Home Forums Ancients Battle of Pharsalus

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    willb
    Participant

Re-fought the Battle of Pharsalus at Pacificon using Scutarii

http://18clovehamhock.blogspot.com/2016/09/pharsalus-at-pacificon.html

Gaz
    Participant

Looks suitably epic. I wish I had started my ancients in this scale. I am interested to see that you deploy the cohorts in checkerboard formation, as would have happened in the real battle. I have just started reading the Osprey title on Roman battle tactics and I am interested in whether this formation has any benefit┬áin game-play. It seems that these formations were easier to move in a cohesive fashion compared to a solid line. There is also evidence that the intervals may have been used to shield light infantry or to allow cavalry charges from the rear. There is even evidence of enemy troops charging into the gaps and being enveloped by the cohorts. All of these things could easily be integrated into the game without rule changes. Just wondering if anyone has used this formation in a ‘tactical fashion’ on the table?

willb
    Participant

Thanks for the comments Gary. Scutarii has a section in the rules for Roman trained infantry that covers some of what you mentioned. deploying in multiple lines and in the formation shown allows Roman infantry to relieve units that hae become exhausted with fresh units. There are additional battle accounts on the Blog covering Asculum, Bibracte, and others.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.