Home Forums WWII ‘Band of Brothers’…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

My latest wargaming project is painting up a unit of American Paratroops in 1:48 scale, excellently rendered miniatures that are a joy to paint. As inspiration I’m also watching, again, the HBO ‘Band of Brothers’ mini series. I’d forgotten how good it was. All this has got me well and truly into the deeds of Easy Company in general and Dick Winters in particular. I read Stephen Ambrose’s book some years ago, it’s a tad hazy in my memory these days though!
    So, which of these gives the best insight into Easy Company’s one time CO…

‘Band of Brothers’… Stephen Ambrose

‘Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters’... Larry Alexander

‘Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters’

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Fun sounding project, Harry. Out of curiosity, what make are the figures? I remember years ago North Star carried a 1/48th range. I painted up dozens of those sculpts – while they were a little fiddly to assemble the results were worth it. The larger size really makes them pop. Do share pics when you have them!

Seen the Waffen SS and British Paratroops I’ve already painted and led (disastrously) into action? The figures were indeed sold by North Star, Scarab Miniatures have the molds now, the big chaps kind of grow on you as they get paint slapped on ’em!

https://scarabminiatures.com/product-category/ww-ii-1-48th-scale/

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Ah, I thought you might be using them. Back in the day I’d also painted up dozens of the Projekt X zombie and character figures as well, for more Apocolyptic, Pulpish action. Fantastic little (big!) sculpts. Great fun and good memories!

I’ve been thinking of something along those lines for our big summer wargame. I’ve got a rather large castle which would be perfect for the nazis secret base/laboratory. I’ve got SS Guards and zombie already painted up. Drop in the The Dook and his Paras, add Porta, Tiny and the Old ‘un who swop to help hammer the SS loonies and kill the mutants…

what’s not to like?

“Granddad were you a Hero in the war?”

“No, but I served in a Company of Heroes.”

Dick Winters.

There is also a book about Babe and Garnere.
    And one by Compton, and a 3rd about Malarkey.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.