Home Forums General Board Games and Card Games Best Figures Collection in a Boardgame

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Which boardgame do you think also contains the best (quality/quantity) of miniatures also suitable for wargames?

Participant

Are you thinking of board games like Risk which might provide miniatures suitable for historical battles or like Horizon Zero Dawn which might provide miniatures suited more to skirmish games?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Cthulhu: Death May Die.

It’s a bit of a one trick pony though, and expensive.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Are you thinking of board games like Risk which might provide miniatures suitable for historical battles or like Horizon Zero Dawn which might provide miniatures suited more to skirmish games?

I was thinking more of the latter, but the first is also of interest

Cthulhu: Death May Die.

Thanks, will look

Participant

Cthulhu: Death May Die. It’s a bit of a one trick pony though, and expensive.

That’s a fun game – so long as you don’t mind losing.  It could be that my gaming group is just rubbish at it but we never seem to win.  That doesn’t stop us from wanting to play again though.  Plus, as Mr Sage says, the miniatures are nice.

On a similar kind of theme, the Zombicide 2nd edition miniatures are very good – however, as the name of the game suggests, the vast majority are zombies, so may not be of much use to you.  Still, it is a very enjoyable game and if you are buying it to play then you get the added bonus that the hero figures can be used for other games.

https://www.zombicide.com/modern-zombicide-products/

Participant

Cthulhu: Death May Die. It’s a bit of a one trick pony though, and expensive.

That’s a fun game – so long as you don’t mind losing. It could be that my gaming group is just rubbish at it but we never seem to win. That doesn’t stop us from wanting to play again though. Plus, as Mr Sage says, the miniatures are nice.

That’s the thing with Lovecraft’s universe, humans never win. Played the CoC RPG through the 80s – death and destruction, take along pre-rolled characters. Lots of pre-rolled characters.

I own Eldritch Horror. Same, high player bodycount. Good game though.

FFG used to produce figure packs of PCs and NPCs for the game, and also for Arkham Horror. Since Asmodee took over the European distribution they seem to have vanished.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

A few shown here:

Do you also class the D&D figures in this hunt? Lots of detail, aimed specifically at a game but blister packed…

Participant

That’s the thing with Lovecraft’s universe, humans never win.

Cthulhu Wars from Petersen Games gets round this by having the players take the role of competing great old ones and making humans nothing more than pawns.  It’s a great game but you need to take out a mortgage to buy it and then take out another mortgage to buy somewhere to store the box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petersen-Games-Cthulhu-Strategy-Board/dp/B00NT5AI8C

Participant

£170 or so doesn’t seem too bad these days for that sort of game … I’m kind of horrifying myself typing that.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

£170 or so doesn’t seem too bad these days for that sort of game … I’m kind of horrifying myself typing that.

Using this historical price calculator buying a GW board game in 1980 at £20 equates to £120.60 in today’s prices.  So you are correct £170 is not too bad.

https://iamkate.com/data/uk-inflation/

Participant

Of course that assumes that you think paying £120 for Valley of the Four Winds or Warlock now would make sense.

(Bank of England inflation calculator reckons £20 in 1980 is £82.01 now – still way overpriced for the GW games)

Sorry Whirlwind, I have no idea about an answer to your question. My instinctive reaction is that it feels an expensive way to get figures for wargames and likely to be frustratingly incomplete in most scenarios.

I am entirely likely to be wrong as my boardgaming has been exclusively cardboard counter based. (Apart from Risk and Diplomacy and my copies of those are from the abstract plastic gaming piece phase of production).

Participant

Cthulhu Wars from Petersen Games gets round this by having the players take the role of competing great old ones and making humans nothing more than pawns. It’s a great game but you need to take out a mortgage to buy it and then take out another mortgage to buy somewhere to store the box. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petersen-Games-Cthulhu-Strategy-Board/dp/B00NT5AI8C

In CW the humans have already lost 😀

Participant

Then there are all the expansions…

Participant

Cthulhu Wars from Petersen Games gets round this by having the players take the role of competing great old ones and making humans nothing more than pawns. It’s a great game but you need to take out a mortgage to buy it and then take out another mortgage to buy somewhere to store the box. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petersen-Games-Cthulhu-Strategy-Board/dp/B00NT5AI8C

In CW the humans have already lost 😀

Was VotFW really 20 quid in 1980? I remember paying around £30 for AH, SPI and GDW boxed games (still have them), but there was no way I’d have forked out a score on a GW game. They weren’t…very good.

Participant

In terms of getting board game figures to use in wargames I can only suggest my own approach.

I’ve always rather liked the chibi style figures. In particular I liked Soda Pop’s Ninja All-Stars chibi ninja but at £60-£70 for the basic set and £5-£10 a single figure for add-ons I couldn’t justify buying them to myself.

But I kept an eye out on the likes of EBay just in case and eventually Steve’s Collectables (https://www.stevescollectables.co.uk) had the basic set (36 ninja figures, 6 samurai, board, cards, dice, tokens, rules) for £19.99, the clan packs (12 ninja figures and 2 large oni) for £7.99, single ronin figures for £1.95. Much more affordable. Slowly but surely I’ve amassed a collection of ninja, samurai and Oni at similar prices and even cheaper. The game itself turned out not to be to my taste but the figures have regularly turned up for games of Ronin and One Page Rules.

There are still figures I’d like but some, like the Shrine Sisters, seem only to be available from the Ninja Division store and much though I’d like the miniatures £40 for a pair of 28mm figures is too rich for my tastes!

I also fancied the Horizon Zero Dawn miniatures game but the kickstarter was again a bit pricey for my parsimonious soul. However when the kickstarter delivered a lot of people seem to have been unimpressed with the result and boxed sets were appearing at well below official price as punters recouped some of their losses. So I was able to scratch my HZD itch without going bankrupt in the process!

Modiphius, Steampowered, and the like, run sales from time to time. also a good time to pick up games/ figures cheaply.

That help any?

Participant

I’m not a Fantasy RPGer but I do have a yen for small games and have the ‘Tiny Epic Dungeon’ and the expansion pack. Each has 8 hero figures in it (though, to be honest, counters or meeples would do just as well) which seem about 25mm to the eye. Hard plastic & nicely sculpted. I must get around to painting them sometime.

The game is fun too, as are many of the same series.

Participant

Wolfenstien has some pretty cool miniatures into. Including a cyborg Hilter!!!

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.