Home Forums WWI Cambrai

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Ochoin Ochoin 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

My pal Dan hosted his most ambitious WW1 game so far. Dan was a wargaming newbie to our group & wanted to do something on his own. He decided the Great War & in about 9 months, has produced this.

I was inclined to avoid WW1 but these rules make it very playable. I am rather chuffed at my role in mentoring Dan into his first wargaming project but to be honest, it’s otherwise all his own work. Talk is cheap but painting & modelling take commitment.He’s using ‘Great War Spearhead’ from advice I got here.

I was the German commander. I had to hold the trenches (Hindenberg Lines) & the bridge. At Turn 5, my counter-attack arrived at the bridge. The rules make you dice every turn for every tank to see if it’s broken down. In previous games, the tanks were usually left behind because of this. Damien, the British commander, did not really suffer from this, throwing consistently good dice.My big hope was to shell his two prong attack into mud & blood but he, cunning chap, masked his advance with smoke. He took the first objective, destroyed my counter-attack (advancing through open ground!!!) and failed (just) to crack the Hindenberg Line, giving him a Minor Victory.

The rules do have a lot to them that we’ll add on as time progresses. Poison gas & aircraft come next.

[/url]

donald

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by Ochoin Ochoin.

greg954
    Participant

Just curious why your pal chose Cambrai?

I went over to France to commemorate the 90th anniversary many years ago. Having an affiliation towards The Royal Tank Regiment. On the last day we met Philippe Gorcynski a historian on the battle of Cambrai. It was when he and his team had just recovered D51 Deborah. Which was knock out by the Germans then buried and unearthed by Philippe all those decades later. A fascinating story.

Although I don’t do WW1 as a genre. I wouldn’t hesitate to have a game. If I did, I think I would play with the battle of Cambrai and Deborah at the back of my mind.

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

That’s a pretty impressive set up for a newbie! Looks like a great game! I was involved with a team of archaeologists who excavated the hunting lodge in Bourlon Woods that was used as a HQ during Cambrai. We also found remains of two of the tanks that were knocked out there as well. It was filmed for a Canadian TV show called Finding the Fallen. Some of the episodes are on Youtube.

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

I can’t find the full episode, but here’s the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRgfdGMse8Y

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I can’t find the full episode, but here’s the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRgfdGMse8Y

Thanks for that.

He chose Cambrai for the tanks and as a fairly open battlefield that was not too damaged by previous fighting.

I think there’s a scenario in the rule book.

One of the interesting things about the game is the number of casualties. In trenches, you have a reasonable chance of survival but if caught in the open, large numbers just “melt away”. One of my few triumphs was shooting up some cavalry he was bringing up for the hoped for breakthrough.

My pal has painted quite a few figures but as “wargaming megalomania” grips him & he paints more, we’ll be able to deploy waves of troops. I think then, games will have to be strictly worked out in terms of a finite number of game turns.

donald

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

We’ve been hammering out some simple, add on rules for planes.

Essentially, each sides gets a maximum of 4 aircraft for the game (diced for, so conceivably less). These are to be in 3 separate classes: Recce (for artillery spotting), tactical bombing & pursuit. Ideally, you’d opt for one of each, with the extra plane being Pursuit, if in defence, or Recce, if attacking.

At the beginning of the turn, the player with initiative chooses a plane & places it on the table, over the trenches. The opposing player then can do likewise.  AA fire (essentially any MGs within range) is calculated. “Hits” drive off the aircraft before it can be used in its role. The plane may return on another game turn.

Recce allows artillery ranges to be doubled. Tactical bombing is handled with a template & follows the artillery rules (except no Suppression: merely kills or misses).

Pursuit planes are placed alongside an enemy plane & a simple die roll (with some modifiers), destroys one plane or the other or both are driven off.

So no flying over the battlefield, no issues over height, no complicated mechanisms. Quick & dirty but these should add to the fun.

donald

vtsaogames
    vtsaogames
    Participant

Hmm, nice simple air rules. Thanks.

https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Hmm, nice simple air rules. Thanks.

If you want, you can go a bit mad over the modifiers. A plane with forward firing MGs gets a + for instance. We also decided any Pursuit plane that shoots down an enemy becomes an ‘Ace’ and gets a + in combat.

We’ve run through the aerial rules a number of times & they work & don’t take much time away from the PBI, which is the point of the game (WW1 Spearhead).

donald

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.