Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Big little Napoleonics project

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Patrice
    Participant

Astonishing!

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I was hoping to update this thread sooner but its been a crazy time with the virus thing, and then my work got extremely busy for the last 3 weeks. But I did manage to finish off the Austrian infantry from my last post. This is a large chunk of my army and I am a lot closer to being able to a play a game.

All 16 bases were painted at once (around 2000 figures) and I used a fine tip black and red pen on the flags which I am especially pleased with.

One of the better flags

All of them

Squares (with a splodge of green paint to touch up)

Austrian Masse bases

Another closeup

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Really works quite well, great effect.  Looks like an actual army!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks, thats what I like about this scale.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Hi all

Sadly another long gap between updates. There always seems to be an endless amount of half finished projects on my workbench.

I’m knocked out another batch of buildings in different colours to the last batch, so I can start to plan how to lay them out on some bases. I probably enjoy making terrain more than painting figures and finishing these buildings gets me closer to starting on some farms, villages and larger towns along with other terrain.

The buildings are a mix of Forward March Studios along with a handful from Thingverse (including the La Belle Alliance in the front).

The painting is a little rough but I just want to get them on the table!

Thanks

6mmwargaming
    Participant

And some rural buildings. A mix of FMS and stuff from Thingverse including a La Haye Sainte. I’ll probably texture the base on the farm a bit more to hide the print lines.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Here’s another update with some more buildings and Austrian Artillery

24 bases worth of Austrian Artillery guns. These are just the guns and I still need to paint the limbers and so they don’t look that good right now. I will eventually base 1 strip of guns (2 + crew) and 2 limber/cassions on a base, to represent a battery.

And some more buildings. These are mostly models I got off Thingverse with a few FMS buildings.

Cheers
    Kieran

willz
    Participant

Very impressive, you will be able to play large scale battles with these figures.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve completed more Austrians with quite a few more in the pipeline. I really want to finish the Austrians and French this year, and even get some terrain completed so I can play some games.

Kurassiers which were easy to paint with the simple colour scheme, and I went with black horses to distinguish them from the Dragoons and Cheveauxlegers. There is enough for 4 Brigades (units) worth which will cover the big battles like Aspern-Essling and Wagram.

Kurassiers

Kurassiers

And Dragoons on Chocolate brown horses – enough for 4 units worth, although most will end up in mixed cavalry brigades.

Dragoons

Dragoons

These will look nicer once I finish the basing.

hammurabi70
    Participant

I have been following this with interest as I have a plan to use 2mm miniatures.  However, you seem to use a standard uniform colour format.  In looking at uniform colour the key point is probably the obvious one that uniform colours were very varied, which explains the importance of flags to clarify which side a unit is on. Infantry seem more homogenous than cavalry but even so I have seen Austrian uniforms with white, grey and sky blue trousers.  Cavalry seem hopelessly varied across all the nations and one wonders if you can get away with just about any combination possible. Presumably, being wealthier and somewhat more prestigious, cavalry could differentiate themselves more.  The Austrian 1st Hussars seem to have been dark blue, 4th Hussars Light Green and 5th Hussars Dark Green.  Have you gone with generic colours?  If so, is there another format you use to differentiate the units? Is there somewhere on the internet that lists all regiments and their uniform colours or is there a reference book detailing these? It might be considered a tad too much for painting 2mm but it is just a question of getting the rough details right. 

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Your right, I have only painted units with standard colours so far. I’ve painted a few Hungarian infantry units with blue trousers, but when I researched the OOBs, there wasn’t that many Hungarian infantry units in the battles. Grenzers seem to mostly have brown coats with blue trousers, with a unit in white coat and blue trousers. Obviously I didn’t bother with facing colours for the infantry in this scale.

I was leaving the Hussars to last while I figure the colours for them as most other cavalry had standard uniforms with different facings. I’m also trying to create enough to cover most of the Napoleonic period, so there is a confusing mix units in different battles which were brigaded together. eg the 10th Stipsicz Hussars at Aspern were brigaded with the 2nd Schwarzenberg Ulhans, but at Wagram they were in a Advanced guard mixed brigade with Grenzers and Jaeger. But yes I will try to make this as accurate as possible so I will be painting the same unit twice for the Hussars mainly.

For the Cheveauxlegers I will just paint them white as they started the period in white, switched to green and then some units went back to white!

I found the Baccus painting guides to have the right amount of information for painting this scale, and it seems pretty accurate when I’ve compared it with Ospreys and the plates of Knoetel. See here https://www.baccus6mm.com/PaintingGuides/NAP/

EDIT: I just read that some of the dragoons continued to wear green jackets up until 1805 so I will paint a few Cheveauxlegers in green jackets to use as either cavalry type.

I hope that helps.

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to do something like this for fantasy. Your project looks really good.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

hammurabi70
    Participant

I am a great fan of Baccus figures and use them for my ancients; I would certainly use them for Napoleonic too as I prefer them to the ‘wooden’ MDF figures.  However, needing to do all five major powers quickly the Irregular 2mm seem to fit the requirements.  I did not know about the painting guide and that is exactly what I need, many thanks.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Again, hat’s off! This is an excellent project. I need FMS’ files for the buildings.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Again, hat’s off! This is an excellent project. I need FMS’ files for the buildings.

Yes the FMS buildings are lovely. Also if you buy the files you can get access to the “Lab” area on their forum where some of the fan released stuff is also very nice.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

So I was figuring out how many Lancers I needed for the French and Austrians, and I looked at the stuff I printed previously and they were terrible prints. Lots of warping and the lances came out so bad I expect 3/4 will break during cleanup.

I printed a few more using some fresh PLA and a slightly better settings and the difference was massive. Virtually no stringing which I am very pleased with as I have a Bowden setup and stringing is quite common on prints.

So I trashed all the old ones as its not worth the cleanup effort. At the time I printed these I was off work with an injury and on lots of painkillers, so it clearly effected my quality control! I biffed quite a few other figures that I printed during my time off as there was some badly warped figures that are too much work to cleanup.

New figures in grey, vs old in white, buff and orange

Lancers

Lancers

Lancers

\

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Wow, that really is a big difference!  Great work.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

After a lot of procrastinating I’ve start on some 2mm scenery. I’m making a river and a smaller stream as well as some larger pieces to represent the Danube river for some 1809 games. I’m sure the water is not that blue but it looks good!

I brought some thin clear plastic A3 sleeves (also called L-shaped pockets) from a stationery shop. I give then a light sand so the paint will grip better, then I mix up some craft paint and caulk and brush it on. I paint a few different shades of blue with some green, grey and black mixed in. The caulk helps give it some texture and it is a more forgiving than just paint if the plastic flexes.

Once that was dry I painted the banks and sprinkled flock on while the paint was still wet. I’ll cut the river shapes out and add bushes and trees next.

Thanks

6mmwargaming
    Participant

The rivers and streams are complete now.

I finished off the flocking and then glued patch clumps of Woodland scenics foliage on the banks, as well as a few 2mm houses to give it a sense of scale. I thought about adding more types of flock but I didn’t want it to to look too busy.

Also I started on some roads. This is just coloured caulk smeared onto the same plastic sheet and then lightly textured with a brush. I watered down the caulk slightly to make it smooth out better. These are all going to be straight roads and I plan to cut them up and give each strip a dry brush.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

After a 10 day road trip I’ve been cracking into these with the goal of playing a game in 2021. I can’t believe its taken me so long to get this project done! 🙁

I’m working on all the required Austrian and French cavalry, and I should have some more completed soon.

The first batch is some nice simple French Chasseurs – 3 1/2 bases worth (as some will be brigaded with Hussars)

Curassiers next!

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing a battle report. Seems like a lot of rivers above.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing a battle report. Seems like a lot of rivers above.

Yeah I think I made too many!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It’s always good to have options in the layout of rivers, some windy and some not so.  Good stuff dude, can’t wait to see a battle go down.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

The next units I have finished is 6 bases of French Cuirassiers. I painted all the horses black as my plan is to paint darker colours for heavy cavalry and lighter colours for the light cavalry. They dont look very exciting but its another 6 bases finished!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Getting stuff done is nothing to scoff at!  SOunds like a good plan and easily identifies who is what.  Keep it going!

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve been painting some more French infantry. The base is 40mm square to give you an idea how big the square is.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

My next completed units are 3 French Line infantry. This is in column based on the FMS strips which I changed in Tinkercad. The flags are Greenstuff putty.

Thanks

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve moved onto the Austrian light cavalry now.

First is a unit of Insurrection Hussars (usually lower fighting strength so the base marker can take only 1 dice)

And my first brigade of Chevaulegers. The rest will be in mixed briagdes with Hussars. I went for green coats although some had white coats, I thought it would be easier to distinguish on the tabletop. But you can hardly see the colours so it was a mute point!

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to post these for a while.

I’ve finished 6 bases on Austrian Hussars (with a few cheuvalegers) which will give me enough options for the light cavalry units for Wagram and Aspern-Essling.

Its pretty hard to see but I managed to capture the different jacket, trouser and shako colours for the different regiments.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.