Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Best advice for getting converts to gaming

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stephen crawford
    Participant

Hello,
    Since I have no opponents…I have been thinking of dragging my wife and later possibly a husband/wife pair
    Into my gaming world….luckily I have a wife that wants to do things with me, even if nerdy….
    It has been so long since I dealt with non gamers in this situation…any advice would be helpful…
    My first choice is x wing, because it has universal appeal…I happen to have the core plus a few ships…no terrain needed…no painting…it is actually fun…and relatively brief games.
    Next I was thinking of zombiecide or the cmon..dungeon Chiba game…and soon the ffg imperial assault..
    I think if I can get some people playing x wing, then more will follow..
    Any similar experiences? I thought of boardgames also…but x wing has a certain wow factor
    Any thoughts on boardgames for medium to low complexity with2 or more players….I have betrayal at house on the hill
    Thanks
    Steve

kyoteblue
    Participant

My late wife Margaret loved Role Playing Games.  Chill, Call of Cthulhu, Ghost Busters  Twilight 2000 and D&D.

shelldrake
    Participant

Steve, I wife wont play wargames with me… the closest I might get is if I by farm animal and farmer miniatures and create a farming “non-war” game.

But she does enjoy board games and I purchased “Takenoko” for her, and she loves it: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70919/takenoko

If you want to introduce a zombie game, you could start off with a card game called “Zombie Fluxx”, as this could be a ‘gateway’ game for zombicide etc.  http://www.looneylabs.com/games/zombie-fluxx

Kyotoblue – that must have been awesome. I haven’t played Chill or Call of Cthulhu for years.

kyoteblue
    Participant

It was a lot of fun but Margaret was a fun person.

Barks
    Participant

Make sure its something they’re interested in.

Keep it simple- more advanced rules can be added later.

Let them win/ have fun/ don’t smash them.

Boardgames are great gateway games. Checkout boardgamegeek for threads on suggestions for beginners.

Paul
    Participant

Agree about board games being a good “gateway drug”. Managed to corrupt my wife with Zombies!!!! and The Walking Dead, and now she has agreed to play Empire of the Dead as soon as I finish the scenery for it, and WEG Star Wars Miniature Battles in 15mm when I get it together.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.