Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Bloody Big Battles (BBB) now on groups.io

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Pringle 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Like a lot of wargames forums, the BBB Yahoo group has migrated to groups.io:

https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles/topics

Happily this means the 100s of scenarios, player aids and other resources in the group files have been preserved, not to mention five years of erudite (or not) discussion.

The files are also easier to find than they were in Yahoo; and I believe the group is easier to join. If BBB might be of interest to you, please do check out the group and join up if you haven’t already.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

I wish you had gone with Facebook groups.  I think it is something that lots and lots of gamers already have accounts for.  I belong to several game related groups there now.  The interface is easy to use.  It’s easy to upload and access pictures.  The only downside is that it is facebook.  😉

groups.io appears to be more of a yahoo knock off.  that’s not necessarily a good thing.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

vtsaogames
    vtsaogames
    Participant

I’m glad the group didn’t move to Facebook since I won’t use it. I’m sure my personal data is for sale or barter all over the net anyway, but I really don’t like Facebook’s policies or the way the interface functions. I do peek at my wife’s from time to time and don’t like much of what I see.

Groups.io is designed by the original inventor of Yahoo groups. He was bought out. In time all the tech people left and Yahoo began to decline. Groups.io is what Yahoo groups could have been. The look and feel is familiar but without ads. And it works.

https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Well, it’s tricky: some people love FB and want to use nothing else, others vow never to touch it.

With nearly 800 members and a huge archive of stuff on the Yahoo group, transferring to groups.io seemed the best way to preserve and continue that thriving community.

That said, there is also a BBB Facebook page for those who prefer that:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331/

Hopefully this way everyone can find what they need by their preferred route.

Chris

hammurabi70
    hammurabi70
    Participant

Glad it has gone to GROUPS.  A lot of us do not use FB; Sam Mustafa has taken his forum there, so those of us who do not use it have lost touch with a key rules designer.  AFAIK know many complain that FB lacks appropriate file and thread style most appropriate for running a group.

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

Thanks Chris. Groups. Io is fine by me.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Thanks, Martin – welcome aboard.

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.