Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Broadside and Ram rules query

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been working out the scenario for my INWarD 2018 game and have hit a snag with the rules. In Broadside and Ram each squadron gets an AP dice roll to spend on movement, firing and repairs. For movement, the rules state that 1 AP can be used for one straight line move at cruise speed. At the same time, in the movement rules section, it clearly states than no AP’s are spent for cruise movement.

This is contradictory, so I assume that all ships get a free forward cruise move each turn, which makes sense as you can’t just stop in the water, but any additional forward movement must be paid for in AP’s, along with any other manoeuvres. Alternatively, each ship only gets one forward movement, then any AP’s to be spent can only be used for turning, accelerating or decelerating, leaving the rest for firing, repairs etc. This would seem to be a more realistic option and would prevent any movement over extended distances.

Any help with this to sort it out would be very much appreciated, otherwise I’ll have to work out which approach to take myself.

Many Thanks

Jim

Participant

Moving at cruise = no AP

Moving at anything other than cruise requires an AP

Participant

Thanks David,

That’s what I thought. Played the scenario this afternoon and the rules worked very smoothly.

I had to stop after three turns as the dining room table was needed but will re set the game and finish it tomorrow.

At end of play today, the French were winning and the Taureau was about to ram HMS Northumberland amidships, although the Royal Navy was about to start a phase so it may well end up the other way around?

Some top dice rolling by the French and some dodgy dice rolls by the British mean that the Taureau has inflicted some nasty critical damage on both HMS Warrior and HMS Northumberland, although getting a couple of broadsides back.

Meanwhile the French ironclad squadron is making a getaway, which is the objective, unless the British realise what’s going on and move to stop them before they escape into the Western Approaches.

It will be interesting to see how well Taureau does at a full on ram attack (I decided to give specialized ram vessels like the Taureau and Cerbere a 2D6 roll for ram attacks, as their AF is usually weak due to often only having limited firepower)

I will post an after action report on my blog.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Participant

I’ll be playing the rest of the scenario today and will post some photos on the blog.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.