Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Best colour for my wooded areas?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

So I want to denote wooded areas. Trees are ready. I just want to know which felt base people prefer before I go making more of them. Or should I just use both colours for a bit of variety.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Given the relative sparseness of the trees in your photo, the green looks more natural to me. The brown suggests dead leaves “smothering” the grass that would otherwise grow there, which might look better if the areas were more densely forested than that.

Of course, the colour of the playing surface you’ll be placing the felt pieces on top of could also affect the matter at hand.

deephorse
    Participant

Green.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Thuseld
    Participant

Given the relative sparseness of the trees in your photo, the green looks more natural to me. The brown suggests dead leaves “smothering” the grass that would otherwise grow there, which might look better if the areas were more densely forested than that. Of course, the colour of the playing surface you’ll be placing the felt pieces on top of could also affect the matter at hand.

It is the eternal question isn’t it about trees and wargaming. This seems to be the route I am going down: felt marker to show boundaries with some trees thrown on to denote it as a forest area. I think in terms of storage this is going to be my friend right now. Also in terms of manipulating miniatures inside wooded areas.

Thanks for the feedback.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Green looks like a more verdant area, whereas the brown looks like someplace scrubby.  I think you can use both to show different terrain types.  Maybe the brown is woods in rough or mountainous terrain?  Or maybe the brown is someplace like NW Australia, Sicily, or alpine Italy?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

bobm
    Participant

Trees can often kill the grass and undergrowth around them as they are so thirsty and cut out light reaching the ground.  Therefore the felt should be green but the individual tree bases show the brown.  The more trees you use…the denser the wood and therefore more brown.

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

I go with brown but I use a sponge to dab some green patches on the felt. No reason it has to be one or the other when it can be both. Or, I’ve used a similar colored string just to delineate the border.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

John D Salt
    Participant

Another vote for green.

All the best,

John.

madman
    Participant

I have an old set of rules, Striker, which uses two densities of trees and two of undergrowth. I also looked at possibilities of showing light woods and dense woods. I came up with a few trees glued to tongue depressors for light woods and a solid layer of foamboard (black) topped with lichen and/or foam flocking and mounted on 1″ nails for dense areas. A local guy does similar and I happily stole his idea. I use common nails which have a reasonably large flat head. Glue them head side to the bottom of the foamboard and cover the top as described above. Black works better than white. I have also seen where a guy made up a base to put the dense woods onto which is the size of the foamboard wood shape. The base (his was solid) made out of the felt which can define the density of the undergrowth, use your two colours or in my case I have a green felt with a lot of white specks (sort of flattened tufts) for light undergrowth and a solid darker green for dense.

Cheaper than lots of trees for the dense and looks great. I also play almost all 6mm.

TerrainShed
    Participant

That looks like the brown & light green felt available from Hobbycraft. Their mid green is too much like British racing green for my liking. I supply heathered felt (see ebay) which is kinda mottled for the one piece forests that I sell. Having said that, I don’t actually use felt footprints in games when I have a tree canopy to denote the boundary.

Terrainhed Forests

Enjoy your gardening

Les & Alison

trenchfoot
    Participant

I would try for a slight shade darker than the colour of the mat they are played on. If the felt is one particular colour try attaching some scatter to help the patch blend to the surrounding terrain while standing out enough to denote its purpose on the table.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.