Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Battle of Quatre Bras – a Polemos Ruse de Guerre Refight

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WhirlwindWhirlwind
    Participant

Please see here for a refight of the Battle of Quatre Bras, using the Polemos Ruse de Guerre rules and Baccus 6mm figures.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Norm SNorm S
    Participant

Thanks very much for doing that big write up. This is one of my favourite battles. Everything was intense and I kept looking at the clock, wondering whether the Anglo-Allied reinforcements (Guards – Cooke’s Division) would arrive in time.

I wonder though, since their arrival was not pivotal (i.e. the high point of the battle came earlier, rather than later) whether the turns of 10 minutes are too short, allowing too much action in the mid game?

Anyway, lovely compact game with a lot of tension.

http://commanders.simdif.com

WhirlwindWhirlwind
    Participant

Thanks Norm, I appreciate it.  It is one of my favourite battles too!  There is a chance I may have another go at it if I can leave the board set up.

You make a very good point about the turn times.  Thinking about it, I can think of three reasons why the game took the time it did:

1 – The turn times.  Starting at 1420, the game lasted for over 20 turns, which is not bad going, so assuming nothing else happened, then the game would have finished at around 2015 I think, which is very close to the historic result.

2 – The force morale rules.  Like Polemos Napoleonics, Ruse de Guerre uses a brigade morale system in which brigades withdraw from the battle after taking a certain amount of punishment.  Typically if two bases of a three-base brigade are broken, the latter will clear off (and if it becomes shaken, in Ruse de Guerre, that becomes a certainty) – although the break point might be one base broken and one shaken, or all three shaken.  I have never really questioned this before but perhaps this isn’t a particularly realistic way of doing this and remaining units need to hang on – that would have meant that more of the French infantry and artillery stuck around for longer and the Allies would have taken longer to push forward their counter-attack.

3 – My tactics.  I think my face-to-face opponents would agree that I am quite an attack-minded commander and I try to force the issue early on, so the scheduled arrival of Cooke’s troops was actually spurring me to try and get a victory before they turned up, since the chances of securing it after they arrive are clearly reduced.  The ruleset (and the Polemos system in general) encourages me in this since the focus of the game is on shock, rather than attrition.

Just Jack
    Participant

John,

Wow, what a fight, very intense, I had no idea how that was going to turn out!  For what it’s worth, I thought the table looked fine, and did what you needed it to do.  Also, I guess you do some much French vs Austrian that I’d forgotten you have British and Allies 😉  And I love those wheat fields, very nifty!

The Netherlands artillery was quite effective early on, and Picton’s men were racking up the French just after.  I knew things were not going great for the French, but when half their troops took to the hills I thought it was over, only to be pleasantly surprised when French reinforcements showed up, then managed to send the Brunswickers back across the river!

Quite a game, very enjoyable!

V/R,
    Jack

WhirlwindWhirlwind
    Participant

Thanks very much Jack.  The table itself was okay, and I was quite pleased that IMHO I managed to reduce the battlefield a lot but not lose too much of the flavour of Quatre Bras.  It is the photos themselves which disappoint, since I am playing in a garage with very limited natural light and not particularly powerful or friendly artificial light.  Since it looks like I am stuck there for games with take more than a couple of hours (including setting up), I probably need to invest in something to help the photography.

Now you mention it, it has been a while since I did a British & Allies vs. French match-up.  And it has been even longer since the Spanish, Russian and Prussian toy soldiers got a slot at the table!  So little time…

It was a very enjoyable game but I notice that the French are always going to have a hard time winning this one with the Polemos rules.  In the Quatre Bras scenario, the great French advantage is in cavalry but I think that the Polemos rules are quite infantry friendly: if one of the assumptions of the rules is that generally speaking unit commanders will get their troops into the right formation, that is a much bigger bonus for the infantry than the cavalry.  The games of my youth (Newbury, Bruce Quarrie, WRG 1685-1845) quite often revolved around trying to catch infantry in the wrong formation with cavalry, and frontal charges seemed a lot more likely to succeed!  How fashions change…

Just Jack
    Participant

John,

Don’t sweat it man, it looked great.  And yes, as I mentioned, you’ve certainly been focused on Austrians for awhile now 😉

I understand the attractiveness of those rules; I need to take another look, see if I can figure out how you’re doing the solo bidding for initiative.  Having said that, I just traded for some painted/based 15mm Naps, so I don’t know if that would work anyway.  At such a big scale, probably will feel like I need to have battalion formations.  Here’s to hoping they come through the mail okay…

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.