Home Forums WWII Battlegroup Overlord in 6mm Game 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

Here is the second battle. Well it is turning into a sort-of campaign while I play around with the rules. Aside from a 20 minutes stop trying to figure out how to get my mortar to fire, this game was really fun. A low unit count for the first few rounds was scary but was cool in the end.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Good fight, and lucky mortar deviation!

It’s up to you if you think you need more cover on the table.  I would think that the defenders would pick ground that more suited them, so there being open ground in front of the defense line makes sense to me.  Gotta have those fields of fire.  The dice just weren’t in the German favor.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Just Jack
    Participant

Another great fight, buddy!  I agree with Darby, that mortar missing the target and hitting the grenadier squad is pretty damn lucky, but how ’bout that crafty Sherman crew zapping two Stugs with two shots!  Pretty fancy shooting there, so they should get some sort of ‘crack shot’ trait, +1 to all shooting, or something like that, in the future, they certainly deserve it!

I think the table looks great and is very effective; my personal opinion is that I don’t like to get too much on the table using 6mm troops as I end up losing them, they really become camouflage!  I’m really looking forward to the German local counterattack.

As you keep going, I’ll see if I can, too.  The boys had a good time last weekend, and now that you’ve shown us the path forward, I’d like to see if we can follow.  My only concern is the rules; I’ll take your comments a step further: the combat mechanisms are pretty… in depth, and are proving a bit too strenuous for my pea brain, particularly as I’m trying to work a 10-year old and a 5-year old through the tactical concepts.  I really like the activation and morale systems, so we’ll see, maybe I’ll just simplify the firing mechanisms.  I’m scared to even try indirect fire…

V/R,
    Jack

Thuseld
    Participant

Regarding the mortar deviation I was about to just fudge the numbers to see what a hit looked like, but then decided to stay honest and look what happened. Does that make a mockery of the deep philosophical concept of karma? Indirect fire is definitely something I will be trying carefully again.

Jack, you seem quite adept at taking a set of rules and doing what you want to them,  so I have little doubt any changes you make would be fine. At age 10 I was trying to use the Airfix guide rules which were dreadful. Rolling to see for hits. Then slightly wounded,  heavily wounded. Keeping track of how many turns a figure was wounded for…trauma flashbacks.

I will have a think about that Sherman for the next game. I am glad you are enjoying a break from your regular wargaming with…different wagames.

Just Jack
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry too much about wargaming karma, especially playing solo 😉

“At age 10 I was trying to use the Airfix guide rules which were dreadful.”
    Cool; I didn’t come to the hobby until about ten years ago (I played with toy soldiers as a kid, but no rules, nothing I would call a ‘wargame’), but I’m so happy the boys are playing with me now 😉  I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get another game of Battlegroup in this weekend; I finished up a bunch of troops for Osprey’s “Black Ops” and the boys (and I) really want to get to that.  We’ll see…

And you gotta give that tank crew some recognition and better odds of a first shot hit, they’ve already proven themselves!

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.