Home Forums Modern Battlespace -Ultra Modern Solo Skirmish Game

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I stumbled on this game last week thanks to a link posted on TWW and watching the play thru” videos on YouTube….

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/314447/BATTLESPACE-ULTRA-MODERN-SOLO-SKIRMISH-GAME

And have just emerged from the gaming room…….I have found these to be immersive and colour myself suitably impressed! Well worth checking them out, highly recommended.

Playing co-operatively rather than solo, just a handful of figures on a small table top, some games have been quick and victorious other missions have degenerated into a slugfest just to extract the team of troops back off the table!

The system has an ‘AI’ system for enemy reaction and involvement that really recreates the fog of war and the spanner in the gears forcing you to  re-jig your plan  on the fly……

We have played in an African setting, pitting Western troops against militia with AK’s; technicals; rpg’s and fearsome reputations!

The system will easily allow expansion to other theatres of war ( being MENA -centric as written ), even jumping back to past conflicts of skipping into the future.

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Participant

I agree, it is a great little game.  Played on a 2’x2′ or 3’x3′ mat, gets you straight into the action.  I’ve played solo and co-op both good fun.  Our games were set in our afro/middle east imagi-nation, Mowabe.  The author has put a few play throughs on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad78G852f3o

Participant

Just picked it up on Wargame Vault. Looks interesting. I’ll give it a try with sci-fi miniatures (don’t have any ultra moderns).

Participant

Just like I said in the other thread this game can be used in so many ways. Seeing Nathaniel’s post the first thing I thought was aliens vs colonial marines. Hand to hand only for the aliens, maybe faster speeds for face huggers or chest bursters. Colonial marines don’t seem near as omnipotent so maybe only two wounds to kill. Change the sitrep cards around to match your ideas. Either the aliens from the Alien(s) movies, see above, or bugs from Starship Troopers, in which case they may have ranged weapons. Of course you could play it “straight” and just have a unit of troopers against a band of local upstarts, swap things around and make the player’s team any number of military or quasi-military forces beset by irate locals or irate local fauna. For the former, remember in Traveller the idea(s) of military mercenary units (expanded in Striker) or just some scout team which causes the swarm of bugs to pour out while just checking out the newly discovered planet.

Now that I think of it this game may be the way in for an idea I have had for a while now but can’t figure out how to start… Tremors. The problem with treating it too close to the source material is we already know how to defeat the graboids and their kin. How to infuse some randomness or unpredictability. I think a variation on these rules may be the answer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.