Home Forums WWII Books on Crusader?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Any good books that deal specifically with Operation Crusader? (or covers it extensively, even if it also addresses other campaigns?)

Cheers!

Well, there is always Osprey’s Campaign series.  #220 is on this very subject.  https://ospreypublishing.com/operation-crusader-1941-pb

I have not read this specific one but others in the series have been good, fun reads.  Makes for an excellent starting point.  Panzer Armee Afrika is another good choice though it cover the whole of the desert War from the German perspective.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

“With Rommel in the Desert” by Schmidt has a good chunk on Crusader as written from the other sides view point. Specifics are lacking, but the book is very well written and a gripping read.

Participant

Mike Carvers “Tobruk” is quite old but covers Crusader and Gazala in minute detail.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

It’s not a book, but the best place to start for anything on Op Crusader is without doubt The Crusader Project:

https://rommelsriposte.com

I must declare a slight interest, as the site is run by my good friend Andreas Biermann (who some of you may remember as GermanBoy, the author of numerous scenarios for Combat Mission). Andreas is fluent in German, English, and Italian (his wife is Italian) and has done much primary-source archival research in all three languages. He also understands the context well, both from his friends who have done field research in Libya and from his extensive researches as a keen hobby warmer. His own military experience was as a national serviceman in the Luftwaffe during the Cold War. I believe that all this makes him the first historian to have a really sound grip on the experience of Crusader from the perspective of all three of the major participants.

All the best,

John.

Participant

Appreciate the suggestions and I’ll definitely check out that website, that sounds fascinating!

Participant

That is a great website, thanks for linking.

Participant

I’ve been clicking around that site all day, while we were at the car dealer. It’s wonderful.

Participant

Thanks for the compliments all, and the plug to John! Although I’m not sure what a keen hobby warmer is…

I hope readers will find the site interesting. I know one of the little articles has been turned into a wargame:

A costly Strike– No 107 Squadron 11 October 1941

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.kr/2013/04/bag-hun-malta-game-four-2.html?m=0

Enjoy the read, any questions, comment under the article, I will revert.

All the best

Andreas

Participant

On the question of books.

Osprey has been mentioned, it’s okay. I personally prefer Carver, although it all predates the release of ULTRA information, and I think he intended it as a teachable moment.

There is one specific book in English, called ‘Operation Crusader’, funnily enough, by Richard Humble. Can be picked up cheap. It’s not great.

Inside the Afrika Korps is a great rant by the Ia of 15.PD, Kriebel. He did of course have much to rant about.

My favourite operational study is ‘The Sidi Rezeg Battles’, which is the unofficial Official South African History. It’s pretty awesome.

Haven’t read ‘Early Battles of 8th Army’, I think.

All the best

Andreas

Participant

Although I’m not sure what a keen hobby warmer is…

It’s a “keen hobby wargamer” from which the “ga” has been omitted, possibly due to the writer being gaga.

All the best,

John.

Participant

I find it’s important to keep my wargaming hobby at an even 27 celcius 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.