Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Beginning of a Kzinti Fleet For My Star Trek Campaign

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    Participant

I posted a few pix on my blog of the core of a Kzinti fleet for use in a Star Fleet Battles campaign that a friend and I will be starting soon.  Located at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2017/07/star-fleet-battles-fleets-kzintis.html

Additionally, I’ve set up a page with a list of links to blog posts associated with the campaign.  Right now it is all prep, and painting starships, but in time it will include either AARs or updates about battles and progress of the war.  Located at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/p/star-fleet-battles-general-war.html

Thanks for looking,

irishserb

kyoteblue
    Participant

Great looking ships !!! Love the Kzinti !!!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Nice ships!  The Kzinti are an underrated power in the SFB universe.  Everyone wants to be the Federation or the Klingons, but the Kzinti can hold their own and then some.

By the way, have you thought about a little edging on those models?  Just running a brush along the angles with a little highlight color would really bring out the shapes something wonderful!  Your fleet, of course – just a thought.

irishserb
    Participant

Yeah, I really should have done some high-lighting, give a little texture/contrast tot he hulls.  I considered it after seeing the way the first two ships came out a year or so ago, but was intimidated by my time constraints, as I needed to have everything serviceable next weekend.  I ended up with more time to paint, than I expected, and it just went faster than I expected as well.  I will probably go back and give them a little facelift at some point, maybe try it with the Lyrans that I am painting this week, particularly as it is fewer ships and no fighters.

McKinstry
    Participant

I’m really looking forward to your campaign AAR’s. I love the Trek fluff.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Noel
    Participant

Kzinti were one of my favorite races back when I played SFB.  All those drones were so much fun.

William Minsinger
    Participant

Good looking force.  The GZG fighters you choose mix in very well.  Definitely interested in seeing your campaign rules.

-Will

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Not really up on my SFB races.  So, Dumb Question:

Kzinti, as in the semi-felanoid race from the Ringworld/ Man-Kzin Wars books?  Or are they something completely different and only similar names?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

irishserb
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Yes, the Kzinti  are an evolution of the Kzin from the Man-Kzin War.  I believe that Niven introduced them into Star Trek in the animated episodes based on TOS, but I might not have the Niven connection completely right.  In the Star Fleet Universe from the game, they are more conventional and more cat-like as I understand it.  They are larger than humans, sort of like the Gorn from TOS.   Their arch-enemy in the game system is the Lyran empire, which is a race of similar, but smaller, more human sized as I remember it, cat-like aliens.

My understanding is that the Kzinti were going to be introduced into the series,  Enterprise, but that the series was cancelled before production of the episode(s) took place.

William Minsinger
    Participant

Yep that’s basically correct, Larry Niven was invited to submit a couple of scripts to the Star Trek Animated Series and one of them, which used the Kzin and a couple of other elements from the Man-Kzin Wars/Known Space setting, was produced as the episode ‘The Slaver Weapon’.  When The Steves were working on SFB they wanted to introduce some additional races for extra variety so the ‘Kzinti’ were adopted to provide an additional rival to the Federation and Klingons on that side of the galaxy.  A lot of the racial details were changed (possibly at Niven’s request but I am not as sure about that) to avoid confusing them with the original Kzin from Niven’s books; they don’t have the hairless tails or ‘bat ears’ for example, and their culture is similar but distinct.

Irishserb is also correct that the Kzin were scheduled to appear on Enterprise if the 5th Season hadn’t been canned; the concept art for their ship is around on the internet somewhere and looks remarkably similar to the SFB ships….

Also interesting to note that they actually get a passing mention in the Star Trek Beyond movie as well; they are listed as early enemies of Earth alongside the Romulans in the days before the Federation was formed.

-Will

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nifty, thanks for the responses guys!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

The_Beast
    Participant

Started to wax lyric about ‘Tabbies in space’, but looking at the blog wiped that all away. *sigh*

Is there a spot on your blog where you go into detail of the ‘adjustments’ to F&E, or if easier, what little you borrow from same, for your campaign system? I’m always interested in how people do same.

Love the red and gold ships; I always think of Warcruiser Ajax, but I gather that was much more gold than I remember. I think I’m confused by the red clouds.

Doug

irishserb
    Participant

Hey Doug,

We just finished filling in the odd details for the campaign yesterday.  I’ll probably get it typed up Wednesday.  Send me an e-mail to [email protected], and I’ll send you copy of the Word doc.  Not much left from F&E, other than the map, but a workable base to create battles for SFB, FC, or whatever tactical game system you might want to use.

The_Beast
    Participant

Sorry, irishserb, but my missives keep bouncing back from that address. I’ve a yahoo account, if you’d be willing to send me that.

Mine is dougger beast, but no space, and I don’t have to put .com, I imagine.

Putting the address intact is an invitation to nasty spam bots. ;->=

Doug

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.