Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Best paints for WW2 naval colours

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

I hope this doesn’t sound too lame, but my eyesight is not what it was and colour co-ordination/recognition is, if not entirely a thing of the past then certainly heading that way, plus I’m new to WW2 naval matters, so…..I was wondering if anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom on which paints they use for (primarily) RN coastal forces, particularly in 1:600 or 1:700.  I have just bought the Coastal Craft series of booklets (volumes 1-4 published for far, volume 5 in progress) and have listed below the paint references for the various colour schemes that appear in the booklets.  I use mainly Foundry and Tamiya acrylics, so any cross-references to those ranges would be particularly appreciated.

• 507 A, B & C;
    • MS1, 2, 3, 4 & 4A;
    • B5, 6, 15, 20, 30 & 55;
    • G5, 10, 20, & 45;
    • Western Approaches Blue & Green;
    • Mountbatten Light & Dark Pink.

Thanks for any help.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

There’s a company called Life Color that produce ‘authentic’ naval paints. I haven’t used their products, I just saw the name somewhere.

Found it!

https://mjwmodels.co.uk/lc-cs33-royal-navy-wwii-eastern-approach—early-war-set-1-22ml-x-6-4084-p.asp

https://mjwmodels.co.uk/lc-cs34-royal-navy-wwii-western-approach—late-war-set-2-22ml-x-6-4085-p.asp

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

grizzlymc
    Participant

Somebody took over the old White Ensign paints. Enamels in Humbrol type tins, often needing a second coat.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Somebody took over the old White Ensign paints. Enamels in Humbrol type tins, often needing a second coat.

These?

Colourcoats Sea

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Etranger
    Participant

These? Colourcoats Sea

Yes. Dead flat matt too. I’ve started using their military range on my British AFVs. They may need two coats.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Not sure I could go back to using enamels…

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

No, me neither.  However, I found these on the website of the publisher of the set of books I bought at Colours yesterday (bizarrely no mention of them in any of their full-page ads)!!!

http://coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/akan_paints.php?page=29

Royal Navy Colours for Coastal Forces set 1 is right at the bottom of the page; sets 2 and 3 are listed on the next page – set 2 is available and the contents listed in the “New” section of the website (see link below), whilst set 3 is “to be announced”.

http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/new.php

Thanks for all the suggestions, chaps, but I think these might do me…..

Etranger
    Participant

Looks like a new brand (to me anyway) .

telzy amber
    Participant

Lifecolour is ‘new’ and they are acrylic not enamel.

McKinstry
    Participant

Anyone know where I can get those UK Lifecolor sets in the US? The US, Italian and Kreigsmarine sets are wonderful.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

grizzlymc
    Participant

Yes Mr Not Sage, strong is the google fu in this one!

grizzlymc
    Participant

ET, I have used my basecoat as an undercoat in place of matt white, that way you get two coats without a third to obscure the detail. Then you pick up details with humbrols.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.