Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Big little Napoleonics project

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Hi all

A while ago I stumbled across some pictures of Horse and musket (https://forwardmarchstudios.com/photo-gallery) games in 2mm and I was very impressed. Whilst I’m a big 6mm fan I really like the idea of being able to fight big battles on a reasonable sized area, and have a realistic chance of finishing the project! The 2mm setup and photos appealed and the the sweeping shots look like real battles, so I was hooked.

EDIT: here’s what I’m talking about in regards to what I want to achieve.

My plan is to print and paint forces for all the major Napoleonic battles (excluding The Peninsular and Egypt), and use Grand Armee for the rules. The figures are on 40mm wide bases which is almost half the standard GA scale of 75mm sized  bases. So I cramp as many figures as I can onto the bases.

I also own a 3d printer and the cost of printing 2mm figures is extremely cheap, so I splashed out the $15Us for the 3D files of Infantry, Cavalry, General, Artillery and buildings.  I tried a few different settings and had some stringing  issues (not unusual for 3D printers) and here are the first prints. Forward March Studio have a few different styles so I went with the “2 to1” Infantry and also the Epic Infantry.

And I painted a couple of bases to see how they would look. I’m very happy with the result, as the initial prints don’t have a lot of details, as you would expect, but its a change in mindset from 28mm figures! Each base took about 10 minutes to paint so it is very fast. I spent bit of time painting all the different pom-poms for each company but I won’t in the future.

More soon as I started this project a while ago so I have made some progress.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by 6mmwargaming6mmwargaming.
    RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

The really tiny scales are fast becoming my favourite approach to massed battle historicals, especially for horse-and-musket. Nicely done, and thanks for highlighting that 3D-printed 2mm is an option on the market.

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks, I agree although i have a lot of 6mm H&M figures.

After a few prints I decided that I prefer the “Epic” style of figures which are about 2.5mm. They are individual figures rather than a solid strip so it is easier to see the different figures. Also the printers lines “add” detail to the model sometimes. 🙂

Here’s a picture of a finished base (40mm square) modified slightly with a flag added. The skirmishers are based on the Epic infantry which i modified in Tinkercad. Each base will have 2 strips plus some Skirmishers or Generals or Wagons etc.

Thanks for looking

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Now its time to start this project off properly. As I mentioned the plan is to build forces refight all the major European Napoleonic battles using Sam Mustafa’s “Grand Armee” rules.

I managed to find some storage boxes at the local “Made in Japan” shop so I picked up 2 colour co-ordinated boxes for each army – Yellow – Austrian, Blue – French , Red – British, and I have some clear boxes for other nations.

Also I chopped up about 120 40x40mm bases for the Infantry and Cavalry units and 40 20x40mm bases for the artillery. I don’t think it will be enough but it will keep me going.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by 6mmwargaming6mmwargaming.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by 6mmwargaming6mmwargaming.
    Iain FullerIain Fuller
    Participant

I’m digging this – and much prefer the ‘epic’ figures too – will be following with interest.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Those figs are looking really good, well massed at that scale.  Looking forwards to seeing what the cav and General types look like.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

jeffers
    Participant

I love the idea of epic 2.5mm! But I suppose if you are into pom-poms you have to sacrifice some table space… Following this with interest.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve also been modifying some for Forward March Studios designs to create different troop types. I imported some of the Epic infantry into Tinkercad and remove some of the figures and created different shaped bases of skirmishers. You can see some of the skirmishers earlier in this thread painted as Legere.

Thanks

Kieran

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

The next files I tweaked from FMS was their infantry. I got some of the Epic infantry, chopped off their heads and added something resembling an Austrian helmet. This will work for Bavarians as well at this scale

And I printed some out (although its very hard to see the details, they are there!)

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Here’s some photographs of the first completed Austrian bases. The white was hard to get right but it works from a distance and the are recognisable. Although its hard to tell, the skirmishers are a mix of line Infantry and Jaegers. I’m not happy about the white between the ranks but that will be a nightmare to try and fix I think!

Also I’m still working on the back of the bases. I made something as a dice holder but I’m not sure about how to do the labels. Originally I planned to just glue them on but looking at some OOBs there is a lot different in Corps between battles so that will not work. I might have to go down the magnetised label path.

Thanks

Participant

I think it works quite well.

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Finally getting back into this, although the 3d printer has been going flat out. I’m printed 100 bases (200 strips) of infantry and 40 of artillery including limbers!

My 5mm dice arrived from China and I also printed a few test dice holder pieces for the bases. Looking at the OOBs most of the units need 2 dice instead of 1, so I will mostly print those. The Grand Armee rules uses unit strengths and the easiest method is to have dice on the base to show the strength.

Generally I will use them in the following way
    Green = Russian
    Yellow = Austrian
    Orange (meant to be Red!) = British
    Blue = French
    White = mixed nations

Black = Prussians

Also here’s a photo showing the base with my plastic strip design. I will stick some magnetic strips down at the back so I can have removable unit labels for different battles. Obviously I’ll paint and flock up to the plastic strip.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I love 5mm dice.

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Its been a while but I have managed to finish 4 base of Napoleonic French Guard – 2 Old and 2 Middle Guard.

The can also be used as Consular Guard in earlier periods, even though the flags are wrong. The figures are the FMS “2 to 1” figures which I printed a few of as samples, but wasn’t keen on the style, and they are a bit taller, so perfect as Old Guard. I sanded the top of the head slightly as they were cone shaped. I’ll also use some of the other samples as Austrian grenadiers as they had tall pointy hats.

I have switched to a fine foam flock instead of static grass and it looks better, but I just want to adjust the shade of green slightly.

The last photos shows my dice holders and for Grand Armee. Stronger units usually have a 10-11 Strength points, so I need 2 dice to represent that.

Middle Guard

Old Guard

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by 6mmwargaming6mmwargaming.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by 6mmwargaming6mmwargaming.
    6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve finished my first couple bases of French Foot artillery. I used a mix of limbers but will settle on the “Epic” series for the remaining bases (except what is on the painting block). I’m not super happy with these but the close ups are not very flattering!

Cheers

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Such a great project! I would have gone this route back in the day if FMS’ products had been available. Even with my investment in 3mm, I’d STILL do this for Blucher, if I had reasonable access to 3D printing.

Maybe someday…

Btw, your mileage may vary, but I found it better to give all the French line blue pom-poms, all the light yellow, all the guard red, etc. And conscripts were given grey shako covers and no pom-poms at all.

It is not historic, but makes the battlefield a lot more legible to the eye at this scale and avoids the “chaos effect” that too often occurs from over-detailing at this scale.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks, the FMS figures are what drew me in. I’ve seen some very nice Irregular figures painted up but the bare metal figures didn’t appeal. And being able to print hundreds of bases for little cost is great. The FMS range is worth it for the buildings alone I think (some painted examples soon) and 3d printing is getting pretty cheap now.

Yeah you are right about painting the pom poms different colours. The Guard with the red, stand out in my box vs the infantry and I found painting all the colours for each company very time consuming.

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

You could give the light infantry orangish-yellow pompoms to make them pop more and stand out from the austrians.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Well its been a while but I have finished some buildings.

The Church I found on Thingverse and the Cloister was from a 1/1200th colonial buildings set also on Thingverse.

To paint them I used a white undercoat and tried out the new GW contrast paint “Skeleton Horde” on them. The colour and shading was very nice but it didnt work very well on the smooth surfaces and tended to bring out the poor parts of the print. But it was very quick – two coats followed by some touch ups and then highlighting.

Overall I’m very happy with the colour and the finished buildings especially when the 2ft rule is applied!

Church

Cloister

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by 6mmwargaming6mmwargaming.
    Participant

Looks good to me, and will look great on the table.

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks. These are pretty extreme closeups, so from 2ft or further, they should look great.

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

A while back I was off work for 8 weeks so I was printing 2mm infantry and artillery 24/7. I printed an additional 200 individual infantry bases and  80 limbers and 80 guns and lots of cavalry, which was on top of what I already had. Each infantry base take about 1 1/2 hours to print as I used very fine nozzle 0.2mm and settings (saves a lot of cleanup later on!) You can print fast and spend a lot of time of cleanup, or print slower and have less cleanup to do.

Unfortunately I haven’t made much of an impact in these as I have been trying to finish off other wargames projects.

Also some of the flags didn’t print out very well or are too weak, so I got out the green stuff to add flags, as having flags really helps id’ing 2mm figures from a distance.

Cheers

Kieran

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’m a bit slow with the updates at the moment. Hopefully I can get some photos this weekend as I have finished a number of bases.

I did lay out all my cavalry that I have printed to see how much I have, and I have a lot of heavy cavalry although they are pretty interchangeable. The orange command bases are made from slicing up Epic cavalry bases in Tinkercad. I didn’t bother with flags and I may not for any of the cavalry.

Left, Heavy cavalry, right Light cavalry, at the back is Lancers. A number are warped so they will be made into smaller regiments

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve finished 2 French brigades and these are slightly different from my previous French as I have command bases in front, instead of Skirmishers.

I also painted all the pom-poms pink except for the Light and Grenadier companies.

I don’t think the French would have had 2 flags like this but the effect is good.

And here’s some spare command stands I modified and printed. I took the Epic infantry base and added a flag and then removed figures, using Tinkercad. The bases have been flocked as it is easier when they are not mounted, but edges will get finished once they are mounted on a proper base (like above).

For the rest of the bases I’ll use use these on stands where the main battalions don’t have a flag.

Cheers

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

The next set of bases I’ve finished is 4 bases of Austrian Napoleonic Grenadiers. The figures are the FMS “2 to 1” figures which with the taller pointy hats, suit the Austrian bearskin hats better. They look a little plain from the front with flags or skirmishers but i used a number of different colours on their bearskin hats, to represent the different parent regiments. Also I painted some with blue pants to show the Hungarian regiments.

Thanks for looking

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

And another 2 bases of French Line infantry with Skirmishers. Hopefully soon I will switch to Cavalry and commanders as I almost have enough foot bases for a small game.

I still have a bit of mental block on the cavalry though

SteelonsandSteelonsand
    Participant

Great update on your continuing project – one that I have been watching with interest – thanks for posting.

Napoleonics is the one ‘smallest scale’ project that I have yet to get to grips with – mainly because I just can’t pin down what level to represent – brigaded bases a la Blucher seem to be the way to go, as regimental  would mean a zillion blocks to do – so have been interested in your more generic idea/approach – I had initially thought to faithfully represent each squadron or battalion within a brigade in representative formations, but got a bit bogged down in the mechanics of it all, so the whole thing sort of ground to a halt……

The real game-changer, of course, has been the entry of Forward March Studios….. If I wasn’t so invested in Irregular Miniatures’ 2mm metals, (I literally have Fort Knox levels of hoarded blocks !) I would be sorely tempted…..

I feel your pain with the painting of cavalry – another thing that has kept me on the back foot – infantry lines lend themselves to the broad brush approach – but individual horses less so – would be easy just to go with various shades (black for heavies, roan for dragoons, etc), but then what about the whites of trumpeters, and bringing the bases to life with more variations….. I once gave myself a hernia painting a shed load of ECW cav in 2mm and it can be very time consuming getting them to look ‘right’ by having enough variation in colour…….

Anyway – let us know how you get on – enquiring minds want to know

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by SteelonsandSteelonsand.
    6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Cheers

Yes I know what you mean about representing different units within a brigade. That’s one of the reasons I started with French and Austrians foot as they are pretty generic brigades. I’m not sure what to do when I get into Cavalry or the Austrian mixed brigades with Grenzers, Cavalry, Infantry and Jaegers, as the brigades differed between battles even in the same campaign. The bases labels will be removeable so I can switch then out, and I think I can live with the odd brigade with the wrong units. I was planning something similar to what you suggested regarding cavalry colours – darker colours on the heavies, and so far I have avoided painting musicians or commanders!

I agree FMS was the game changer for me as I didn’t have any 2mm (lots of 6mm) and I had a 3D printer. It seems a very good scale to 3D print as my attempts printing figures in larger scales has not gone that well.

PS: it would great to see your blog come alive again

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

The next batch of figures are complete – about 650 of them including white crossbelts!

Looking at French OOBs for Wagram and Aspern it seems that there was often a light brigade per corp (well at least for the Grande Armee rules).

So I painted 5 bases worth of Light infantry brigades.

The figures were given a medium blue watered down coat over a white undercoat. Next I painted the backpacks and then blacked out the heads. the next strep was to paint the face, gold shako plate and a green pom-pom, followed by touchups. However the figures looked very plain at this point, so I came up with the crazy idea to paint the white belts on the figures. I used a very fine brush and painted “X”s on the front of the figures in the front rank. This wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and the figures looked much better.

Not the greatest photos but I hope you like them

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Its been a while as its summer here and I was away on a long camping trip.

I’ve finally cracked my first batch of cavalry – 12 strips of French Dragoons (but only 5 in the photo)

Very happy with them and I even managed to paint the white crossbelts on the backs. Its hard to tell as I realised that the figures are shiny and haven’t been given a matt varnish yet.

I found the best way when painting to avoid going over parts again, is to start by painting the horses and then the legs and body before moving onto the face and headgear.

The backs

Also I remembered to use my light box so the lighting is much more intense!

Next up some more heavys in the form of French Curassiers and Carabiners, and some buildings.

Participant

Looks like they’ll mass up nicely on the tabletop.  Crazy that you can get that detailed with your painting in 3mm!

SteelonsandSteelonsand
    Participant

‘Mass’ indeed ! – what larger scale gamers could boast of having painted up over 400 dragoons in one go ?

Coming along nicely….

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks a lot – yeah 480 Dragons in one go sounds impressive!

Next up is a sample batch of 2mm buildings from the Forward March range. I found these hard to paint and the windows gave me a lot of grief, but they were early prints, so the quality was not so good.

Also I have to figure out how to model towns and cities and Zachs pictures of his cities are very inspiring. I want to make them reasonable flexible but still have some of the smaller details like walls and hedges. I have lots 1.9mm plywood for bases I my initial thoughts are a mix of different shaped bases (that can interlock) with some features such as castle walls, bridges, rivers with lots of space to add buildings.

How do others model 2mm towns and cities?

6mmwargaming6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve printed out some of Forward March’s Castle walls, towers and an entrance which I plan to use for towns and cities. These are great designs which will look amazing painted up.

I haven’t figured how I want to base them with my current thoughts being to create semi modular city sections with walls that line up.

SteelonsandSteelonsand
    Participant

Just catching up again with this topic – nice to see the progress – the paint jobs on the selection of buildings look really good – certainly ‘of the period’ in your choice of colours – nice!

as to the use of buildings at this scale – surely the world is now your oyster with the 3D printed stuff ….. Talk about world building 😄……. I think Forward March Studios recently posted on the ‘Place that shall not be named’ recently about some really complex, large urban areas – don’t know how practical they will be for gaming – but look amazing….

I guess without getting too precious about ground scale etc, then a form of interlocking BUAs would be the way to go as you suggest – it’s not as if the Brigade type bases will be fighting ‘in’ them as such – more being placed alongside, after all….

Back in the day, I played around with placing individual, unbased buildings from Rod Langton’s 1/1200th ranges to go alongside Irregular’s 2mm onto BUA ‘plates’, painted with random roadways/paths etc – looked good en masse…..

Will look forward to seeing your urban areas grow…… And remember, lots of pictures or it didn’t happen…… 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.