Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Battle of Pultusk: A Polemos Ruse de Guerre Refight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see link for a re-fight of the Battle of Pultusk, using Baccus 6mm figures and the Polemos Ruse de Guerre rules.

Participant

Great read as usual!

I’m in the middle of my first game of RdG and struggling with a couple of rules points.

1. In close combat, there is a positive modifier if the attacker starts within 2BW. Who gets this? We can see arguments for both the attacker and defender.

2. If two units make up a force and move together, if they then want to seperate and do different things, does that count as a redeploy move costing 2TP?

As ever, keep up the great work!

Sean

Participant

Thanks Sean, appreciate that!

I will have a go, but to be definitive you would have to tap Glenn up on the Baccus forum. Anyway, here goes:

1. In close combat, there is a positive modifier if the attacker starts within 2BW. Who gets this? We can see arguments for both the attacker and defender.

That is a great question! That way of reading it had never occurred to me…but I am almost 100% certain that Glenn meant this bonus for the attacker.  Firstly, because the modifier in Polemos Marechal d’Empire (the most direct ancestor of these rules) is explicitly for the attacker; and secondly I think its absence is to compensate the defender for not getting a shot in if the tempo works out that the attacker can move from directly outside of musketry range into close combat – if that makes sense?

2. If two units make up a force and move together, if they then want to seperate and do different things, does that count as a redeploy move costing 2TP?

Yes.  p.16, first para, “No base can be separated from a force without redeploying first.  When redeploying no other movement can be made.”  That said, I think that the individual bases can still move as per the redeployment rules within the process of separation as described in that paragraph.  So imagine a two-base force in a line: you could move one of the bases 2BW forward as long as the other remained static as part of the redeployment move.  It could not of course move into close combat as part of that, since that requires a specific order to be used.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.