Home Forums WWII Battlegroup Skirmish 28mm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    War Panda
    Participant

Battlegroup is usually my rules of choice for larger Company/Battalion level games but recently I’ve been more interested in a skirmish/squad gaming… for some reason I never really considered the rules for this size of game…until now

So when I had a four non war-gamer pals over the other night I decided to give it a try.

I was very pleased I did. Probably the best, most enjoyable game I’ve taken part in in a long time. Anyway I took some photos of the game.

2 players per side who were allocated units. I umpired so first moves were made with neither side knowing the strength or positions of each other (unless spotted or LoS) Due to these limitations lots of these photos were taken after the event (recreated the recreation)

The empty battle field (and the clever “area fire” rules meant that the players actually shot at buildings without definite knowledge of an enemy presence, which I thought was brilliant 🙂

The rules went down a treat with two of the guys wanting to immediately start into the hobby, poor blighters 😉

Anyway terrifically enjoyable game and I’m pretty sure I’ll be using this system for my future skirmish battles from now on…

picture

1st Squad of a US platoon scouting an occupied Normandy town.

picture

2nd squad moves towards the Hotel

picture

Engineers will need to clear the entrance to the town.

picture
    picture
    picture
    picture

2nd squad move to the west of town

picture
    picture
    picture

Waiting in town a Fallschirmjaeger platoon are holding up in the neighbouring buildings

picture
    picture

Engineers move up to the anti-tank obstacles

picture
    picture

1st squad move into the Hotel

picture
    picture
    picture

2nd squad line up behind a hedgerow west of the town centre

picture

Germans move into dug-in positions at the centre of town

picture
    picture
    picture

German halftrack deploys 3rd squad

picture

US 1st MG 1917 fire on the dug-in Germans below. The first shots of what turns out to be a long firefight at the town centre

picture
    picture

2nd squad also fires towards the dug-in germans

picture

Blasting the area below the Germans find themselves pinned down in a US crossfire

picture

US Engineers blast the buildings with suppressive fire

picture

This was a situation where the US didn’t actually know there were any enemy located there but opened up with area fire anyway (was actually successful in pinning a rifle team down
    (in the window above the tricolor)

picture

Bazooka team move up along the Hotel wall (again they don’t know what they’re up against)

picture
    picture

Shooting continues on the streets with both sides exchanging fire. The US need to keep the German heads down if the engineers stand a chance of clearing the blockade

picture
    picture
    picture

Meanwhile German 3rd squad move behind some terrace houses to get in sight of the engineers

picture
    picture

German halftrack moves down the street into contact with the engineer MG

picture
    picture

Bakooka team move out to knock out the halftrack…a dangerous move..

picture
    picture

The halftrack’s in view

picture
    picture

Bazooka shoots

picture

A hit!!!

picture
    picture
    picture

The team are now in a very vulnerable and exposed position

picture

The deadly noise of a MG42 rings out in the square

picture

picture
    picture

The bazooka team are riddled with bullets

picture

Heroic perhaps but it is their final action of the war

picture

The destruction of the halftrack has given the Engineers the opportunity to move into contact with the tank Barricade. They’ll need a full turn to lay the demolition charges.

picture

A hidden german Sniper on overwatch fires at the engineers

picture
    picture
    picture

but luckily for them they have a narrow escape

Second Part to follow….

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

kyoteblue
    Participant

Great looking table as always !!!!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Cracking photos and a superb table and miniatures

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Brilliant looking game, I’m glad everyone had a fun time

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

Mike
    Keymaster

Crumbs.
    I will need top come back and study this in detail, looks amazing.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

War Panda:

Great looking game and superb photos, even if some of them are ersatz “Flag on Mt. Suribachi at Iwo Jima” snaps done after the fact. Lovely terrain and models. You’ve done a bang-up job. So since you seem to be back to gaming, any progress on that grudge match between Ivan “Fritz” Sorenson and “Death from Above” Just Jack?

Cheers and Good Gaming.

Rod Robertson.

War Panda
    Participant

Don’t mention the war Rod 🙂

I came back from a weekend conference to rather sheepish looks from my kids; I knew immediately something was terribly wrong! I was told the horrifying news: Gabriel Thomas Francis “Godzilla” Dillon (my 2 1/2 year old) had negotiated my defences and compromised my security and had “finished the game” all by himself….now I have enough photos if the boys want it restaged but I’m not sure if there was enough interest….

Once I get back I’d love to play with a group with each commanding a separate unit…

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.