Home Forums WWII Basing Q's for gamers playing WWII 6mm infantry

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    madman
    Participant

I have a couple of questions for those of you who actually game with 6mm, micro armour WWII infantry figures. How many figures do you use on a base and how many troopers do they represent? Also what size base and the material you use?

I am working on playing Conflict of Heroes (Awakening the Bear initially) in micro armour (6mm). My intent was to base the full units as described in the game. For Germans that would be 7 riflemen on one base and a 3 person lmg team on another. For the Soviets it would be all 10 to 12 (sources vary) figures on a single base including the lmg team as part of the base. Specialized weapons teams or weapons crews would be on single bases as well. My base size would be somewhere between 1″ square and 30mm square. I am looking at thin steel so I can keep the units in storage with magnetic bottoms to keep them from ‘crashing’ around. I also need space for unit ID or game information. I would like to put all the info on the game counters on the bases.

In the distant past when last I was gaming I was basing the troops on 1/2″ square plastic bases. Units were based on 3 to 5 man fire teams and the only unit ID was a couple coloured dots on the bases noted on troop control sheets for reference. Of course the game systems were different then and I was more into modern and sci fi. I think I will keep to fire team size bases for post WWII as the weapon effectiveness is greater.

Just looking for ideas, better or not at this time. Thank you.

Stephen

Whirlwind
    Participant

I have based my 6mm troops for WRG 1925-50 rules: groups of 4 on a small base (typically 1″-30mm wide), with all heavy weapons (LMG upwards) on spearate bases.  Seems to work okay, it is reasonably flexible.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Northern Monkey
    Participant

I use 20mmx40mm bases with the troops facing the long edge, and I place 9 infantry on each base(inc an MG figure) or 7 if they are elite infantry, each base represents a platoon

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

madman
    Participant

I have based my 6mm troops for WRG 1925-50 rules: groups of 4 on a small base (typically 1″-30mm wide), with all heavy weapons (LMG upwards) on spearate bases. Seems to work okay, it is reasonably flexible.

What is the unit scale in WRG, squads, fire teams or either? How deep is the base?

Thank you.

madman
    Participant

I use 20mmx40mm bases with the troops facing the long edge, and I place 9 infantry on each base(inc an MG figure) or 7 if they are elite infantry, each base represents a platoon

I have always been a 1 base equals a squad or fire team, 1 tank=1 tank, 1 weapon=1, etc. kind of guy. I like the smaller engagements. What material are you using for your bases? Thank you.

Whirlwind
    Participant

@Stephen,

WRG 1925-1950 is a 1:1 game.  So:

British Rifle Sect: 2 x Rifle bases, 1 x LMG base

British Motor Rifle Sect: 1-2 x Rifle bases, 1 x LMG base

German Grenadier Sect: 2 x Rifle bases, 1 x LMG base

German Panzer Grenadier Sect: 1 x Rifle base, 2 x LMG bases

US Rifle Squad: 3 x Rifle bases; or 2 x Rifle bases, 1-2 x LMG bases (depending upon how you feel about BARs).

And so on. Does that help?

This is the first edition version.  I believe the second version just used a rifle group of whatever strength on one base, plus the heavy weapons?  But there are posters here far more knowledgeable than I about them.

Thuseld
    Participant

I have just started making a 6mm army for WW2. I am looking at using A Sergeant’s War rules. I am experimenting with a 3,2,1 basing system for riflemen, so there are six men, then a separate base for LMG team and a separate squad leader. 3,2,1 means I can always remove a casualty by swapping the bases around.

I also intend to base 3-4 men on a bunch of bases for playing Crossfire.

My bases are 1 and 2p coins.

madman
    Participant

@stephen,

WRG 1925-1950 is a 1:1 game. So:

British Rifle Sect: 2 x Rifle bases, 1 x LMG base

British Motor Rifle Sect: 1-2 x Rifle bases, 1 x LMG base

German Grenadier Sect: 2 x Rifle bases, 1 x LMG base

German Panzer Grenadier Sect: 1 x Rifle base, 2 x LMG bases

US Rifle Squad: 3 x Rifle bases; or 2 x Rifle bases, 1-2 x LMG bases (depending upon how you feel about BARs).

And so on. Does that help?

This is the first edition version. I believe the second version just used a rifle group of whatever strength on one base, plus the heavy weapons? But there are posters here far more knowledgeable than I about them.

So basically what I would call fire teams. What are you using for bases? Thank you.

madman
    Participant

I have just started making a 6mm army for WW2. I am looking at using A Sergeant’s War rules. I am experimenting with a 3,2,1 basing system for riflemen, so there are six men, then a separate base for LMG team and a separate squad leader. 3,2,1 means I can always remove a casualty by swapping the bases around.

I also intend to base 3-4 men on a bunch of bases for playing Crossfire.

My bases are 1 and 2p coins.

Are the coins magnetic? Some of ours are and some not. Thank you.

Northern Monkey
    Participant

I use 20mmx40mm bases with the troops facing the long edge, and I place 9 infantry on each base(inc an MG figure) or 7 if they are elite infantry, each base represents a platoon

I have always been a 1 base equals a squad or fire team, 1 tank=1 tank, 1 weapon=1, etc. kind of guy. I like the smaller engagements. What material are you using for your bases? Thank you.

I use mdf or plastic bases whatever I have in stock, as for unit size if I want to play smaller actions I simply count the base as a section rather than a platoon

hopefully there should be a couple of pics below( not tried direct from my phone before)

Splod
    Participant

I’m in the process of revising my infantry basing also. I have modern Middle East and Sci-Fi in 6mm.

Traditionally, I’ve based 4-6 infantry on a 20mm x 30mm base, with infantry support weapons either on a 20mm or 30mm square base with 2 – 3 infantry. This has been gaming at a 1:1 scale, where each base has represented a Fireteam.

The idea of higher level gaming where 1 base represents anything other than the actual number of troops represented, was anathema to me. But I’ve found that as I age (mature/become more jaded) the idea is becoming more and more enticing, to where I now commonly build projects on the basis of 1 base represents a platoon or even a company.

I’m now basing my infantry platoons as if they were a full strength squad (8 – 12 figures) on the same bases as my MBT, 30mm x 40mm. This means that an Infantry company (3-4 bases) now takes the same table space as an Armoured Squadron (3-4 bases), and allows enough room for scenic items without making the base too crowded.

I use 2mm MDF bases from Sarissa Precision for my 6mm collection, and am in the process of upgrading them to have flexible steel added to allow easy storage/transport on magnetic sheets.

Whirlwind
    Participant

So basically what I would call fire teams. What are you using for bases? Thank you.

25-30mm frontage by 10-20mm depth for the rifle groups / fire teams, 15mm x 15mm or so for the heavy weapons.  The rules don’t specify exact dimensions, just that they should be small.  I used to use 30mm x 30mm for all infantry – the basing for Spearhead – but I found that the bases were a little on the large side for playing 1:1 skirmish games – it was hard to get a platoon to hug a hedgeline and so on.

madman
    Participant

25-30mm frontage by 10-20mm depth for the rifle groups / fire teams, 15mm x 15mm or so for the heavy weapons. The rules don’t specify exact dimensions, just that they should be small. I used to use 30mm x 30mm for all infantry – the basing for Spearhead – but I found that the bases were a little on the large side for playing 1:1 skirmish games – it was hard to get a platoon to hug a hedgeline and so on.

Sorry I meant material.

madman
    Participant

I’m in the process of revising my infantry basing also. I have modern Middle East and Sci-Fi in 6mm.

Traditionally, I’ve based 4-6 infantry on a 20mm x 30mm base, with infantry support weapons either on a 20mm or 30mm square base with 2 – 3 infantry. This has been gaming at a 1:1 scale, where each base has represented a Fireteam.

The idea of higher level gaming where 1 base represents anything other than the actual number of troops represented, was anathema to me. But I’ve found that as I age (mature/become more jaded) the idea is becoming more and more enticing, to where I now commonly build projects on the basis of 1 base represents a platoon or even a company.

I’m now basing my infantry platoons as if they were a full strength squad (8 – 12 figures) on the same bases as my MBT, 30mm x 40mm. This means that an Infantry company (3-4 bases) now takes the same table space as an Armoured Squadron (3-4 bases), and allows enough room for scenic items without making the base too crowded.

I use 2mm MDF bases from Sarissa Precision for my 6mm collection, and am in the process of upgrading them to have flexible steel added to allow easy storage/transport on magnetic sheets.

What rules were you using which supported fire teams in sci fi? Are you adding the steel to the existing bases or re-basing? At this time the rules I like are squad based so plan on sticking to 1:1. Thank you all.

Mike Headden
    Participant

I play WW2 using Blitzkreig Commander 2 (aka BKC2) in 3mm, 6mm and 10mm with a stand of infantry being a platoon. I use 40mm x 20mm bases for all but with more figures for the smaller scales.

Six 10mm scale infantry on a stand, ten to twelve 6mm and up to twenty 3mm ones.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

irishserb
    Participant

I use a homebrew rules system.  Squads, sections, and sometimes fireteams are represented on small plastic bases.  The bases are .04 inch thick Evergreen styrene plastic tile sheet, with the tiles snapped into individual pieces.  I chose plastic after finding that players had damaged my foam terrain with the edges of metal bases many years ago.

Most rifle squads are represented by 1/2 inch square bases with 3-4 figures, some heavy weapons are also on this size base.  3/8 inch square bases are used for most heavy weapons and command elements with 2-3 figs.  Some command and most recce elements use 1/4 inch square bases with 1-2 figures on them.  Typically a base won’t represent more than about 10 men and as few as 1 soldier for the small bases.  I opted for the smallest bases that I could manage to allow the stands to better fit into 6mm terrain.

Typically I use H&R figs, and use poses that most appropriately represent the section.  Between the poses and base size, the type of section is usually obvious, and the surrounding stands usually make it obvious what  level each stand represents without any markings on the upper surface of the base.  The underside of each stand is marked with the section type for those instances when there is doubt.

madman
    Participant

Good point about the steel damaging stuff. I was going to round the edges.

Splod
    Participant

What rules were you using which supported fire teams in sci fi?

My forces were originally built for Dirtside II, where Infantry ‘elements’ are used. An element is generally equal to what is now a fireteam, with most APCs carrying 2 elements.

More recently I’ve been playing Strike Legion, where Infantry squads are built up of ‘teams’, which translate nicely using my fireteam bases. But I’ve also used my Sci-Fi with Future War Commander, Tomorrow’s War, and my own rules; all of which can have infantry represented as fireteams.

Are you adding the steel to the existing bases or re-basing?

Little column A, little column B.

I’m adding the steel sheet to the bottom of my Armour and other vehicles that are already based on the 30mm x 40mm bases. Some of my smaller vehicles such as scouts and APCs are on 20mm x 30mm bases, these will be re-based.

Rather than re-base infantry, I’m starting again. Just putting together an order with H&R now for some of their new infantry. The old infantry stands are being phased into semi-retirement, only surfacing when I really need extra boots.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Splod.
    Whirlwind
    Participant

Sorry I meant material.

No worries. I use vinyl tiles: http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/diy/flooring-and-accessories/vinyl-flooring-and-vinyl-tiles

madman
    Participant

NM

Can you post a larger (and maybe rotated) copy of thise images. Thank you.

Stephen

Don Glewwe
    Participant

…bases are .04 inch thick Evergreen styrene plastic tile sheet, with the tiles snapped into individual pieces. I chose plastic after finding that players had damaged my foam terrain with the edges of metal bases many years ago.

Same here, though I go cheap and use “For Sale” signs found at DIY or hardware stores!

For the magnetized storage, I glue a small neodymium into a hole drilled in the center – storage trays are ferrous shingles.

Oh: Full-squad/team/weapons based for Crossfire (30 x 30mm), with Company-Platoon-Squad lables in rear corner.

-if I figure out how to post a photo…

https://brawlfactory.net/

madman
    Participant

Oh: Full-squad/team/weapons based for Crossfire (30 x 30mm), with Company-Platoon-Squad lables in rear corner.

SO how many figures per squad size stand?

Don Glewwe
    Participant

SO how many figures per squad size stand?

I vary it a bit: 9,8,7 for US, and 7,6,5 for German (yeah, not full squads…misremembered from a different thing  ).

Pic of German and US companies:

https://brawlfactory.net/

Northern Monkey
    Participant

NM Can you post a larger (and maybe rotated) copy of thise images. Thank you. Stephen

Their are load more pictures on my blog here: https://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/bkcii-project-part-1.html

and if more if you look at the other posts on that project

madman
    Participant

NM

The pics you posted here are clear and light, just small (tilted I could work around). Thank you.

Shahbahraz
    Participant

I use varying numbers for BKCII, so here’s an example of a British ‘Platoon’  – sorry it’s a little blurry,  but it was my old camera.

And here’s an example of my older basing with HMG teams separate on 40 x 20mm

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Shahbahraz
    Participant

Oh, and in the past I have used FoW small bases to do vehicles and infantry.  The infantry bases here are viewed ‘end on’ and in use would be long edge to front.

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.