Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Bug hunt with 5Core

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Bug hunting. Having painted up my colonial marines and some xenomorphs, I thought it was high time for a bug hunt. I also decided to use 5Core because I have never used them but have had them knocking around for a few years.

It was good fun.

Andrew BeasleyAndrew Beasley
    Participant

Would have said ‘Are you trying to be a hero Watkins?’ but that’s the wrong planet – A bug planet but the wrong planet

My favourite bit of you post was the ‘throw away’ comment

The civilian made for the mountains, likely to die of desert exposure or dehydration.

I think that may be preferable to other ways around there…

Nice report – thanks for sharing.

That was great – thanks for sharing!

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Thanks gents. I was worried the civilian would get in the way, but in the end I did absolutely no use of explosives. There is always next game…

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Thank you for that write up. I just recently bought those same miniatures but hadn’t worked out quite what to do with them. You have given me ideas for scenarios, other than the standard one from Aliens. And a look into a possible rules set.

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Thank you for that write up. I just recently bought those same miniatures but hadn’t worked out quite what to do with them. You have given me ideas for scenarios, other than the standard one from Aliens. And a look into a possible rules set.

It was good fun. I house ruled the spawning mechanics. Starport Scum is a set I would recommend, and it will enable you to make the aliens as impossible to beat or cannon fodder as you like. Also there are a plethora of actual bug hunting rules out there, such as Swatters.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Love your narratives.  It’s amazing how much damage just a couple of xenos can do, even under concentrated fire.  Sad that only the one civie was found, and driven bonkers at that.  Looking forwards to the carcass picking!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

OK I am stupid. Is 5core an old version or do you mean FiveCore 3rd edition skirmish (which was uploaded to Wargames Vault over three and a half years ago) or even Five Parsecs (which was added over two and a half years ago)? So both have been around long enough to be “old”. Both appear to be skirmish games but with more character detail making them somewhere in between wargames and role playing games. Much like Skirmish Sangin where you need to spend some time detailing the individuals in a game, but play them as members of a team as opposed to playing only the single character, which usually entails much more detail.

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I mean the FiveCore third edition skirmish rules. They are what I used. I armed the marines with standard listed weapons but gave them no abilities. To the xenos I gave a bunch of listed abilities from the standard rules.

My understanding of Five Parsecs from Home is that is is a much more in depth rpg element that fills the gaps between the skirmishes and has more comprehensive abilities and ideas.

I like telling a narrative with battles, and my first small figure count game was Star wars miniatures from WOTC. So characters had abilities that played out. These rules give me individual characters if I want, and ideas for campaigns and stories.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I have been buying way too many rules lately, especially different skirmish rules, so being reasonably priced I am still having cheapskate thinking. Even before the quarantine I have been having poor luck finding opponents so rules which work well solo is becoming more important to me. I don’t care for solo but opponents are harder to find than back in the day although general gamers are much easier to find.

I like RPGs so theoretically a narrative game should be acceptable, except for having to play with myself!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.