Home Forums Modern Building a 28mm Ultra Modern Russian BMP Platoon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Alternative working title being Modern Russian BMP platoon: a buyers guide. I’ve been fairly frustrated with trying to sort out organisation for this so I figured I’d share my workings. For this we’re looking at 28mm miniatures from Empress (all pack references are to them) and BMP-3s since that’s what I’ve been stuck working with.

Referencing the information as provided in this thread we have three motor rifle squads together with a platoon command and fire support team spread across three BMP-3 transports. Each BMP-3 holds a driver, gunner and commander plus 7 dismounts. Two packs of CWR008 from the Chechen wars range would give some reasonably suitable crews though.

Dismounting and deployment of a BMP platoon into line.

The Platoon Command & fire support team consists of the Platoon Leader, an assistant, a Sniper and a two man medium machinegun team. It is spread across the transports rather than having it’s own. A medic can also be attached. To make this use the following packs:

RUS05 for  the Platoon Leader, his assistant and potentially a medic.

RUS01 for the sniper, PKP machinegun and 1 rifleman for assistant
    Spare miniatures: 1 rifle, 1 commander rifle

For the 3 dismounting squads of 6 the organization is:
    Squad leader (often with an Under-barrel Grenade Launcher)
    Machinegunner (with RPK-74M)
    RPG gunner with an RPG-32 and a rifle
    Assistant with a pair of spare rounds and a rifle
    Senior rifleman (often with a UGL)
    Rifleman (these two usually bring a disposable RPG, in this case probably an RPG-28)

RUS03 makes most of this with the RPK, rifleman with UGL and rifleman with RPG and a pointing rifleman with plain gun suitable for a squad leader. RUS04 does the RPG-32 team.. RUS02 almost does the same but has 2 riflemen with grenade launchers so one could be used as a squad leader. Or swapped with a spare body from the command unit I guess.

1 RUS02 + 1 RUS04
    1 RUS02 + 1 RUS04
    1 RUS03 + 1 RUS04

Spare models: 3 tripod mounted MG teams. Which is dead silly really given that the RPG is apparently a standard squad level weapon, yet it’s packed with something that normally won’t even turn up in a platoon. I hope that is of help to anyone else looking to get into this.

Participant

Building modern platoons and trying to fit packs of miniatures to an actual platoon (and figuring out exactly how they go in the **** vehicles) is a game in itself.

Is the sniper a dedicated soldier? I’ve read pieces indicating that it’s just a weapon assignment and is given to one of the riflemen, while other sources indicate it’s an additional soldier, distinct from the regular squaddies.

Participant

Is the sniper a dedicated soldier? I’ve read pieces indicating that it’s just a weapon assignment and is given to one of the riflemen, while other sources indicate it’s an additional soldier, distinct from the regular squaddies.

As far as I can tell this is a ‘when’ thingy.  It seems the first Chechen war brought squad-level marksmen back into prominence (iirc following failing to carry on many lessons from the Afghanistan war) as the Chechens made significant use of them. This lead to there being quite a few regular soldiers just given an SVD, and then poor performance of said soldiers leading to VDV and other more trained marksmen being attached to regular infantry. For the 2000 invasion of Grozny I’ve read that the Russians essentially copied the Chechen model of organizing fireteams around MGs, RPGs and marksmen to great effect. The platoon structure I’ve been following though is one based on the 2005+ model, where the sniper is a specifically trained person within the platoon’s fire support and command section rather than just a marksman.

I’d assume that were there to be circumstances that require it that additional SVDs might be handed out to the better marksmen in a unit to act as designated marksmen rather than snipers. Assuming that the practice was considered worthwhile enough to carry on/remember over a decade since it was last needed that is. Am slowly building up more information on this over time though, as I can find it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.