Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Boardgame inspiration?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was wondering how many people have been inspired by boardgames in fantasy wargaming. By that I mean that you played say “swords and sorcery” by SPI or TSR’s “Divine Right” and went on to include bits of the games (names, locations) in your own games? Or have you just lifted the setting wholesale?

I know there’s an Aardvark Wallow on the fringe of my fantasy world and the Huts of the Scum or the Stone Face of the Trolls are always threatening to make an appearance.

Participant

‘Aardvark Wallow’, now there’s a name that takes me back decades ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

I’ve actually done the opposite, sort of: in the 90’s I took the Fabled Lands series of choose your own adventure style gamebooks and used the setting in a homebrew nautical trading boardgame. Sadly, this was consigned to the things-you-throw-out-when-you-move-in-with-a-girl scrapheap.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

We often talked of using the world from Divine Right for a D&D world. I think it would have worked. Having had a look at the S&S rules which are on Boardgame Geek as a file, I think my teenage self – and my friends were spot on in thinking that it just tried too hard to be clever and funny. A few gags in a serious game is ok but this as as if National Lampoon had done a game of “Bored of the Rings”. And yet, bits of it have stuck, especially the Aardvark Wallow.

Participant

I’d imagine that games with nice map-boards would be a nice play aid at least ๐Ÿ™‚

Toying with War of the Ring currently and I could easily see the (HUGE) board ending up as a prop for The One Ring or MERP.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.