Home Forums WWII ASL in Miniature- 20mm Guards Counterattack

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Hayes Wauford
    Participant

I recently ran this 20mm game of Advanced Squad Leader for 3 friends who had never played ASL or any historical miniature game. The scenario was based on the classic SL/ASL scenario Guards Counterattack. All 3 players said they enjoyed it and would definitely want to play again.

History, Hexes and Heroes Website with more photos

Mike
    Keymaster

Great first post, that is some properly nice looking stuff you have there!

Ruarigh
    Participant

Lovely terrain there. Are those GHQ Terrainmaker hexes?

I got into hex terrain using the GHQ stuff thinking I would play ASL in 15mm. It never happened. Sigh.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

trenchfoot
    Participant

I absolutely loved SL when I was younger and if I remember correctly either half of board 1 was weighted for a German win (factory half) and a Russian win for The Guards Counter Attack and when combined as a whole scenario it was a good old slogging match. The Factory half would be a very interesting game in miniature, especially with flamethrowers, smoke and demo charges. Out of interest here is an image I found http://depotdelaguerre.com/EN/1000th/1000th.htm . Your board is beautifully done, I would love to play again.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by trenchfoot.
    Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Awesome table, Hayes! I think I see a few Hovels in there, are the other buildings from a seller or scratch made? I am getting back into 20mm WWII and am looking into 20mm buildings. I have my first order in with Hovels, will place another with the US seller of the old Scenic Effects buildings, and haven’t found any others yet.

Norm S
    Participant

Just lovely.

Conflix (ready painted resin) is another useful source for the table.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Fantastic!!!!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Hayes Wauford
    Participant

Awesome table, Hayes! I think I see a few Hovels in there, are the other buildings from a seller or scratch made? I am getting back into 20mm WWII and am looking into 20mm buildings. I have my first order in with Hovels, will place another with the US seller of the old Scenic Effects buildings, and haven’t found any others yet.

Daniel here is a link to some resources I put together.

20mm Building Options

I have scratchbuilt some but all the ones on the table are resin models. Some of the factories are older 15mm JR Miniatures (now Novus). If you see them in person you can tell which ones will work for small 20mm versus big 15mm factories.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your 20mm endeavors it is addictive!

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Awesome! Had totally forgotten about Lancer. Not bad prices on those.

Just Jack
    Participant

That’s a really gorgeous table, quite amazing, and the troops look great, too.

V/R,
    Jack

Etranger
    Participant

Impressive work!

kyoteblue
    Participant

I wish my table looked half that good.

ian pillay
    Participant

Stunning!

Tally-Ho!

Iain Fuller
    Participant
    Steve Burt
    Participant

That first SL scenario is very evenly balanced indeed; it’s been played heaven knows how many times and the wins are about 50/50 (there’s a site recording hundreds scenario plays). I seem to recall scenario 2 is biased toward the Germans a bit (but only about 55/45), and I don’t remember what scenario 3 (which is 1+2) was like for balance. Some of the other scenarios are quite unbalanced (although Hill 621 is another very close one).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.