Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Are you a punk? A Cyberpunk?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Strange that body has made a post about this game, given it’s the most anticipated game of the year and there are lots of sci fi gamers here.

I’ve  “only ” played 7 hours in this game,  this is a game were just playing the main story is 30+ hours but all the other stuff adds at least 100 more hours.

The game is set in a  very typical Cyberpunk world with all the obligatory and cliched things. I’m per ot a huge fan of the Cyberpunk genre. But some love it. You hack, you “jack in” you buy body upgrades.

You’re a gun for hire in Night City, doing various jobs for “fixers” then you get the big one, the one that will set you up for life and you can all guess how that goes.

Besides that you have typical open world stuff. Cops are overburdened so they hire out jobs for anyone with gun.

There are fighting rings,  I’m sure there are races.  Various odd jobs, some bigger side quests. And you shoot people,  sadly the shooting isn’t that fun, it’s typical RPG shooter. That means enemies take a lot of hits, even regular ones. So I do what I always do in these games. Get myself a big ass hand cannon, and snipe at heads. There are various skills and perks that increase the effectiveness of doing exactly that. But even so low level enemies still take 3+ shots to the head.

The game got a lot of flak.

It requires a monster PC to run on high settings. I have 98% of stuff on max and I got 60FPS. But the poor console plebs are suffering, the PS4 and Xbox One were left with the crumbs. The game looks like crap on those machine. And now people are very angry as not a single reviewer got to play it on those gen consoles, only PC. Which should be illegal. As it’s false advertisement. A huge part of the sales of this game comes exactly from PS4/Xbox one owners.

Keymaster

Xbox One here, I will get it at some point, but still in my fantasy feels.

Participant

I have been excited for it for a while. I have no machine that will come close to even opening the game in low settings so I am content to wait. I don’t even feel like watching a Let’s Play because I want to experience it all myself for the first time like I did with Skyrim. It is definitely on my “will play in the future” list.

The controversy over the launch and the bad quality on consoles is unfortunate, and does need to be addressed. But in reality, I will still at some point buy the game. It might end up like Battlefront 2, where it got better and better over time and has apparently ended up as a really successful game, in spite of that disastrous launch.

Participant

Also about 7 hours in, and loving it so far. I don’t have a console and I work on a Mac, but I pay $5 month for Geforce Now, which allows me to play it via low/no latency video stream in 1080p and highest graphical settings. It requires a hefty internet connection, which I’m lucky enough to have access too, but man it’s crazy how well it works!

Richmond, VA. Let's play!

Participant

I had heard GeFOrce now was a good thing for this sort of game, might have to try it.

I’ve been playing the Cyberpunk RPG since the 2013 version (way back in ’86 and JrHigh School!) so have been really anticipating this game.  I might have to wait till they do a bunch of patching.  I’ve tried to avoiding reading anything at all about the game but what has gotten through has not been all of that positive, especially about how the cops work.  I have a newer GTX1660 Super that might do ok, but my processor is like 7 years old…  I”m jonesing pretty hard though, it’s getting tough to not get it even if I have to have it at minimum settings.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

I’ve been running it on a base PS4 and with the 1.04 Hotfix it runs…alright.  Textures take a while to load, it’s still a bit fuzzy when walking around the city, lots of glitches and bugs and cars and NPCs popping in after a few seconds but at least it doesn’t crash every half hour.  Overall though the game itself is pretty good, I’ve found it engaging and it certainly captures the feel of the game for the most part.  The first few story missions are fantastic, exciting, emotional but I can’t discuss them more without spoilers really so suffice to say I’m hooked.

However, it does feel a bit desperate to prove it’s an adult game, lots of nudity for those seeking cheap thrills, swearing (yes including that word) for the sake of it and overall a surprising number of randomly spawning marital aids (less so after the latest fix).  I’d say it falls on the wrong side of the line of good taste in more than a few places as well (sexism, transphobia and racial stereotyping have been heavily criticised).  Of course it’s only my opinion but I’d say a lot of the flak at launch was justified.

I’d give it 6-7 out of 10 just now due to the large number of technical, maybe upgrading to an 8 if they fix the graphics issues.

Death to all fanatics!

Participant

Tbh I’m not that bothered about this one and generally new monster games are riddled with bugs and rarely run well on lower spec platforms as I have found out repeatedly the hard way.

OTOH I just played Mass Effect 2 through again and have fired up Fallout New Vegas (with all the DLC). It is no great surprise that 10 year old games run very well on my Xbox One, and while they may not look super whizzy, the game play is unrivalled. I’m keeping another run through of Knights of the Old Republic as a special treat…

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Tbh I’m not that bothered about this one and generally new monster games are riddled with bugs and rarely run well on lower spec platforms as I have found out repeatedly the hard way. OTOH

And Cyberpunk is no different. Sony have removed it from sale and offered refunds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55359568

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

The problem of being able to issue patches is that people put games out before they are finished.

When I was writing computer games in the 1980s you only got one shot.

Mike

Participant

The problem of being able to issue patches is that people put games out before they are finished. When I was writing computer games in the 1980s you only got one shot.

Those were the days… before you had to buy a game that was unfinished, then pay to get the other half of the game when they were done.  To me, DLC should be thing that add to the flavor of the base game, not things that should have been in the game to begin with.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.