Home Forums WWII British Balloon Attacks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Never seen this before.  The U.K. used balloons to attack the European mainland in WW2.

YouTube link

hammurabi70
    Participant

The classic dilemma of whether one is the ‘first‘ to discover something or the ‘last‘.  Yes, known about it for a long time [it has a Wiki entry] but the first time I read of it then it was a new discovery. It is obscure; I am sure there are many who have not heard of it. I thought everyone knew about Elephant Bill and his elephants in Burma in WWII until I posted something on a forum.  To post, or not to post, that is the question.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

…To post, or not to post, that is the question.

Post and be dammed

TBH – I’m happy to post as someone may not have seen it and they may find it interesting (as I did and I do not play WW2 anymore).

Others can either skip over the post or chip in that they knew about it (and possibly add to it).

Anyway – I’ve got to go hunt an elephant or two now (never heard of that one either).

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Sort of like the WW2 Japanese “sub base” called La Palma in southern Mexico.  I thought everyone knew about it, but it is apparently pretty obscure.  Sadly there was just about nothing left there when I visited.  Same for Magdalena Bay, nothing there, but “well known fact” to buffs of the fringe.

It is amazing how much damage and inconvenience the balloons caused.  I guess there’s no metric to determine how truly effective they were, but it would be super cool to find out that a balloon caused some major incident that heavily contributed to victory.  Might make for an interesting McGuffin in a novel.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jim Webster
    Participant

Thanks for posting it, fascinating

Jim

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Tony S
    Participant

I’ll happily display my ignorance by thanking Andrew for posting the link.  News to me!

Although I did know about the elephants, so there’s that.  Do I get bonus points for mentioning the HMS Habakkuk pykcrete aircraft carrier?

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

…Do I get bonus points for mentioning the HMS Habakkuk pykcrete aircraft carrier?

Of course, and extra points if you can name the show that recreated the material and made a boat that worked…

Tony S
    Participant

I’d say Mythbusters!  My sons and I used to love that show!

Mike Headden
    Participant

Balloons, huh?! Well, TIL! Every time I think there are no more WW2 weirdnesses to discover, along comes another. Thanks for the post and the link.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

I’d say Mythbusters! My sons and I used to love that show!

And you would win the prize

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.