Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Sci-fi / Fantasy Blade and Lockpick & Ursurper SOLO RPG campaign test.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomaston
    Participant

Hi, I’m not good at writing reviews and wanted to try do a battle report so I did this.

The rules used are Blade and Lockpick for most things and Usurper for non combat interactions and character creation.

Sorry for the quality of the images and spelling mistakes.

Images began blurry, got more blurry during down scale and then very blurry getting it to upload size.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Everything about this looks wonderful 🙂

Thank you for sharing.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Great stuff !

Love the figures and board \ map. Makes me wonder why I always go for the complicated path – 1/72 etc.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words

My thoughts on using the rules.

I have a lot of NWG rules, including Dungeon Scum but I prefered the simplicity of Blade and Lockpick and the narrative friendliness of Usurper’s action resolution table. These two rules mesh very well, although Dungeon Scum would work for more detailed fights, but I thought Usurper was too slow for fights.

Next action table on p.54 of Dungeon Scum is by far the most useful table for my solo play.

And it’s a D6 table so I can put it on a blank dice.

I have a thing against anything not D6, the D100 tables were a little annoying but consistent for both rules. A lot of the tables in the solo section are the same but I like the layout in blade and lockpick more.

The entire play above took less than 20 rolls.

1 roll on Character Event table and 3 rolls on Background Event table for the initial plot. A few rolls for encounters and to go to tall Peak or bypass it. I used colored dice for each character during combat rolls and used the scores to narrate the fights. Erska rolled a 1 (and I forgot to reroll) the beastman rolled 3 and Arian rolled 4. Erska was going to loose but Arian saved her. The last beastman and Arian rolled 1s, the rest rolled 3.

The entire episode in Tall Peak was all using Usurper, action table and professions for the 3 volunteers.

For most misc decisions I used a simple D6 roll

Yes and, Yes, Yes but, No but, No, No and

The Oracle system is similar with 8 outcomes but mine is a D6 roll

I do wish the tables used D6 though.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Thomaston.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Thomaston:

Well done, sir! A good report and some interesting insights on your part. Thank you for sharing this and I hope you find your way to posting more battle reports with rules analysis thrown into the mix.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Appreciate the run down. I could be talked into converting some tables to D6 format and including them in B&L. Any particular tables on the top of the wish list?

Did you use the miniatures mostly just for visuals or did you measure out movements and soforth?

Nordic Weasel Games

I purchased the rule based off your report and visuals (Call me magpie) so this should be fun.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Thanks!

Let me know what you want to see in there. It’s something I am interested in developing further.

Nordic Weasel Games

Thomaston
    Participant

PaintedLittleSoldiers

Let me know if you liked the rules and how you use them, always looking for new house rules. I have to admit I’m pretty eccentric about my gaming rules.

Rod

Thanks, I’m planning to post the campaign in the fantasy section of the forum once I have more episodes.

It’s kind of tough taking photos at every step. I already screwed up not taking enough photos for Episode 2.

I’ll make sure to add rules commentary there. I had to cut my write up down a lot including most of the background and the initial story.

Ivan

The miniatures are for visuals. Right up to the actual game I was going to use simplified movement where passing challenge gives them full movement and failed challenge give them half movement. It was too tedious to come up with different speed for monsters and the minis were too fiddly to move like that, I would use speed with larger minis.

Thanks for the offer. I’m not too bothered by the D100 just a personal preference and the distribution is probably  better than what xD6 bell curve could give. I wouldn’t say no to it and would love to test any tables you make.

Edit: found the monster generator in usurper, been skipping that section of the rules.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.