Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century AWI British Grenadier Caps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    General Slade
    Participant

Can anyone help me with details of British grenadier caps in the American War of Independence?  I am painting some figures and I realised I don’t know what colour to do the cloth patch on the back of the fur cap.  My guess is it is red but does it also incorporate some kind of design, like a regimental badge or number?  Also is the metal plate on the front of the cap always white metal or does it follow the button colour of the regiment?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Well, FWIW

https://www.baccus6mm.com/_paintingguides/AWI_British.pdf

and

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

General Slade
    Participant

Thanks Connard,

That’s a handy guide from Baccus, it would never have occurred to me to look there.  It looks like I was wrong about the metal front plates.  They appear to be blackened metal with the raised areas in white metal. Not sure my painting technique is up to that.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Paint black, drybrush silver. Or do what I do with buttons and lace, use a ultrafine point silver paint pen to pick out some of the detail.

My weapon of choice http://www.artifolk.co.uk/pens/technical-pens/graphic-markers/uni-posca-paint-marker-pen-ultra-fine-(pc1mr)-07mm.htm

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

General Slade
    Participant

Cool.  I’ll give that a go.  I’m painting 15mm figures so I’ll try the dry brush technique first but I’ll have to pick up a couple of those pens for doing buttons.  I didn’t realise they made them as fine as that for metallic colours (I always assumed the gold and silver pigments would clog up the nib).

B6GOBOS
    Participant

Connard, thanks for the reference on the fine point pen and link.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.