Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Breakout from the Cherbourg Blockade

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by MattH MattH 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

As promised, here’s the first half of an after action report for the International Naval Wargames Day scenario that I played out yesterday.

I still need to finish the second half of the game but, thus far, the French are doing quite well.

The ironclad ram Taureau has been particularly effective, despite being armed with only a single 9” bow chaser and having not actually rammed anything (yet). By contrast, HMS Northumberland and HMS Warrior have both been damaged, with critical hits to engines and gun deck respectively.

‘There must be something wrong with our bloody ships today?’

..or as the French gunners might say…

‘Bof!’

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/2018/08/broadside-and-ram-breakout-from.html

The rules are Broadside and Ram by Long Face Games and the as yet unpainted (!) but very nice models are from the Tumbling Dice 1/2400th scale Victorian range.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Jim Jackaman Jim Jackaman.

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Apologies to any French readers for the terrible stereotyping (my wife is French too)

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

Nice report Jim – how did you do the speech bubbles?

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Just in MS Paint…easy.

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

Cool – I didn’t realise those shapes were there! Thanks Jim

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Yes, in the toolbar at the top there are a number of shapes you can add to an image but you need to flip them to fit and fill / outline them in the colour of your choice. The lettering is done with the lettering tool over the top of the bubble. Very simple.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Especially as the Taureau is heading for a side on ram with HMS Warrior or Northumberland, depending on which way the Royal Navy decide to turn! It might even end up with one of the ironclads ramming the ram!

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Apologies to any French readers for the terrible stereotyping (my wife is French too)

All we need now is Jemima Fawr to pop up with his version of the motto of the French navy:

"A l'eau c'est l'heure!" – The Sailors of the Guard (AB Figures)

McKinstry
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing those Tumbling Dice ships painted. I need some inspiration to get moving on my own collection.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing those Tumbling Dice ships painted. I need some inspiration to get moving on my own collection.

I have some of the later 1870s-1880s French and British ships. They’re lovely models but I really wish they came without sails, they just look wrong. I generally replace them with spars, either bits of guitar string or TD’s spars with furled sail from the Napoleonic range. The problem is some of the models come with sails molded onto the hull, in which case I usually keep the fore and aft rig and just replace the square sails with spars.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by MattH MattH. Reason: Typo

McKinstry
    Participant

Hi Matt:

Thank you for the pictures. I also cannot fathom why they come with sails and have purchased the extra furled yards since they just don’t look right in full sail. I wish TD would just do them as going into battle. The sails were, as I understand it, only used to conserve coal and would never have been deployed in battle.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve replaced the sails on all of my Prussian and Danish TD ships with staples cut to size as spars.

The British and French ironclads were glued together ages ago before I realised how tricky it is to paint them with the full sail set.

Lovely paintwork on your ones!

Any tips?

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

Hi Matt: Thank you for the pictures. I also cannot fathom why they come with sails and have purchased the extra furled yards since they just don’t look right in full sail. I wish TD would just do them as going into battle. The sails were, as I understand it, only used to conserve coal and would never have been deployed in battle.

Yes indeed, and actually by the 1870s they were pretty much only used in emergencies as far as I can tell, which is why it’s particularly daft to have a ship like the Alexandra with sails molded to the mizzen. Paul has obviously done his homework with the sculpting, so he must know this, and I can only assume he thought they looked ‘better’ with sails, much like many people seem to think that ancient galleys look ‘better’ with sails set.

Here’s a pic of the Shah with those furled yards from TD. They’re slightly less fiddly to do, and definitely more robust, but I think I prefer the look of the guitar string spars.

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve replaced the sails on all of my Prussian and Danish TD ships with staples cut to size as spars. The British and French ironclads were glued together ages ago before I realised how tricky it is to paint them with the full sail set. Lovely paintwork on your ones! Any tips?

Ah yes, I remember stumbling across your blog when I was painting these. It was reassuring to know I wasn’t the only one dealing with the pain of trying to superglue small bits of wire to masts.

As regards painting, thank you, I was mostly happy with the French ones, less so with the British. The macro lens is very unforgiving, they look better on the table. Tips – black undercoat, do the decks, then sails (grrr…), masts, then superstructure. One colour and then a highlight in each area. Don’t worry too much about sploshing the paint over bits you’d rather it didn’t go, you’ll have to do touchups at the end anyway. On black hulls do a light drybrush of very dark grey to bring out the detail. I used Liquitex medium gloss gel for the sea base texture, painted white and then washed with Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue, then drybrushing and stippling of white. That combination seems to blend reasonably well with the Tiny Wargames sea cloth.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by MattH MattH.
    Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I do like your dark grey hull shade and highlighting, together with your sea effect colours. Very effective.

I also bought some of the TD spars with furled sails but thought they looked a bit overscale and couldn’t work out how best to glue them on to the masts, so went down the staples and superglue route instead. Is your cloth the dark sea one or a lighter version?

Thanks for the tips…I’m supposed to have started painting my ironclads over the summer but have been side tracked by the usual holiday activities (and by the lovely weather!)

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

My cloth is just the standard sea or ocean or whatever they call it.

As for the weather – what, you let sunshine get in the way of wargaming? Shameful.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.