Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Battle of Raab 1809, played at Histioricon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter Anderson
    Participant

Using Field of Battle (2nd ed) rules by Brent Oman,  25/28 mm figures. 8 players, 4 hours, and a lot of fun!

Many pictures and write up on my blog.

Peter

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Nice one!  I’ve been painting Insurrection Hussars like a man possessed just lately, so will be playing Raab myself in a few weeks. 🙂

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Peter Anderson
    Participant

The Insurrectio Hussars!  That takes real dedication to paint them, as this is pretty much their only battle. I thought I was being bold by painting up some old surplus Minifigs German infantry in the striking blue insurrectio uniform. That was a year ornso before the Perrys came out with dedicated figures for the Insurrectio infantry.

Have fun with your game!

Peter

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Ah, well there is method in my madness… Two Insurrection Hussar regiments (Neutra and Primatial) were present at Aspern-Essling and Wagram, so I wanted them for those battles in any case.  I must admit however, that the parts of other Insurrection Hussar regiments will be played by regular Austrian hussar regiments in this feature… 😉

I play in 15mm and used to work on the AB Figures’ tradestand at shows, so acquired some AB Figures Insurrection infantry MANY years ago, simply because I liked the models and the striking uniforms.  I finally painted them up last year – they’re pictured here on the forum somewhere.  My insurrection hussars are on the recent ‘Some Newly-Painted Wellingtonics’ thread. 🙂

Raab has been on my ‘to do’ list for a very long time, but I’ve held off until now due to a lack of Austrian/Insurrection hussars in my collection.  It looks like a very interesting battle – the French certainly have the numbers and the qualitative edge, but the Austrian position could be a tough nut to crack.  I’m looking forward to it.

Peter Anderson
    Participant

Excellent; two uses for them, then. I used regular Austrian Hussars to fill in for the Insurectio as well, but still didn’t have quite enough!

Raab usually makes a good game with almost any rules set. What rules will you be using?

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Napoleon’s Battles for me, so roughly 1:100 ratio and one unit per brigade or large regiment.  I don’t therefore need quite as many troops as most people, but that’s still six units of hussars.  I only had two hussar regiments painted, so have recently painted another four (including the two Insurrection regiments), plus the French 5th Hussars.  I don’t want to see any more hussar braid for a while… 🙁

Peter Anderson
    Participant

“I don’t want to see any more Hussar Braid for a while”

LOL, been there, done that, felt the same way!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.