Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Bob Naismith sci fi figs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bob Naismith
    Participant

Hi Guys!  just a quickie to let you know about my Patreon and website (bobnaismith.com) – I have been making sci fi figure and vehicle stls and am having a great time – I hope you like them – please have a look!  https://www.patreon.com/user?u=31502359

Overrunners male jumptroops - one of the many filesets available

Bob N

Tony S
    Participant

It’s things like this that keep edging me closer to getting a 3D printer.   I have some of the old Naismith 15mm Far East castings, and they are quite well done.  And I think some of my SYW figures are also Naismith?   It’s been a long time, and I’m going from memory!

They look great Bob – hopefully this new way of producing figures makes fewer headaches for you.

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool cool

Mike Headden
    Participant

Hi Bob,

long time since I used to drop in to the workshop in Victoria Street to cadge coffee and biscuits from you, Ally and Trish! Your figures are a beautiful as ever.

While there are several sets that I would jump at, I don’t have a 3D printer, the cash to buy one, the space to set one up nor a free power socket to plug one in! So, I’ll just have to drool and pine 🙂

At least I don’t have to worry about trying to scale them to fit with my Elheim/ Gaslands/ Dark Future sci-fi RPG collection.

All the best with this, there have to be people (not old dinosaurs like me) who will jump at the chance.

Mike

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Very nice looking. I find myself somewhere on the scale between Tony and Mike H wrt myself doing 3D printing. I have some 3D printed minis in my collection and the quality makes me realize I may have to get into it at some point, but the number of options and what features and sizes I would need are areas I need to learn. I have also learned the process(es?) which produce the fine details, smooth layers, accurate curved surfaces and good surface finishes tend to use materials which are brittle.

In any case beautiful work. I like that they look like developments of present day equipment taken to future time. Not the dreadful “space marines” I see too much of.

Pardon my ignorance but can these be printed in different sizes (I game in 15mm)? I have heard some files can and some cannot and it is not the lost detail but the design behind the surface doesn’t scale on some designs.

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Those are some fun miniatures.

I remain decidedly on the fence about 3d printing at home. I feel like it would be yet another skill to learn for the sake of my hobby—one that has already involved several other skills that have taken a couple decades to work out well*—and I wonder if that time should be spent learning other things, useful or frivolous. In the meantime, I’ll continue outsourcing my printing needs.

*This scene from Season 1 of True Detective has a wonderful bit about how we choose to spend our time.

Bob Naismith
    Participant

Ha!  well its so nice to hear from you all!  yes Mike I remember those days on the terrace fondly…

quite some time ago….   made a lot of figures since then!

I get what you guys are saying about the digital print thing – in many ways it shadows the wariness that many manufacturers had around ten years ago – the uncertainties and apparent cost put a lot of folks off!  nowadays its more and more common and I find that around 60% of my work is now digital!

its very much up to you guys but all I can say is that I just bought another printer (an elegoo mars for £180) and its chugging away contentedly behind me at the moment! Its not reall y that tricky Id say and yes you can scale the figures as much as you like. a bottle of resin costs around £34 ish and youll probably get 70-100 28mm figs from it. apart from that youll need some isopropyl alcohol (same stuff they make hand sanitiser from) and a couple of plastic tubs. a luxury that I invested in was a fingernail hardening UV lamp from Amazon for about £20 – the resin prints benefit immensely from a few minutes under the lamp!!!!

In any event thanks again for the kind words – always glad to meet new folks even if only virtually…

Enjoy the game!!!

B

Bob N

Mike
    Keymaster

Yup, I use as nail varnish dryer too.

😀

Mike
    Keymaster

Do you use Chitubox for adding supports?
    That is the bit that causes me the most grief, but I am wondering if that is a scale thing.
    Printing mostly 10mm, the supports need to be small not to obscure the model and I am wondering if they are too small.

Bob Naismith
    Participant

chitubox works for me – I can see how youd have to be careful about connections on the sculpts – you couldnt put an extra bit on the actual figure file and feed to that?

Bob N

Mike
    Keymaster

Alas I can’t digitally sculpt or even do basic hacks…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.