Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Big ass hot LZ insertion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Well, while I’ve been busy trying to learn to fly a helicopter with more correct equipment, my subscriber count shot past 300 to a whopping 313! So it’s 300 subscriber bonanza. 10 Huey hot LZ insertion, With 4 Huey Gunship support as well as 4 F105s, 2 F100s, and 2 A4s for CAS. 60 grunts get put on the ground, lots and lots of explosions and tracers.

Participant

That was a wild insertion.  Getting on the ground faster will get easier with practice, and your new setup is going to take time to get used to, for sure.

The Nam accounts I have read always talk about the necessity for straight approaches into LZs when inserting as a group, but spiraling descents when a single ship.  A straight approach might help keep those collisions down.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

That was a wild insertion. Getting on the ground faster will get easier with practice, and your new setup is going to take time to get used to, for sure. The Nam accounts I have read always talk about the necessity for straight approaches into LZs when inserting as a group, but spiraling descents when a single ship. A straight approach might help keep those collisions down.

Ideally I should have 3 LZs each with 3 choppers in queue, one chopper down for 5-10 seconds troopers jump out, then 30 seconds behind the next one. So in about  90 seconds the 9 chopper would put down  54 troopers. While covered  by gunships and other CAS ready on the radio if needed.

That appears to be the way assault landings where done.

But I’m not good enough with the editor to get that done, and I’m unsure if the AI is capable (you saw how the choppers flew around like headless chickens) the helicopter AI seems particularly bad in DCS.

I’ve noticed in previous missions I’ve made when I’ve used Cobra gunships AI, they kinda just buzz around badly making themselves big targets and get shot down. And in urban environments they have a tendency to hit buildings.

So choppers are one of the units where you really feel the weakness of the AI.

I see what you mean in the FAC post about hit register being big, even though you said DCS fixed them.

A shame about AI, seems to be the problem with most games.

I see what you mean in the FAC post about hit register being big, even though you said DCS fixed them. A shame about AI, seems to be the problem with most games.

Yes, in a game like IL2 they kinda get away with it as there seem to  be a higher proportion of players playing PVP online. While in DCS singleplayer is very big and even in multiplayer PVE is still by far the main thing. Partly because that’s better if doing serious milsim. But also party because of the disparity in quality of red and blue forces. The best red force plane that is not a mod is the Chinese J11, which can use modern Fox 3 and Fox 2. Also the MiG29S can use the best Fox 2. But both of those models are FC3 type planes with less complex controls. Short of using the F14 as red force, the red force has no missiles that can really compete with blue force.

Red force has decent close combat ability they have powerful air to ground ordnance, and their AI ships and AAA are powerful (probably to powerful based on recent real life happenings.) That’s why cold war stuff is getting more and more popular. Still missing quite a lot of red force stuff.  But at least the MiG21 and 19, and 15 can do some damage when used by good players coordinating, against the F5s, and Sabers. We’ll see what happens when the F4 comes along, but red force will also get the very bad MiG25, and the decent Su22.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.