Home Forums General Books and Magazines Are there Red Sonja novels?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Thomaston
    Participant

Like the title says, are there novels like Conan or comics/graphic novels only?

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

I think Red Sonja was invented as we know her first in the graphic novels.

I am not convinced she was ever in any Conan stories or even in Hyboria.

IIRC She was a 16th duellist or something called Sonya.
    But Marvel comics thought it would be cool to reinvent her in the Conan world.

Howard certainly never wrote about Hyborian Red Sonja.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks. That explains why I couldn’t find any novels.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

madman
    Participant

Check out Wikipedia. There are novels, I am sure they are “modern”. I was wondering if there was a large collection or graphic novel one could use as a basis.

Robert Armstrong
    Participant

None by Howard, but there were a fairly generic series of novels – from the wiki,

“Sonja has been featured in several novels by David C. Smith and Richard L. Tierney with covers by Boris Vallejo:

#1 The Ring of Ikribu (Ace 1981) (Adapted to comics by Roy Thomas and Esteban Maroto in The Savage Sword of Conan issues 230–3). Smith has written an unproduced screenplay based on this novel.
    #2 Demon Night (Ace 1982)
    #3 When Hell Laughs (Ace 1982)
    #4 Endithor’s Daughter (Ace 1982)
    #5 Against the Prince of Hell (Ace 1983)
    #6 Star of Doom (Ace 1983)”

I have a couple of them, they are fairly unmemorable as stories though.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thank, Robert. I assumed they’d have Red Sonja in the title and all the results I had were cgraphic novels. If they’re unmemorable then I might not bother. I was looking for some non epic fantasy with a female main character.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

If you are after a female lead try The Black Magician series by Trudi Canavan.

No sword play and the female lead is young but plays a key and changing roll through the books.

Steven Francis
    Participant

Vampire Geneviève Dieudonné, might be something. Older Warhammer fantasy novels by Kim Newman/Jack Yovill and therefore more low fantasy than high. I planned on Drachenfels after I finish Dracula this week hopefully…

Thomaston
    Participant

Read some reviews of the red Sonja books on Goodreads and I think I’ll try out the first book. I like one desctiption that says it’s dark, but others says its a formulic story.

£39.38 + £4.90 shipping on Amazon is a little too much though.

Sorry, not into vampires. The only books I read that had vampires (Noble Dead Saga) was about a female vampire hunter charlatan, I can’t remember the name of. I remember one scene from the first book where she and her partner stops by a farm and wanted to buy some bread, the people there brought out a steaming sack of freshly baked bread and tried to rob them. The sack had stale bread with hot water poured over it to make it seem fresh. One of the vapires was a street urchin called “Ratboy” I think, he escaped and was the main antagonist in the second book.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Paint it Pink
    Participant

Like people have said, but The Black God’s Kiss by C. L. Moore that features the redhead warrior Jirel of Joiry.

One is good, more is better
    http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert Armstrong
    Participant

£39.38 + £4.90 shipping on Amazon is a little too much though.

That’s a pretty ridiculous price to ask! I had a dig through the stuff I have in storage and turned up four of them (2,4,5 and 6,) which suggests I probably had the set at some point in the distant past, but I have no clue where those missing ones might be, but of course I fully expect them to turn up in a few months when I am looking for something else completely.

I’d happily post these on to you, if that would be helpful.

Thomaston
    Participant

Let me know when you find the other books, and how much you want for them.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Like people have said, but The Black God’s Kiss by C. L. Moore that features the redhead warrior Jirel of Joiry.

Great suggestion! Jirel is quite a character — and IIRC, there are several stories about her.

Thomaston
    Participant

The Black God’s Kiss
    What is it with these books, are they such a classic that they sell for nearly £40?

I’ve decided to get the £5.59 Kindel version. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Paint it Pink
    Participant

The Black God’s Kiss What is it with these books, are they such a classic that they sell for nearly £40? I’ve decided to get the £5.59 Kindle version. Thanks for the suggestion.

It’s not due to any ‘classic’ status, just down to the stupidities of traditional publishing and letting things go out of print, rather than adopting print on demand. It’s a thing, not all that related to wargaming, but which I have some knowledge of since I’m an indie published author.

Robert Armstrong
    Participant

For the Jirel stories, you may have been better starting with the “Jirel of Joiry” Golden Age Masterworks reprint paperback from a couple of years ago, I don’t have a proper table of contents but at 208 pages it should have most of what you would want in there, and according to Amazon UK it’s £6.35 for the paperback and£ 1.99 for the Kindle version.

Going back to the Red Sonja books, I can’t promise when (or if!) I can actually find the missing two but I will have a look again over this coming week, and let you know if I find them – either way I’ll send you either the four I have now, or all six, and the ‘price’ will be the postage – if I can’t remember the stories, and need to dig through storage boxes to find them, I’m pretty clearly not that interested in them and they are better off going somewhere where they might be more appreciated.

Thomaston
    Participant

@Paint it pink
    I don’t know anything about publishing, but I’d thought Pint on Demand would have a higher overhead than traditional mass paperback per book. With lower demand I wonder how much profit could be had.

@Rober Armstrong
    No rush on the book, I’ll have to read them and I’m not that fast a reader. Went with used books for “Jirel of Joiry”, its cheaper. Looks like 2021 will be a year of book reading.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Paint it Pink
    Participant

@Paint it pink I don’t know anything about publishing, but I’d thought Print on Demand would have a higher overhead than traditional mass paperback per book. With lower demand I wonder how much profit could be had.

There are trade offs. When the tax rules for holding stock in a warehouse changed in the States back in the 1980s, it impacted the Tradpub model of printing. It became no longer cost effective to print a large number and hold the books for later sales. Publishing became driven by the Red Queen model: print the number you expect to sell and then bring another book to market, racing driven by short term sales rather than long term tail.

So books would go out of print, and unless the author had a spike in sales the chances of their back catalogue would diminish. So big sellers like Stephen Kings would have a better chance of having their back catalogue on shelves. All the mid-list authors, not so much.

PoD brings back the long tail for the mid-list authors, and it should be noted that people like Stephen King are starting their own publishing business and using PoD to exploit their back lists and cut out the middlemen in Tradpub who  are ‘carpetbaggers’ using contracts to gain total control over the IP of their authors.

Yes you’ll pay more, but in the long run authors will be able to make a living, and their books will be readily available. YMMV.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks for the explaination. The thing I got the most was, Tax is bad. 😀

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Robert Armstrong
    Participant

@Rober Armstrong
    No rush on the book, I’ll have to read them and I’m not that fast a reader. Went with used books for “Jirel of Joiry”, its cheaper. Looks like 2021 will be a year of book reading.

Well I’ve completely failed to find the missing two – I am certain they are stored safely somewhere but it’s such a safe place I can’t find it any more, though I remain sure in a few months I will be looking for something else completely and find them instead of what I was looking for.

What’s the best way to get these four to you?

Thomaston
    Participant

Kepp the books. I went on a buying spree and have a few to last the year. The 4 you have probably wouldn’t get read at all.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.