Home Forums General Board Games and Card Games Board Games Are Booming, Here’s Why

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EllenEllen
    Participant

This article sums up the appeal of board games so well. I would definitely recommend that you read this!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/01/board-games-are-booming-heres-why/?fbclid=IwAR2ml_Nlf5UPpe0Oyjca5NDZiYOrPTLsHqOUZOdWYCKHGXcApxPceMblDsQ

www.gamingenhancements.com

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

Interesting read.  For me there is a fifth element to boardgames v most miniatures wargaming, and it is that the board game box contains everything you will need to play it.  Two years on from deciding to play the invasion of France in 1940 I am still buying and painting miniatures.  To a very large extent this is because miniatures wargaming can be open ended.  There is always scope to buy, paint and field another unit of a type you don’t already have (or have enough of).  Buy a board game and you’re ready to go immediately.

I have played board games for almost as far back as I can remember.  For me they came before miniatures gaming did.  From Ludo and Snakes & Ladders, through Risk, then myriad SPI hex based wargames, and more recently onto Warfighter and Zombicide, I have enjoyed them all.  Through the latter two I discovered the fun in cooperative gaming and they opened a whole new field of games for me.  Long live the board game!

"The closest thing is in 1917, they say, the great pandemic. It certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people, probably ended the Second World War."

"It's a tiny fraction of death, a tiny fraction and they get better quickly,"

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I too like the fact it is all there and ready to go.
    I also find family members are more likely to play a boardgame than a full on ‘tabletop wargame’.

willzwillz
    Participant

Board games are a battle / battles in a box, mainly fairly easy to get up an running and a good way to get non wargamers interested in this hobby.  “King maker” is one example of an all round good game, though ” Waddingtons campaign”is a good example of low level wargaming.

Willz.

hammurabi70hammurabi70
    Participant

Board games are a battle / battles in a box, mainly fairly easy to get up an running and a good way to get non wargamers interested in this hobby. “King maker” is one example of an all round good game, though ” Waddingtons campaign”is a good example of low level wargaming. Willz.

Quoting games from 1971 and 1974 might suggest a rather dated collection, even the widely popular Memoir 44 is fifteen years old.  An interesting general take on boardgame playing but it does not give much on the very active wargaming angle, which I am sure many here are only too familiar with.

willzwillz
    Participant

Board games are a battle / battles in a box, mainly fairly easy to get up an running and a good way to get non wargamers interested in this hobby. “King maker” is one example of an all round good game, though ” Waddingtons campaign”is a good example of low level wargaming. Willz.

Quoting games from 1971 and 1974 might suggest a rather dated collection, even the widely popular Memoir 44 is fifteen years old. An interesting general take on boardgame playing but it does not give much on the very active wargaming angle, which I am sure many here are only too familiar with.

Active wargaming angle, that depends on how often you game with your own particular choice of board / wargames and what is dated, this hobby is all about personal choice and taste.  Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder.  I mention “King maker and Campaign as they are easy games to pickup and play.  I could have mentioned “Xwing” or “Black sails” but feel free to quote new board games that you feel are just as good.  We are all interested in each other views.

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

I’ve been playing board games for about six decades now and am firmly in the “gamers have never had it so good” camp.

I’m lucky enough to have four regular board gaming groups but all of them are more interested in eurogames than in wargames per se. Heroes of Normandie is the honourable exception.

Recently played games include Terraforming Mars, Call to Adventure, Rail Raiders Infinite, King of Tokyo, Merchants and Marauders, The Expanse,  Nations and Age of War. So, plenty of military themes and conflict but not much by way of the traditional, CRT based, board games of my teens and twenties … and my gaming experience is much improved by that!

We tend to prefer games that can be played at least once in an evening, that keep players engaged to the end, that have more than one path to victory and where you win because you are smart but lose because you were unlucky 🙂  A myriad of modern games meet those criteria.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Thanks for the post. I watched the linked video, and found my next Christmas present for a birder cousin.

Speaking of boardgames and videos, for those who may not be aware of TableTop, it might be worth a look. About a hundred episodes on youtube — here’s one:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.