Home Forums WWII Bolt Action: Imperial Japanese Color Test

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Coyotepunc
    Participant

My four models I used as a color test for my Imperial Japanese platoon in Bolt Action. These models allowed me to experiment with a variety of mismatched colors to get the “mismatchef, locally sourced, faded uniform” effect for my Veteran Japanese.

1 picture with room light, 1 picture with flash.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Coyotepunc.

Please visit my OSR products for sale at
    www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

kyoteblue
    Participant

The flash seems to have washed the colors out. but that could just be me.

Norm S
    Participant

I am guessing that these have a very good look to them, especially the tonal difference between the helmet and the uniform.

A couple of points though if you don’t mind on the presentation of photography. firstly your files appear too large, both here and at Lead Adventure Forum, the images take too long to download – I backed out the first time. You need to pass the photographs through a re-size software. There is quite a lot of free stuff around to these sort of jobs. You want to be resizing to around 600 pixels wide for the sort of detail that you want to show.

Secondly, it is hard to get a true idea of your colour because of photo technique. The flash has been too powerful and too close, so the image is ‘blown out’.  There are plenty of youtube tutorials about getting that right (note you can try putting a bit of tracing paper / clouded clear plastic over the flash to diffuse it (sort of dampen it down).

Secondly and more importantly is your control of camera white balance. You have use indoor lighting which gives a warm effect (low kelvin) so in effect yellows the subject (go too far the other way and you will end up with a cold blue cast – high kelvin) and makes true colour difficult to discern if the camera WHITE BALANCE is not adjusted to match the light source – auto WB setting  is not always good enough.

If you go into your camera settings, there will likely be some settings for your WHITE BALANCE. for shooting under household light, the setting is best adjusted to the icon that looks like a domestic light bulb, this will return a truer balance to your pictures. Remember though to turn that setting back to auto when you have  ended that photo session.

If you have a hot shoe fitting on the top of you camera, there are some LED attachments that you can get which give a ‘daylight’ effect and there-by reducing colour cast in pictures (do a Google search on Lumie Manfrotto to get an idea what these sort of things do). Hope some of that helps.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Norm S.
    Coyotepunc
    Participant

Norm, I really REALLY appreciate you taking the time and effort to give me guidance on miniature photography. Unfortunately, I am using my phone camera (best on the markt, LG G5, but still a phone) and am trying to snap the shots in me sister-in-law’s dining room. Once we have our own place (hopefully by the weekend) and get it set up with all of our own stuff (including my lights, hopefully by the end of the month) I will be taking some nice pictures again. I can’t believe we’ve been bouncing around family since last November… I am really looking forward to having a place of our own again.

Please visit my OSR products for sale at
    www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.