Home Forums WWII Brief overview of the events surrounding "Ochi" Day 28th October 1940

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Konstantinos Travlos Konstantinos Travlos 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I have written a brief blog post with an overview of the events and background to the eruption of the war between the Kingdom of Greece and Kingdom of Italy in 28th October 1940.

https://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/2017/10/a-very-brief-post-about-28th-october.html

With Respect
    KTravlos

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

Axel Oxenstierna

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Excellent stuff, well worth a read; although of course it is always disappointing to discover that another of Winston Churchill’s famous quotations is fictional.

I suspect that one reason the Greek-Italian conflict gets so little attention from miniature wargamers is the traditional obsession with armour and mobile warfare. Meeting engagements on the steppes or in the desert seem to receive a disproportionate amount of attention, and it seems quite unusual to see an infantry-only game (above skirmish level), or a game set in a more static “hell in a very small place” context on difficult terrain. Brest-Litovsk, Sevastopol, Tobruk, 150 Brigade Box, Bir Hakeim, Ortona, Rapido River, Hangman’s Hill, Cherbourg, Hurtgen, Reichswald, Admin Box, Kohima, Fort Dufferin, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa… it’s not that these battles aren’t famous, it’s just that wargamers mostly can’t be bothered, and I doubt many existing sets of rules would work at all well for them. “Crossfire” probably ought to work for this sort of thing, but I’m damned if I can remember how its artillery rules work.

All the best,

John.

Thank you for reading and your kind words. I think the meeting engagement on open terrain preference is actually shared by people beyond WW2 gaming. Even with Bloody Big Battles, which is a game with a heavy respect for terrain, my collected data indicates that the most played games are those with the least terrain. Partly it might be a cost issue, though I think a lot of it is a adherence to an impossible model of terrain making for most wargamers, which ends up pushing them to scenarios light on terrain.

Axel Oxenstierna

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I too love terrain-heavy, infantry-centric games. But from my own limited experience, I’ve found that gamers aren’t necessarily into that—I’ve had trouble filling seats with convention games based around close infantry fighting (Okinawa, New Guinea) and from the couple of little scenario packs I sell, infantry combat in the Pacific is far less popular than Normandy stuff.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Fascinating post, thank you, Konstantinos.

On games with or without armour: it has to be said that the former are potentially more interesting in a couple of ways. First, you just get more variety of toys to put on the table. For many players this is a non-trivial factor. Second, the variety of troops types makes for more complex and interesting tactical combinations. Third, the relative mobility of armour can make a game situation change more significantly from turn to turn, presenting different decisions each turn with greater frequency, = more interesting games.

Not to say that armour-free WWII battles can’t present fascinating challenges and memorable games. Just that adding some tanks improves the chances.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Hi Tim,

Only played Crossfire a couple of times but yes, agreed, with the right rules an infantry-only game can move quickly. Perhaps the first two reasons I gave are more important.

Personally I’d definitely be up for gaming the Italian invasion of Greece, tanks or no tanks.

Maybe another reason it gets neglected by (Anglophone) wargamers is just lack of good English-language sources?

Chris

I have a link in the blog post to an overview of the literature, and there are english language sources for both the Italians and the Greeks. The issue might be that, to me at least this seems to be the case, most WW2 game is at the platoon or company level, and the books available focus on the theater and operational level of strategy.

Axel Oxenstierna

willz
    willz
    Participant

Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all for reading my post!

Axel Oxenstierna

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.