Home Forums General General Are you a bold commander?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Are you a bold commander or cautious? All out attack or defend?  I my self-tend to be impetuous.

Northern Monkey
    Participant

I consider myself to have fairly aggressive attacking tendencies in the main, even in defensive scenarios I usually commit some troops to a sally

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Shaun Travers
    Participant

I tend to be on the impetuous side. And not always a good thing!

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m overly cautious, very much on conservation of force.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Rhoderic
    Participant

Depends on how I think I should behave as a commander in the given instance, from a storytelling and roleplaying point of view.

If that’s not an issue (like if I’m free to decide for myself what kind of commander I’m roleplaying in the story that’s playing out on the tabletop) then I tend to be a bit impetuous. I suspect this sometimes annoys my opponents, because they feel like they’re being denied a proper tactical challenge when I opt out of engaging in a game of nerves and maths. But I find that when I do play cautiously, I often become too tense and begin to take the game all too seriously which has a major effect on my mood. So I’ve learned to remind myself that it’s just a game and there’s no shame in throwing caution to the wind and losing because of it. At least I have fun, and my opponents are spared me becoming a gloaty winner or a sore loser because I was too emotionally engaged in the game. Some of my friends really like the tense, tactical element of wargaming (and boardgaming) but what I don’t understand is how it doesn’t give them knots in their stomachs like it does me. I guess I just have the kind of personality that goes from zero to angsty bag of nerves in under six seconds, unless I remember to stop myself, yelling “que sera sera” for a battlecry as I advance pell-mell at my visibly exasperated opponent 

Cautious. Ridiculously, I often try to preserve the “lives” of my little figures.

Am I too imaginative or just rather odd?

donald

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m whatever kind of commander likes to use artillery, preferably cruise missiles. Although airstrikes and air assaults are nice too.

Oddly I guess that would make me “cautious” since I prefer to soften up a target from a long range, then flank and crush it.

Just Jack
    Participant

My go to move is the close assault, though, like Rhoderic, I try to infuse character/personality into the various individuals/leaders on the tabletop and play them in a manner reflecting their personalities.

Unsurprisingly, most of them have quite a taste for cold steel 😉

V/R,

Jack

zippyfusenet
    Participant

I’m cautious, conservative, defensive. I like achieving my objective with few losses. I dislike taking losses. Wargaming for me is a theater-of-the-mind exercise (I know I’ve said that many times); when I enter into the drama of the game, I identify with my little lead soldiers and hate to see them get hurt.

I love bluffing my opponent out of the game, or wrong-footing him into a trap.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

grizzlymc
    Participant

I like to wait until they make a mistake, or their plan unravels and then throw everything into a counterattack.

Ruarigh
    Participant

I tend towards a cautious and defensive peace-through-superior-firepower approach. Missile weapons are my friend. I prefer to keep my toys alive rather than waste them in futile charges.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

deephorse
    Participant

My games are mostly 20mm WWII, and because of time and space limitations they are normally either meeting engagements or 2:1/3:1 attack and defence.  I design the scenarios and the games are at my house and so in the case of attack & defence I give the attacking force to my guests so that they have more to do.  Following on from that, in defence I am neither bold nor cautious.  Correct positioning of defending elements in relation to the terrain is where I get my enjoyment from the scenario, waiting for the right moment to reveal what I have.

In a meeting engagement most forces get spotted early because everything is moving.  Then, rather than rushing to capture and hold the objective, I’ll tend to try to destroy the opposition first at range, and then casually capture the crossroads etc., assuming I’m not destroyed myself of course!  So I guess that counts as cautious.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Northern Monkey
    Participant

Out of curiosity and as a sort of follow up question to the OP; of those of us who are more impetuous/aggressive/bold, do you think you tend to win more than you lose?

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I’ve been described as the kind of person who should command the Light Brigade if there’s ever a refight of Balaclava, I like to tell myself that’s to do with being bold and impetuous rather than simply incompetent. :p

Success and failure is about 50/50, but I rarely regret it either way. 🙂

Rhoderic
    Participant

Regarding “futile charges”, if it needs pointing out I’d stay my hand if advancing, charging, extending my forces or whatever is obviously disadvantageous, most certainly if the prospects are so bad that the word “futile” is germane. When speaking of being impetuous, I’m referring mainly to situations where the risk-reward projection seems to be more-or-less even. (EDIT: Or where I’m meant to be roleplaying an absolute madman.)

And as for preserving lives and conserving forces, that’s where roleplaying comes into play for me. I will interpret from the scenario and its background how the commander I’m roleplaying feels about preservation and conservation. Especially in games of a fantastical nature, some commanders are meant to be callous and it would be adverse to the storytelling exercise to roleplay them otherwise. It all depends on the specifics.

Out of curiosity and as a sort of follow up question to the OP; of those of us who are more impetuous/aggressive/bold, do you think you tend to win more than you lose?

No, I’d say it’s about 50/50. But that’s still an improvement over playing cautiously, which tends to lose me more games than it wins (or that’s my subjectively felt experience anyway, lacking proper statistical data). As I tend to suffer when I’m drawn into tense, calculative games of outsmarting and counter-outsmarting, being relatively impetuous is a way of denying my opponent an advantage and raising my chances of winning.

But again, I will refrain from impetuousness if the roleplaying aspect calls for it.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Rhoderic.
    irishserb
    Participant

No. My own nature is not to be bold, but to be very calculating.  I tend to think of my troops as being alive, and try to keep them that way.

In gaming, there is often a role playing element, and if a commander or force tended to be more bold, I will  take risks that are more bold, than I might take without the role playing element.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Tabletop miniatures, I tend to be bold on the verge of reckless.
    Ultimately, it’s more interesting if something is happening.

Plus, as I often play with people who aren’t very experienced, I find it makes the game more enjoyable for them.

I’m kind of a bad general, so I don’t think my poor guys make it out alive that often.

For video games, oddly, I tend to be very defensive player in games like Battle Academy or Steel Panthers.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

One of my pals is a bald commander. Does that count?

Shaun Travers
    Participant

I am a bit with Ivan – Impetuous to the point of being reckless.  I also think I would not make a great general as I would undertake too many high risk endeavours, to the detriment of my soldiers.  I do like a game to keep moving.  I win about as much as I lose.  And I have fun all the way regardless!  I did have one friend years ago that was brilliant in defense – I would lose a lot of games against him if I was attacking.  We played a lot of encounter games to make it fair 🙂

MartinR
    Participant

In my experience, most Wargamers are insanely aggressive compared to their real life counterparts (30% chance of success? Let’s go for it!), but I guess they don’t have to write letters home to the grieving relatives.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

grizzlymc
    Participant

Hell, they don’t even need a coach and a squadron f light cavalry to get home. That’s why campaigns are so good.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

In my experience, most Wargamers are insanely aggressive compared to their real life counterparts (30% chance of success? Let’s go for it!), but I guess they don’t have to write letters home to the grieving relatives.

Or be shot for gross incompetence.

Or be shot for gross incompetence.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

donald

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Absolutely true.

Though to be fair, in a lot of wargames, 75+% casualties for the /winning/ side mean we can’t be too concerned with the fate of all the 15mm scale orphans 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Guy Farrish
    Participant

75% casualties for the winning side!

No offence; but what kind of games are you playing?!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

75% casualties for the winning side! No offence; but what kind of games are you playing?!

The kind without morale rules? 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

deephorse
    Participant

First Day of the Somme? Over and over again?

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

75 may have been an exaggeration, but keep track of how many blokes get removed next time you play a game. You might be shocked 🙂

(and sure, I know the old dodge that “when you remove a casualty, he may just have had a sore tummy and is definitely not dead”)

Nordic Weasel Games

Guy Farrish
    Participant

c42% for the 14 British Divisions Deephorse. (there are ‘discussions‘ about how many divisions, what strength they were and what, therefore, the final casualty percentage was, but even if we go for say 50% it is a lot less than Ivan’s Pyrrhic activities).

Ivan, we must play very different types of game – even commanding the losing side (of which I probably have a lot more experience!) I would normally expect to lose considerably fewer than 50% of my troops. Units usually run away or ‘dissolve’ on far fewer than 50% casualties and yes, they may suffer badly in the pursuit phase but that would still leave them , never mind the army as a whole, far higher than 50%. Most of my games count loss of unit combat effectiveness as the thing that makes them ‘break’ and this usually happens well before that level of casualties is suffered.

As for the original question – dunno really. So I suppose that means ‘dithering’. With flurries of ‘rash’ compensation.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Guy Farrish.
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Since I appear to have derailed the thread with a throwaway comment, let me assure all and sundry that I was exaggerating.

You can resume discussing the original question and count yourselves as lucky if you ever face me as an opponent 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Mea culpa etiam

Sorry Ivan!

kyoteblue
    Participant

That escalated…

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Nah, it’s all good 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

Ok.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Thanks Ivan.

Kyote – not escalation – commentary.

The ‘mea culpa’ was for abetting the hijacking – I hope Ivan knew I was simply observing with surprise.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Thanks Ivan.

The ‘mea culpa’ was for abetting the hijacking – I hope Ivan knew I was simply observing with surprise.

Yah, all good, I just didn’t want the topic derailed, just because I’m a dork 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Thanks Ivan.

Yah, all good, I just didn’t want the topic derailed, just because I’m a dork 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

cmnash
    Participant

To return to the OP, I’d have to go with the previous posters who try to roleplay their commanders …

When I took part in the week long Domgaming holiday-wargames, I was well known when playing Soviets for handing back my division at the end of the day saying, “this division is broken, can I have another please?” – I got a ‘no’ far more often than I would have liked … 

So if it’s a Soviet attack, I’ll go all-out with a human wave, but if it were a British attack, I’d try & get a divisional stonk, and then cautiously send in the infantry …

hmmm …. but all that does leave the original question unanswered; at heart, I’m aggressive and probably accept more casualties than I should

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I tend to play campaigns, especially solo, so I try to preserve my forces and play realistically.  That said, I know I also tend to take some risks if I think it will really benefit from the loses that may be incurred.

If I am playing a one off I tend to be much more aggressive, or at least I tend to move to contact then wait until I can smash them with a heavy counterattack or blast through a gap.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.