Home Forums WWII Battlegroup Overlord in 6mm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

My first Battlegroup engagement is up on the blog.

The US are breaking out of the bocage while Germans hastily attempt to meet them to stem the tide. Here we see Americans advancing.

The StuG pinning infantry.

The GIs in the woods are really taking a hammering.

But then so are the Germans,  losing an MG34 team and another squad getting pinned in the open.

It ended up a US victory but the Germans got away with enough to fight another day

Whirlwind
    Participant

Interesting, many thanks. So is the central mechanic that bad stuff happens, which randomly (through being forced to take additional battle tokens) increases the pressure on a given force to break point?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Thuseld
    Participant

Interesting, many thanks. So is the central mechanic that bad stuff happens, which randomly (through being forced to take additional battle tokens) increases the pressure on a given force to break point?

Yes that is correct. It is designed to be as historically accurate as possible. Hence the Germans having a similar array of infantry and support, but being easier to break at this point in the war. The tokens give a good random element to the game which abstractly represents any number of things, like a heroic commander or a couple of squads really holding things together.

I wasn’t actually convinced I would like it but the books are so pretty I don’t mind having them on my shelf. I thought they would play out too long and I would rarely be able to finish a game. Oh no my table it too small so I can’t play. Well I stopped the excuses and am glad I tried. Another game tonight to test out mortars and artillery.

Just Jack
    Participant

That was a great fight, thanks for posting!  I’m so glad you found the rules and finally gave them a go; only six years, eh? 😉

I really enjoyed how the fight developed, and I thought the look of the table and troops was very nice and effective, particularly that “destroyed tank” marker.  And I’ve seen those little explosions somewhere before 😉

I really wasn’t sure what to expect with two identical forces facing off, but with both sides starting off table and rolling for activation, it turned out really well.  I’m most taken with the of how the morale chit pulling mechanism worked.  I’m always a fan of games where morale breaks for a force before they’ve lost 75% of their troops!

There was one thing that seemed odd, though: two times (one German, one US) in the game a side was forced to draw a morale chit because bad stuff was happening to them, but then it turned good for them.  The Americans were forced to draw and it ended up with the Stug hitting a mine (very lucky for the Germans it didn’t get tracked!), and the Germans were forced to draw and it turned into air support.  I don’t know how that felt for you, but it felt to me like bad stuff should have happened to the side being forced to pull, so the US draw should have seen the Sherman strike a mine and the German pull should have drawn a flight of P-47s down on their heads!  But that’s just my sadistic streak, kicking a force while it’s down 😉

Again, thank you for that, it was very enjoyable and I’m looking forward to more.  I also need to look into those rules, I think.

V/R,

Jack

Thuseld
    Participant

There was one thing that seemed odd, though: two times (one German, one US) in the game a side was forced to draw a morale chit because bad stuff was happening to them, but then it turned good for them. The Americans were forced to draw and it ended up with the Stug hitting a mine (very lucky for the Germans it didn’t get tracked!), and the Germans were forced to draw and it turned into air support. I don’t know how that felt for you, but it felt to me like bad stuff should have happened to the side being forced to pull, so the US draw should have seen the Sherman strike a mine and the German pull should have drawn a flight of P-47s down on their heads! But that’s just my sadistic streak, kicking a force while it’s down 😉 Again, thank you for that, it was very enjoyable and I’m looking forward to more. I also need to look into those rules, I think. V/R, Jack

It is funny you mention that. When I pulled the mine strike my first thought was “goodbye Sherman”. I was surprised when it was against the enemy. I  total there were 96 tokens to pull from, 15 of which have a special event.  A couple of mine strikes, 4 air strikes,  a vehicle breaks down or runs out of ammo. But they all look like he negative ones are played on an enemy and the positive ones are played on yourself. I guess it helps represent the randomness of battle. Sometimes you are lucky.

With the mechanic of pulling a number of chits at the end of your turn which allows a number of D6 rolls to attempt to unpin units, it is possible to win a game without inflicting a single casualty, you just overwhelm the opponent with weight of fire and you can tell the narrative of the commander realising they have no chance to making a retreat before things get bloody. I like that it had a narrative feeling as opposed to a game. Narrative in my wargames is the most important to me as I a trying to recreate the feeling I get watching war films or reading a good novel. I mean I have no interest in running Napoleonics but if I did I would want it to feel like a Sharpe novel for example.

TerrainShed
    Participant

Not that familiar with Battlegroup although I have the rules and I understand it’s a pretty thorough treatment of WW2 combat.

Regarding the chit pull anomaly, I use wildcards in my rules whereby whenever a ‘critical hit’ or ‘fumble’ is rolled (for wont of a better term), aside from the direct effects, the good or bad wildcards drawn are applied depending on whether the card is beneficial or not and whether the drawing was triggered by good or bad rolls.

If I may quote from my rules:

“Units having rolled a ‘critical hit’ use positive wildcards (or the nearest suitable friendly unit) but negative ones are applied to the nearest suitable enemy;
    likewise, units drawing wildcards due to rolling a ‘fumble’ use negative outcomes and apply positive ones to nearest suitable enemy combat units”.

Enjoy your gardening

Les & Alison

Just Jack
    Participant

That sounds cool, Les.

I agree completely with you about the narrative, Thuseld.  I looked around and discovered I actually have the rules and, inspired by your game, my boys and I played the same exact fight this afternoon.  I didn’t have the chits printed out, so I just drew up a table and used a D100 roll.  It was funny, land mines came up three times! And each time we applied them to the side pulling the chits, only seemed fair! 😉

I’ll post as soon as I can.

V/R,

Jack

Thuseld
    Participant

Jack, that is really interesting. Also I dream of the day when I can go check my collection and there is a rule set that I forgot I had.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great game!  One of the things i like about Battelgroup is that it is usually a low bodycount game and more realistic, as opposed to other WW2 games where the enemy has to be annihilated in order to win.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Just Jack
    Participant

Thuseld,

First, yes, I have a lot of wargaming paraphernalia, but being disorganized is nothing to aspire to! 😉
    I have the core rules, but I don’t have any of the theater-specific supplements, which honestly is pretty aggravating to me and has kept me off the rules (the idea that I have to invest more money every time I want to play a different theater/time period).  After seeing your game I went and purchased the PDF for Battlegroup Torch, though I haven’t received it yet, so that was partly why I chose to replicate your fight, and I just used an 18-point Battle Rating for both sides.

The game was a lot of fun; I should say it ended up being a lot of fun, it started pretty slow.  I believe I was messing things up with the firing mechanisms and so combat was incredibly ineffective initially, where a team would fire, score a hit or two, but the hits would be saved, so nothing at all happening.  About halfway through I ‘loosened’ it up a bit, so we were finally getting some pins that the boys were able to take advantage of by close assaulting the enemy to finish them off.   I’ll see if I can get it written up and posted this week.

V/R,
    Jack

Thuseld
    Participant

I played my second game last night and again, was surprised? about how quickly a force can approach its breaking point with relatively few casualties. Seven rounds of having to unpin units takes its toll. And those units cannot be used at all while pinned. I think there is more to these rules than I initially gave credit for.

I agree that having to buy additional supplements is annoying, for years I regretted not getting Fall of the Reich, but I couldn’t justify the cost as I wasn’t using the rules. I do, however, like the limitations put onto army building. For example building a Battlegroup from the German Infantry Division list stops me from using a platoon of Panzer IVs, unless I buy them as individual tanks, but then I don’t get an officer. It is a shame the H&R shop is closed otherwise I would be buying up a whole bunch of Soviet stuff for both Barbarossa and the inexorable, unstoppable post 1943 juggernaut as it storms its way towards Berlin.

Thuseld
    Participant

Great game! One of the things i like about Battelgroup is that it is usually a low bodycount game and more realistic, as opposed to other WW2 games where the enemy has to be annihilated in order to win.

The idea of unit suppression being more common than killing figures, any yet being a viable way to win battles is a mechanic that I have become really fond of. It is similar in A Sergeant’s War, and is something I will look towards for future rule sets. I haven’t picked up any of my Sci Fi rules in a while, apart from Starport Scum, because they revolve around hit points of units, as opposed to suppression or anything.

Newbie to the forum here (but not to forums!). Thanks for posting a great looking game, Thuseld. I’m a big fan of Battlegroup but play in 15mm. Seeing your 6mm is really inspiring! I have 6mm ACW and have often thought of 6mm WWII but get easily corrupted by friends…

On the need for supplements, I wouldn’t let that put one off. There are such disparities between different periods and theatres that it would be very difficult to contain in a single set. Some, like Blitzkrieg Commander have gone about this through different army lists for each period/theatre. In essence, this is what BG does, but has a lot more detail for each unit due to the level of the game. For me, I have armies suitable for the 43-45 period in Western Europe (incl. Italy). Buying a supplement for an earlier theatre/period would be a luxury rather than a necessity as playing it would involve whole new armies.

I’ve played the Overlord lists and Fall of the Reich, using Western allies vs Germans. I also own the Torch lists, and the Bulge and Market Garden supplements. The difference in feel between each theatre is palpable, with the chits also different for Fall of the Reich.

Thuseld
    Participant

Newbie to the forum here (but not to forums!). Thanks for posting a great looking game, Thuseld. I’m a big fan of Battlegroup but play in 15mm. Seeing your 6mm is really inspiring! I have 6mm ACW and have often thought of 6mm WWII but get easily corrupted by friends… On the need for supplements, I wouldn’t let that put one off. There are such disparities between different periods and theatres that it would be very difficult to contain in a single set. Some, like Blitzkrieg Commander have gone about this through different army lists for each period/theatre. In essence, this is what BG does, but has a lot more detail for each unit due to the level of the game. For me, I have armies suitable for the 43-45 period in Western Europe (incl. Italy). Buying a supplement for an earlier theatre/period would be a luxury rather than a necessity as playing it would involve whole new armies. I’ve played the Overlord lists and Fall of the Reich, using Western allies vs Germans. I also own the Torch lists, and the Bulge and Market Garden supplements. The difference in feel between each theatre is palpable, with the chits also different for Fall of the Reich.

Thanks for the kind words. Going 6mm was more out of spacial necessity than anything. My hobbying stalled for a while and then I discovered 6mm Sci Fi skirmishing games where I could make terrain from junk and could fit it all in a shoebox under the bed and play on a small dining room table. Then I thought I would get some WW2 stuff to see if it is any good and fell in love. I will get my 20mm stuff going again one day, but not for a while. 15mm tempts me also, but I own literally nothing in that scale.

As for supplements, I own Overlord and Barbarossa as I was painting up Russians and early Germans at the time. I then picked up Wacht am Rein, Kursk and FotR in the recent reprints. I want Blitzkrieg and could die happy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.