Home Forums General General Army List Query

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

I’m in the initial stages of preparing army lists for my rule set (supergranular rules! ‘cuz you know you need a system that distinguishes between six types of horse barding) and I’m hoping you can point me in the direction of info on the material culture of the Bell Beaker Culture/Copper/Early Bronze Age in Ireland.

Also, if you have a favorite army that you feel has been misrepresented or under served in the past please let me know. Historical range is from the Neolithic through the earlier phases of gunpowder.

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Also, anything on the earlier period of Armenian Cilicia other than the usual run of Crusader documents. Arab sources for them would be especially helpful.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

You could have a look for copies of Emania from the Navan Research Group – mostly Iron Age but there are Irish Bronze age articles in there as well
    http://www.navan-research-group.org/emania.html
    Lots of links to Irish Archaeological sources on the site.

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Thanks, Guy. The earliest periods are nessecarily the most difficult to extrapolate but I’m determined to be as inclusive as (in)humanly possible.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Yes, I can see that!

My wife did quite a lot of work a few years ago writing a comparative analysis of Heroic warfare in the Tain Bo Cuailnge and the Iliad, hence me remembering the Navan Research Group. I’ll try and get her to dig out her research notes. I don’t think there is going to be anything of much use to you for wargaming to be honest (It was more from the literary standpoint – I used to get headaches listening to the similarities between warrior caste mythologies) but you never know. The Tain is clearly Iron Age albeit probably a collection of many period’s myth cycles as opposed to Bronze age but as she seemed to prove to her own satisfaction at least there are distinct overlaps in the written versions of the oral traditions of both periods.

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Thanks again! I’m familiar with the Tain (aside from the Iliad, it makes an interesting comparison to the Gesar of Ling epic and the Book of Dede Korkut) but your link looks like it’ll be worth mining!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.