Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Burning Sands RPG?

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Any interest in a Burning Sands RPG that is based around the skirmish rules?

I would take the 3 main stats and they would still be in it, so you could swap between the RPG and wargame as you pleased and keep the same characters.

OBVS more detail in terms of skills/stats/etc and what not, but just a curious yay or nay?

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Excellent idea, especially if you follow it up with an army level combat system…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

Yay

Tally-Ho!

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I could be interested. My tastes run toward simplistic TTRPGs though. Something like Barbarians of Lemuria but with a less hobbled combat system, or maybe like a swords-and-sorcery hack of Lasers & Feelings. So, maybe not the kind of game design you have in mind.

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

I’m interested too. I alwady like the injury system. Having a dice pool RPG rules would be great.

Tired is enough.

Ali Dogan SayinerAli Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

I’m interested too!

find me
    www.iliadagamestudio.com
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/iliadagamestudio/
    [email protected]

Having a dice pool RPG rules would be great.

Thanks.
    Is it a dice pool game?

I think of dice pools as you have a number of dice you can roll per action and once you have used them you are done.
    So say you had a dice pool of 10.
    You could make 2 attacks of 5 dice, or 1 attack of 10 dice.

BS (bad acronym I know) does not allow that. Your dice rolls are fixed at the skill/stat.

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

Hmmm, yeah. I didn’t have a quick way of describing Burning Sand rules.
    I was thinking of having a pool of dice to draw on for actions, possibly once the pool ran out the turn is over.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

I think an RPG is a great idea.  Will this be a background free set, or will the background be something of your invention, with Conan-ish nods?

And I agree with the above about army level rules.  I know that’s not generally your bag, but being able t have all 3 sets in your stable would be beneficial in my opinion.  (and perhaps put THE in front of the name so it can be TBS?)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

It will be using the background from my games, so I will draw from the games/comics my wiki and add more.
    This will be in the book.

Just working out skills/abilities and the combat system.
    Trying to keep it light like the skirmish game but not too light..

Also keeping it all d6 based is a challenge…     😀

Coyotepunc
    Participant

I can’t think of a single reason this would be a bad idea.

Please visit my OSR products for sale at
    www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Question for you all.

When you said yes to the RPG, was that as you like the setting and want more setting notes/lore?

Was it you want more abilities/rules you can use in the normal skirmish game?

Was it you wanted an in depth immersive new system?

Other?

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

was that as you like the setting and want more setting notes/lore?

Not really, I like and enjoy reading about your setting, but almost certainly would not use it ‘as is’, because I’m a ‘world builder’ too…

Was it you want more abilities/rules you can use in the normal skirmish game?

Yes, I’d settle for that, but…

Was it you wanted an in depth immersive new system?

…what I really want is this, as long as characters are transferable between ‘BS RPG’ and ‘BS Skirmish’, and maybe, possibly, one day (pretty please) ‘BS Bigger Scrap’ (BSBS?)

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Mainly a casual interest in RPG rules design, especially on the more rules-light end of that spectrum.

what I really want is this, as long as characters are transferable between ‘BS RPG’ and ‘BS Skirmish

That is the bit that is causing the swearing!

😀

My notes..

2d6 rolls and prowess bonus.

24 fights: 7 point hero vs 1 x 5 point goon.
    23 wins
    1 win with wounds

24 fights: 7 point hero vs 2 x 5 point goons.
    6 wins
    8 wins with wounds
    10 deaths

Goons 1 pt armour.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

That is the bit that is causing the swearing!

Because you want to use bigger numbers and not d6s?

Because you want to use bigger numbers and not d6s?

No so much that, that is fine.

It is trying to port what is essentially a system designed for hero models to slaughter lone baddies but struggle against groups into a system where a one on one fight is not a forgone conclusion.
    The issue being that BS heroes have 6 actions vs a villains 2.
    The villains are just zero threat, if you reduce the vitality of the heroes and thus reduce the actions to make it more of a worry when entering melee then you are losing the core of the engine.

Writing a new system that can not be ported would be a doddle.

I am still messing around with ideas though…

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”><strong style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>My notes..

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>2d6 rolls and prowess bonus.

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”><em style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>24 fights: 7 point hero vs 1 x 5 point goon.
    23 wins
    1 win with wounds

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”><em style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>24 fights: 7 point hero vs 2 x 5 point goons.
    6 wins
    8 wins with wounds
    10 deaths

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important;”>

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Goons 1 pt armour.

Ho does the 7 points Hero fair against 2x 4 points or 3 points points goons? Maybe it’s a matter of total points instead of number of models?

Tired is enough.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Ho does the 7 points Hero fair against 2x 4 points or 3 points points goons? Maybe it’s a matter of total points instead of number of models?

I’ve been fiddling with a similar system for dinosaur combat; allowing, say, deinonychus to bring down a brachiosaur, but only if they attack as a pack, a singleton will finish up with a crushed skull. It works after a fashion, but if not resolved in one round the required record keeping is demoralising.

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

…record keeping is demoralising.

Nooooooooooo! but I can see tracking multiple models a pain, especially if they have different stats.

Tired is enough.

PatricePatrice
    Participant

Well… some friends of mine have come to the conclusion that it’s easier to play RPG skirmish starting with a skirmish ruleset intended for RPG and adapting it as they like, rather than the other way round… But I’m biased they are using my rules.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.