Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Black Seas American Brig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #136986
    VolunteerVolunteer
    Participant

    I moved on to one of the brigs in the Black Seas US Squadron pack. The modifications I made are:
    1) Cut the spars away from the masts and dress the masts.
    2) Cut the two pieces of the furled main course sail away from the plastic spar remnants.
    3) Cut and dress new spars using 0.32 music wire.
    4) Glued the two pieces of the furled sail to the new main course spar. Filled the gap with green stuff putty and sculpted it to match the rest of the sail.
    5) Cut two gun hatches in a piece of 60# card, fitted and glued it to the inside of the taff rail at the stern. (As it turned out this detail really wasn’t necessary since the driver and all the rigging make it difficult to see anyway.)
    6) Cut out two card hatch covers and glued them to the outside of the stern, matching the inside hatch locations.
    7) Mounted a fife rail aft of the main mast base to tie off the brace lines from the foremast spars. (Next one I will do the same at the foremast.)
    8) Extended all of the fighting tops
    9) Made the ratlines with the new jig

     

    Heading into the Mediterranean

    http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/05/black-seas-american-brig.html?m=1

    "Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

    #137005
    Autodidact-O-SaurusAutodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

    Wonderful, wonderful! I really like some of the details you’ve added like the blocks and the way the pennant is attached (I’ve often wondered about that). Your ratlines are so very impressive. You made the right decision to cut off the spars and drill new holes for the backstays. That avoids so many issues. I’ve been thinking about cutting off and rebuilding the spars but have not yet mustered up the courage.

    Is there one or more 1/700 scale xebecs in your future?

    Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

    #137156
    VolunteerVolunteer
    Participant

    Thanks Jeff. I added blocks to the frigate rigging as well. And yes I have seen some xebecs folks have made from the brigs. They are good ideas, but I think the brigs are just too fat to make a decent xebec. I believe the Black sails schooners would make a better xebec. They are much narrower. And besides, Henry Turner has a free 1/700 3D xebec on the Wargaming3D webside if I can just find someone to print it for me! Anyway it may be a while before I can get back to this scale. I just took a commission to kit bash four Sails of Glory ships. So that is going to occupy my limited shipyard time for the next couple of weeks or more.

    "Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.