Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Bases…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Who appreciates someone who makes the bases on the models match the table top?

I just saw some nice bases on YT but they were nothing like the playing surface and the comments were in awe of the bases, which were nice, but they did not fit, at all.

Seems daft to me.
    Your thoughts?

Participant

I never even try I have to admit. I have too many armies and too many different playing surfaces and it would be quixotic.

I am not a fan of bases that inspire awed remarks from onlookers. Bases should be unobtrusive. The recent trend to go seriously to town on them with lil’ tufts and skullz and Coral and stuff causes me nothing but disdain.

I flock my bases and paint the sides green. If I am collecting two armies for the same period so that one can be provided to a potential opponent, I might so far stretch my convictions as to use a slightly different shade of Flock, and even (gasp) paint the sides brown… but that’s as far as I will go.

Participant

“Bases should be unobtrusive.”

This.  They should keep the fig(s) upright and not get in the way of the game (because of their size more than any visual distraction…but that can be annoying as well).

Participant

As I am usually the one providing the terrain and figures the majority of my bases match the mat that’ll be used, mostly because I like that integrative look.  For example, the bases on my Vietnam minis (3mm, 15mm and 20mm) match that specific flocking on the mats most often used and have the occasional grass tuft or clump foliage to match what is used as supplemental decor/specific terrain delineation.  Same goes for my 6mm SF3d/Ma.K figs as all the battles take place on an arid mat as a base.  Some of my 15mm and 6mm scifi are based for a alien planet mat I am working on (it’s purple!  Sooooo purple!)  I generally do not base vehicles, but do sometimes add vertical color stripes or dot patterns to their rears to differentiate units.

Now, I do have a couple of exceptions: some of my scifi is based for neato contrast with the figs.  Some of my 28mm WWW2 (DUST) figures are on thin clear bases so they can be used across multiple mats without looking weird (I’ve played on some friends tables instead of my own) and I just hated how thick their original bases were.  I also have some mechs that have thin clear bases for use in multiple terrains like urban or snow or desert or junk pile, etc.

And finally, I have some Heavy Gear mechs that are based to match the area in which their faction mostly operates, so the northerners have a rocky desert theme and the southerners have grassy/jungle theme.

I understand that people that play at shops or in tournaments often don’t have the luxury of being able to match the table and thus go for the nifty and cool bases, especially with some of their awesome works of art that are their well painted figures, and they really do look rad.  Not my scene so not my method,  but I do see why they like it.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

I haven’t got the energy/time/money to concern myself with that level of detail of matching diorama-like bases to a mat. What if I am hosting a game with a friend bringing his army? Show disdain?  limit myself to just playing with my own?  Fine if you have the time and money but limiting in flexibility for those of us without.  Obsession with matching bases/mats make for great photos but i would say that is another hobby bridge too far for me.

It’s also just time taken away from researching/recreating/painting the color for all the lapel piping and the gaiter buttons on my 6mm and 15mm figs!

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

If you only have one army and one tabletop yes, otherwise…madness.

Or take up naval wargaming 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

I have many armies and two tabletops, both tabletops are a very similar flock.

Easy to match all my bases to them.

What are you going to do when you fight Eylau?

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Keymaster

Me?

Participant

Me?

and what did Eylau do to Mike??

Keymaster

and what did Eylau do to Mike??

Said my bases looked out of place…

Participant

Clear bases could be the way to go. PITA to photograph though.

Exeter, Achilles and Ajax about to make Graf Spee’s day miserable.

River Plate

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Even naval is going to have matching problems…blue water mats when you are fighting in the shallows of Salamis, Hampton Roads or Aboukir Bay?

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

Aboukir Bay looks pretty blue.

Participant

I’m in the “simple bases that match the table camp.” Brown, with green flock.  A few sets of my minis are based with a neutral gray instead, mostly sci fi where urban settings would dominate.

Participant

I do PVA glue, paint sand mix into a gloop.  Paint it on my bases then cover in sand, dust off when dry, varnish dry brush lighter shade.  Then flock, it’s a bit fiddly but I find it worth it.

This is as fiddly a base as I have done. Just got to now find a mat of a matching Tudorian ceramic-tiled hall to play on…

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

I think that if you have multiple tabletops then of course there is a fair to good chance that bases will not match all of them.

In hindsight I should have made it clear that I initially posted this on another site where people almost always use a plain grass playing surface or something with only slight variations.
    I saw bases with snow, sand, lava and one army that appeared to have each model standing on the shore of a very bright blue river.
    They all looked out of place on the generic static/grass mats.

Aboukir Bay looks pretty blue.

some green shallows even in this pic. Let’s just play night actions when everything is black. then my slottabases can stay unpainted!

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

I love detailed bases and appreciate the time some folk spend making them look nice.

Little diorama ‘fillers’ for rank and file games give me a warm feeling and I’ve done a few over the years inc shaven in-fighting and digging their way out of tunnels etc.

Now it’s just a dunk in Geek Gaming basing and scenic cement / varnish – it’s close to the mat I have but looks different in photos!

What does bug me though are the ‘mega-big’ super tall bases GW use for their larger than life hero figures – I can cope with the ‘foot on rock’ but when you have a unit sized figure and 50% is base then it is a no-no from me.

Doesn’t that game use wysiwyg LOS rules too?  If i can hit the oversized helmet crest ornament and flags with a laser pointer despite the out of scale hill crest between…I can hit the hero can’t I?  Seems there might be a game advantage about playing prone Squats on paper thin stand….

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

This is as fiddly a base as I have done. Just got to now find a mat of a matching Tudorian ceramic-tiled hall to play on…

That’s stupendous, until one of decides to take a walk around the Garden 🙂 ‘excuse me sire but you appear to have a couple of feet of tile stuck to your feet’…. GW used to refuse to let us base anything other than Goblin Green and GW Flock. The idea was that you were not meant to notice the bases. And other than me, no one seemed to mind Terminators hacking their way through the corridors of a Space Hulk so based.

Participant

I like thin bases (washer or cardboard) as neutral as possible. For figures intended to fight in temperate climate my bases are roughly covered with green flock and brownish (tea) leaves; for tropical or pirates games they are reddish or sandy brown and/or flocked with sand/cornflour; for Manchuria or Russia they are white and brownish. The gaming terrains are in the same colours with variations.

Then of course when characters are in a building or aboard a ship they look like they forgot to wipe their feet when entering but really I don’t mind.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

cornflour

cornflour? How do you flock with Cornflour?

Participant

cornflour? How do you flock with Cornflour?

As with everything else, with white glue (and sometimes, paint to strengthen it).

It was suggested by a female friend (I was not very familiar with it myself) when we thought that real sand flocking on terrain boards was somewhat messy and also tended to scrape paint from figures.

I’ve also tried bicarbonate (baking soda) for cheap snow flocking but it doesn’t work as well it seems to attract unwanted colours.

I am going to try cornflour, but doesn’t it gelatinize or are you thinking a courser corn meal?  I thought chinchilla dust would work but can’t get it without a special trip and only in overkill quantity.  I thought of using my wife’s bentonite clay too, but it’s damned pricy.

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

I too assume Patrice means what we would call Cornmeal, or Polenta. In the UK Cornflour is.., well, a flour. White, Dusty, sorta Floury. putting that on wood glue you would get something looking prety much like what Americans refer to as ‘Gravy’ and what we would call ‘there’s something terribly wrong with your Cat’

Participant

would get something looking prety much like what Americans refer to as ‘Gravy’ and what we would call ‘there’s something terribly wrong with your Cat’

You almost killed my keyboard with that one! Bwuahahaha!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Grits to that.

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

Tbh, I found that a neutral textured brown base with clumps of static grass goes OK on any sort of base terrain, grass, mountains, Desert, even snow. Most snowy terrain isn’t uniform white, and neither are my snow cloths and boards.

I do paint deserty type troops (Carthaginians, DAK, Turks etc) on more arid bases, but they are still essentially brown with clumps of static grass. Same for muddy troops, mainly WW1 1915 onwards. More brown, less green. But they are all still brown.

I also like nice thick bases so you can actually pick them up, edged in black to frame the figures.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

what we would call Cornmeal, or Polenta

Yes I meant polenta. 🙂

Been trying thinner flour also; anyway it should not be too soaked, just sprinkled.

Cat not involved yet (but experiments are continuing).  😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.