Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Azov Musketeer battalion

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

They are in the good kind of uniform, but the boring one of later war.

Participant

They look fantastic!    Very nice job.

I’d hate to have worn white pants to war though, brown pants would have been much better!  

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

They look fantastic! Very nice job. I’d hate to have worn white pants to war though, brown pants would have been much better!

How can you tell the colour of their pants? They’ve got breeches on over them.

🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Very nice, I love the tones, I am guessing you got that with a final VERY thin wash?

Very nice, I love the tones, I am guessing you got that with a final VERY thin wash?

No washes were harmed or used in the painting of these figures.  😉

Participant

I’m guessing many of the pants got browner once the shooting started?

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Very nice job. The figures look terrific. Third battalion of the regiment based on their pompons? Very cool. Terrific use of technique to show artificial shadows. Even the basing – with the standard bearers staggered between the ranks as was customary. One facing color question (not meant as a criticism): source for the shoulder strap color?

Cheers,

The Bandit

Timothy J. Reese digital plates.

http://www.reeseartofwars.com/

His list of sources for the Russians are

Philip Haythornthwaite The Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1): Infantry 1799-1814 (Osprey MAA185), 1987 Philip Haythornthwaite The Russian

Army of the Napoleonic Wars (2): Cavalry 1799-1814(Osprey MAA189), 1987 Terrence Wise Flags of the Napoleonic Wars (2): Colours, Standards and

Guidons of Austria, Britain, Prussia & Russia (Osprey MAA78), 1978 Various uniform plates were consulted from the superlative work of Alexander Viskovatov.

Web Sites: Napoleon, His Army and Enemies: Battles—Tactics—Commanders—Uniforms—Maps

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Russian_army.htm Xenophon Group International, Army of Alexander I [Viskovatov Plates]

http://www.xenophon-mil.org/rusarmy/alex1/alexander%20army.htm

So mainly osprey it seems.

Participant

Thanks, I’d understood Azov to be from the Brest Inspection – thus, straw facings just as you have made sense – but with red as the regimental color for shoulder straps. Jonathan Gingerich notes that on his site translating Viskovatov. This does contradict Xenophon Group International who also cites Viskovatov, as well as Osprey.

Cheers,

The Bandit

I’m not deep enough into it to do a good judgment of who to trust when it comes to sources and translating of sources.

I paid good money to get turquoise soldiers straps so that’s what I have. 

Participant

Fair enough, and like I’d said, it was not a criticism. I think the figures look terrific – and frankly I think the turquoise really pops.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

Agreed, Reese’s plates contain many, many errors.  The best of modern updated/translated scholarship is to be found on Jonathan Gingerich’s site: http://zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html . Flag staff colours, drumstick colours, pompons, sword knots, shoulder straps, etc. for all eras of the Napoleonic period.

Terrific painting!

Bryce Allen

Very good, thanks for posting

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.