Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Bakumatsu skirmish

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Usagitsuki Usagitsuki 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

Some photos from 2 Bakumatsu era (mid 19th-century Japan) games using Test of Honour rules, one with guns, one with swords. The first game, based on the Kinmon Incident, saw Chōshū regulars advancing through Kyōto to be met by an ad-hoc group of Bakufu troops commanded (somewhat implausibly) by Kondo Isami and Yamanami Keisuke of the Shinsengumi.

Test of Honour is a rather ‘cinematic’ game and I think the rules need a bit more modification for fights between mostly rifle-armed troops. It might be better with forces made up of predominantly 3-man groups. I might just end up using a different set of rules though.

The second game saw a group of Shinsengumi watching an inn where suspected anti-Shogunate dissidents from Tosa were meeting. Before the rest of the Shinsengumi arrived to make the arrest, the Tosa samurai are tipped off and attempt to escape. 

This was a much better game, as fights between unarmoured samurai is really what Test of Honour was designed for. I might still tone down the chanbara-style feel a bit for historical scenarios. And there are lots of historical swordfights involving the Shinsengumi…..

Figures mostly by Bac Ninh, with various manufacturers’ samurai in the second game. Buildings either scratch built or heavily modified TT Combat models.

"Gareth Bale is running amok here, he's running an absolute mok." - John Hartson

Harry Faversham
    Harry Faversham
    Participant

That looks superb, you’ve done a great job there matey, it looks like a film set.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I keep looking at this.

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

I’m hoping to get round to doing some of the historical skirmishes involving the Shinsengumi… For example the Aburanokoji Incident:

"Gareth Bale is running amok here, he's running an absolute mok." - John Hartson

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That just looks fantastic!  I would love to read some AARs of these sorts of actions.

How the heck do you discover the info on these incidents?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

It can be quite tricky getting information. There is some material on the Samurai Archives site, Japanese sites often have maps or plans (Google images for the Kanji for the incident), some incidents appear in NHK Taiga dramas or other ‘jidaigeki.’ And I can get some other supplementary information with my rudimentary Japanese.
    The Aburanokoji Incident, for example, is briefly described here https://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Incident_at_Aburano_Koji

Thomaston
    Participant

I was about to say Taiga drama as well but those are usually dramatized but is a good place to start looking for info. Though they are good for character and participants names.

Tired is enough.

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

Yes, Taiga always bring up stuff to go and look up afterwards. Can be interesting how different ones portray the same incident, too.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Watched a couple of samurai movies over the weekend, not making resisting the gaming the period any easier!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

I’ve just started watching the “Shinsengumi!” taiga drama. Bound to lead to buying more figures.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.