Lac or Elric of Melnibone.

Cheers,
    Craig

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare

Paul
    Participant

Yeah, I am inclined to agree that Conan would wipe the floor with Aragorn.
    While googling this subject (because what other place can you see the opinions of random strangers on a non-canonical deathmatch between two fictional characters?) I came across the comment that Conan would crush Aragorn, see Legolas driven before him, and hear the lamentations of the hobbits.

Oh, and Craig: Aragorn is a better fighter than Boromir. GW says so 😉

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Rhoderic
    Participant

I wouldn’t be half surprised if Conan were to fight on Sauron’s side, for pay or for loot. He’d be cruising with the Corsairs of Umbar, or something.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.