Home Forums General General Before you apply the paint

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

This may not apply to historical figures, or it may if you are not familiar with them, or something, anyway…

I was chatting to someone the other day about a fantasy creature we both own and had painted.
    I had painted teeth on mine and the other person had not, they hadn’t noticed them IIRC.

I generally will study a model to work out what bits are what and then to decide how to go about painting, from colour schemes to which bits to start with and which bits to do last.

Do you study first, just get on with it, or something else?

McKinstry
    Participant

Yes. I look over the figure/ship/tank and generally plan out the process. Since I’m mostly a small scale guy, I may even give a very light black wash even before priming to make sure I understand/see all the detail needing painting.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Northern MonkeyNorthern Monkey
    Participant

I find it easier to lightly undercoat first otherwise I often struggle to see what’s what, once undercoated I can then give some thought to colours etc

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr. Average
    Participant

I usually at least think about what I’m doing first – or do a few color tests to see what works.  I’m finding myself doing a lot more planning with the Historical/Fantasy ones I’m doing at the moment.

Thomaston
    Participant

I usually have an idea of what colors I’d like to put on the minis but I don’t really study them. I’m going to start doing that from now on.

Radar
    Participant

I have sometimes missed details on a figure (15mm ECW and Napoleonic), partly because of eyesight. So can fully empathise with the “didn’t notice them” sentiment.

Currently I am pretty much just painting Peter Pig figures so often refer to the pictures on their website, seeing the figure you are painting larger than real life can help.

I have also noticed that seeing your own figures on a screen larger than life can really help improve painting techniques. (This is a side effect of seeing my own figures on my blog.)

MartinRMartinR
    Participant

Even for historical figures I scrutinise them beforehand to work out which bits of equipment the sculptor has (or hasn’t) put on the figure. For things like old Airfix figures these are often just unidentifiable blobs of course:)

My biggest debate is whether I can be bothered to pick out the tools on vehicles. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. It rarely makes any difference to the finished article.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

KrieghundKrieghund
    Participant

After the black gesso undercoat, i do a white drybrush. I find this really helps to pick out the details.

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

They get a close inspection when I’m cleaning them up. After that deflashing (made up word) I give them a wash in warm water with a drop of washing up liquid in it to remove any greasy sweaty transfer then rinse with cold water. When they’ve dried they’re lightly glued to individual bases for priming and painting. 6mm figures get black primer, larger ones white. The white brings out details that might have been missed earlier.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.