Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic British Napoleonic Uniforms

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

It’s a book 🙂

Authored by Carl Franklin. Does anyone own and/or have an opinion on its accuracy before I splash my hard-earned?

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781862274846/British-Napoleonic-Uniforms-First-Complete-1862274843/plp

"I'm not signing that"

willz
    Participant
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Don’t have a copy.

However – I believe it is generally well regarded.

Caveats –

Doesn’t cover artillery uniforms (separate volume – Napoleonic Field Artillery).

There are apparently some errors – some ‘made up’ lace and some with unusual/untraceable/unlikely provenance. Most complaints came from re-enactment groups I think. I sold a couple of copies a few years ago and nobody ever complained or asked for their money back -not that that proves anything – you have to know your stuff pretty well already I guess before you can start to criticise to that degree.

I thought about keeping a copy for myself but I had moved over to 6mm figures by then and frankly it didn’t seem worth it for my approach to painting/gaming the period.

For 28mm, and the way some people paint 15mm, it is a good buy (if you don’ panic someone is going to pick up on the two or three mistakes he may lead you into).

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Thanks chaps.

I’ve never worried about bastion/square lace and its spacing on any size figure Guy, and I’m not going to start now. Besides, you’ve probably figured out that if people want to get nitpicky I can give as good as I get 🙂

Amazon can deliver a copy tomorrow. Be rude not to, another reference book to swell the collection…

"I'm not signing that"

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

My impression is that there is some concern with the traceability of the sources and about “filling in the blanks”. It certainly is a hansom effort far better than the Histoire & Collections. It appears to provide a solid baseline at any rate.

I took a glance at a copy and noted the 3d Foot Guard was shown with decidedly crimson jackets. There wasn’t anything in the notes. Then I realized any number of line regiments were shown the same way. Couldn’t see anything in the write up on Jackets. My guess is it is intended to indicate variability in the dyeing. Anyone have more insight?

General Slade
    Participant

I like the book, it’s nicely laid out and illustrated and I have found it very useful.  I don’t have it in front of me right now but my memory is that whilst it is very good on general things it is not always so good on the idiosyncrasies of individual regiments (as far as I recall it won’t, for example, tell you that all companies of fusilier regiments wore white hackles or that the 5th Northumberland regiment did likewise).  Also, Mr Franklin’s prose isn’t always easy to read but on the plus side there isn’t much of it – the book is mainly pictures.

@Jonathan Gingerich

I could be wrong about this, but I think there was a problem with the first print run and some of the colours came out other than was intended.  In my version officers’ coats are scarlet while those of the rank and file are brick red (as in the plates posted by willz above).

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I bought it, from Amazon. 2nd edition, hardback, cover price £50. I paid £33.

I haven’t found any glaring errors yet, and it seems perfectly adequate for my needs. I don’t consider myself a Napoleonic historian, and am not going to get sniffy over button colours and lace.

It’s certainly a better reference than the little black and white line drawings with descriptive text (what shade is gosling green, or aurore, anyway?) in MilMod and Airfix Magazine of the early 70s, and has far more detail (if less scope obviously) than my Funckens 🙂

"I'm not signing that"

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

My cracked and taped and pencil-translated Funckens still grace my shelf, although I haven’t opened them for ages (nor the Eltings for that matter).

Funny you should mention the white hackles of the fusiliers, G. S. I don’t pay much attention to British uniforms, but I stumbled upon that exception, and spent a little bit of time trying to run it down on the internet. I found post-period official acknowledgement, but I could not find an authoritative source confirming the practice during the era. I worry that it’s one of those things “everybody knows” and no one can say why.

JG

General Slade
    Participant

My cracked and taped and pencil-translated Funckens still grace my shelf, although I haven’t opened them for ages (nor the Eltings for that matter). — Funny you should mention the white hackles of the fusiliers, G. S. I don’t pay much attention to British uniforms, but I stumbled upon that exception, and spent a little bit of time trying to run it down on the internet. I found post-period official acknowledgement, but I could not find an authoritative source confirming the practice during the era. I worry that it’s one of those things “everybody knows” and no one can say why. JG

Hi Jonathan,

I got the information from this thread on TMP (which I was taking part in under the screen name SJDonovan – embarrassingly I note that I spelt fusilier wrong).  I don’t know the guy who posts as ‘dibble’ but he seems to know his stuff when it comes to British uniforms of the period and he does give a non-internet source for his information.  Though of course there is always the possibility that the authors of the book got their information from the internet in the first place.

British Fusilier Centre Company Plume/Hackle Colour

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Excellent! I missed that thread. Paul Dibble(?) is certainly a voice I listen to, like Oliver Schmidt for the Prussians.

Looks like Franklin mentions “feather plume” for the 5th, other ranks “grenadier distinctions” for the 7th, but only calls out wings for the 21st and 23d. Get that pencil out NCS!-)

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Excellent! I missed that thread. Paul Dibble(?) is certainly a voice I listen to, like Oliver Schmidt for the Prussians. — Looks like Franklin mentions “feather plume” for the 5th, other ranks “grenadier distinctions” for the 7th, but only calls out wings for the 21st and 23d. Get that pencil out NCS!-)

Nah, doesn’t bother me that much. I won’t be repainting any of my collection. 🙂

Thanks everybody for your input.

"I'm not signing that"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.